Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Asiawing has more details on their new stuff 
    OK, the improved website for Asiawing is up and running. It is in both Chinese and English. There is detail on both their 450 dirt bike and the 500 street-fighter, and they are introducing a 250 enduro, but no details on that one, yet.

Chinese:
    www.asiawing.com

English:
    http://asiawing.com/english/index.asp

Improved site for sure, not perfect, but better than 90% of the Chinese motorcycle websites.

Really interested in the spark 500. But I will ask them if they are thinking about making a motard version of the 450 as I prefer this engine. I really hope these bikes are well built and I would love to be riding around Shandong province on a 30KW-32KW bike which is legally registered and built locally (it may be a problem getting the bike registered for a reasonable price, but I expect the factory have connections ). I know the bikes are reasonably priced, and if they are any good, I'll be very happy.

It says engine has a ceramic coated cylinder bore and BOSCH fuel injection, all based on Cagiva technology.

Yes, they seem impressive, so hopefully will make a big entrance. The Chinese site does show the 450 in enduro guise (I think), and the Spark in black, so it seems like you guys in China get all the good stuff!

888, I hope you can get to see their factory. I also hope Carl can get to meet the manager in Indianapolis in a few weeks! He (Carl) has promised me a new bike from the companies he meets up with, so I will anxiously await the bike!!

I forgot to add, and you mentioned it, ZCM, but the 450 has more advertised power and more torque than the 500, although I probably should go back and see where the power band of each is, but it seems odd that the 500 doesn't even offer more torque, according to their own stats...

I'm gonna try to get down to the factory when I can.

So when the Chinese New Year celebrations end (as the factory is probably all on holiday except the security), the weather is right and I have some free time I'll get down there, the roads between here and the factory are probably the best roads in the province (if you take the scenic route) so ride report plus factory report in March I think.

I'll kiss some serious ass down there with the bosses, to see if we can all help put them on the map, and us on some of the best c-motos out there.

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I'll kiss some serious ass down there with the bosses,

I think Chinaman speak with forked tongue here:

http://asiawing.com/english/info_det...p?id=17&c_id=5

They say this is a "Italian CAGIVA engine":

it looks extremely like an old Yamaha SR500 unit:

Last edited by forchetto; 01-30-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY

I have to be honest it does have some similarities to the SR500 unit.
    When I talked to them (on the phone in English) he said 'Honda engine and cagiva tires' ,

But BOSCH fuel injection?

Confusing

I hope it does doesn't run like a 250, but with a choppy poorly timed engine around town! Because the injection and engine don't match.

Surely if it's Cagivna technology it's based on this............

Cagiva River 500 (2006)

or this....

Cagiva T4 500 E (1991)

But the guy said 'Honda' engine to me!

So I just 'spose it's wait until I see the factory then...

P.S. If the factory doesn't have any torque wrenches, I'll be running out the front door within 5 minutes. Thumper+untorqued bolts=recipe for disaster!
    Last edited by ZMC888; 01-30-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forchetto View Post

Do you mean that these Chinese companies aren't producing original designs!!!???

Be Dirty!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by forchetto View Post

I think Chinaman speak with forked tongue here:

http://asiawing.com/english/info_det...p?id=17&c_id=5

They say this is a "Italian CAGIVA engine":

I first thought the round SOHC cylinder must be Suzuki, such as the old aircooled DR models. The once very popular DR350 came close. The engine looked a bit more similar, but still different. Then I checked stuff like Honda's XL/XR engines, nothing fitted. Neither did Yamaha's XT/TT models.
    The closest I found is the Cagiva W16 Engine. Just check out the position of the oil window, the bolts of the cylinder, the position of the oilfilter cap to the clutch cover. The channel below the oilfilter cap into the engine. Fits perfectly!!! The photo doesn't show a kick starter (nor the shaft), maybe because it has an electric starter.
    The only thing I am surprised about: The Cagiva engine is a 600 cc engine. But that's also fine, because it means that the original 600 cc engine should fit. Maybe yuu only have to change the cylinder, piston and stuff, then you have a nice 600 cc bike.
    I know why Asiawing claims it would be a Honda engine: Honda engines are much more reliable, Cagiva dosn't have the best reputation, at least at the time when the W12 was build, in the mid '90s.
    I also guess that the license (if they have) to copy the Cagiva engine is much cheaper than a license from Honda.

Peter
    Attached Images

9. #9 Re: Asiawing has more details on their new stuff 
    it is not the yamaha Engine, thow tey are extremely... , look at the position of the oil filter. plus, Yamaha never made an electric start version of the SR500 (I know because I like this bike).

they say Honda licence because they are marketing the 450 cc version wich is an modified copy of the CRF450.

10. #10 Re: Asiawing has more details on their new stuff 
    Be Dirty!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by izi rider View Post
    it is not the yamaha Engine, thow tey are extremely... , look at the position of the oil filter. plus, Yamaha never made an electric start version of the SR500 (I know because I like this bike).

they say Honda licence because they are marketing the 450 cc version wich is an modified copy of the CRF450.
    Let's not get confused: The LD450 (which they now name LX450. Or do they call the Motocross Version LX and the Enduro Version LD? I dunno') is a copy of the Honda CRF450. That's for sure. I have seen both standing next to each other (Asiawings LD450 and the Honda CRF450). And I also rode the Asiawing... it's crap. At least last year in May, maybe better now.
    But we discussed the the engine of the Spark, were this is coming from, which engine they copy here. I still insist on the Cagiva Engine W16, it pretty obvious.
    It is NOT a copy SR500 engine!!! That's even more obvious. And as ZMC888 wrote "'Honda engine and cagiva tires" is obviously also a mistake by the guy at Asiawings factory he talked to.This guy just swapped engine with tires or Cagiva with Honda. I trust more what's written on their website That it's an Cagiva Engine.
    But I also don't belive that this an official licensed engine. The way the copy the Honda CRF (which they don't have a license from Honda for, for sure, the CRF is too new) almost 1:1, it's quite clear that they don't give a about such a license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast