Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    The short kick stand would ideally be maybe 2-4cm longer, but not really terrible, maybe TR sits higher?
    Have this sorted had one made today will post pictures when fitted made it 30mm not a new stand but a add on to the foot plate like the DMV ones in the picture but 30mm thick will fit tomorrow and see how it looks incresed the foot print by about 25% as well

"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #12 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    if you are making the foot 30mm thick it would be a good idea to fill it full of holes because you are adding a lot of weight for the spring to hold

3. #13 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    if you are making the foot 30mm thick it would be a good idea to fill it full of holes because you are adding a lot of weight for the spring to hold
    yes did think about that got it down to 198 grams so untill i fit it and ride the bike over some dumps to see if it movers with the weight ! but you are spot on do you think 199 grams is to much ... and yes the next move will be to make it look like "eyes" cheese but just worried about the mice

"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #14 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I'd already considered the addition of an extra "foot" but didn't think that was the wisest method, although honestly, it's been so darn hot that I thought I'd wait until it's cooler here before taking the bike to a mates metal fabrication and CNC shop. Actually I rode the 650TR the whole day yesterday (yep, didn't go into work). The plan was to visit my mates workshop/company and work with him to work out how to do the side stand, possible a centre stand and also an adjustable bracket for the screen, but he wasn't in. He'd gone off to a neighbouring city to meet customers, so I decided "fark it" I'll go ride Simingshan (tourist mountain here). Two tank refills later and I was back home at 8:30pm. It was hot and humid here yesterday, so I felt like I'd been riding the whole day what with all the grime and accumulated sweat, oh and the added sore arse factor - even I rode with a pair of cycling shorts under my pants. That's the one big difference between the 650TR and either my Jetmax or Burgman 650, both of which I can ride the whole day and arrive home/destimation feeling somewhat refreshed, plus I don't suffer from sore arse syndrome!

One of the factors to consider though with the additional foot, aside from weight, is, how the combination of the side stand and the added foot, fit alongside the bike when in the raised position. Also the angle of the foot to the ground. I carry a small section of wood about 30mm tall, just the right size to put in the RHS cubby/glove box. When I park the 650TR, I pull out that bit of wood, and place it under the side stand, giving the bike just the right amount of lean. But I also notice just how the foot angles up. Only the heel of the side stand sits on the bit of wood. Something you'd need to factor in or allow for in the alloy "foot".

5. #15 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I'd already considered the addition of an extra "foot" but didn't think that was the wisest method, although honestly, it's been so darn hot that I thought I'd wait until it's cooler here before taking the bike to a mates metal fabrication and CNC shop. Actually I rode the 650TR the whole day yesterday (yep, didn't go into work). The plan was to visit my mates workshop/company and work with him to work out how to do the side stand, possible a centre stand and also an adjustable bracket for the screen, but he wasn't in. He'd gone off to a neighbouring city to meet customers, so I decided "fark it" I'll go ride Simingshan (tourist mountain here). Two tank refills later and I was back home at 8:30pm. It was hot and humid here yesterday, so I felt like I'd been riding the whole day what with all the grime and accumulated sweat, oh and the added sore arse factor - even I rode with a pair of cycling shorts under my pants. That's the one big difference between the 650TR and either my Jetmax or Burgman 650, both of which I can ride the whole day and arrive home/destimation feeling somewhat refreshed, plus I don't suffer from sore arse syndrome!

One of the factors to consider though with the additional foot, aside from weight, is, how the combination of the side stand and the added foot, fit alongside the bike when in the raised position. Also the angle of the foot to the ground. I carry a small section of wood about 30mm tall, just the right size to put in the RHS cubby/glove box. When I park the 650TR, I pull out that bit of wood, and place it under the side stand, giving the bike just the right amount of lean. But I also notice just how the foot angles up. Only the heel of the side stand sits on the bit of wood. Something you'd need to factor in or allow for in the alloy "foot".
    Give me a few hours and i will have it fitted then i can answer all your question worked out a way to adjust the adjust the angle of the new "foot" have checked ok before i made it to check all clears when up . The best way would be to just weld a peace of new metal onto the OE stand but have a look it dont look like fabricated steel it looks like "cast steel" which will be very hard to weld ???? so the best bet is to make a club foot to add to the end see picture got mine down to 198 grams so should be ok when up but i will see if needed will drill holes in the foot to lose some grams

Why has the NK got 55 w bulbs and we have 35 w

and do you have a PDF owners manual for the TR Doc please

6. #16 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Sent you a PM there Prince... also expect an email with the 650TR user manual in your inbox, provided that it can accept 6mb file attachments.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-13-2013 at 08:19 AM.

7. #17 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Sent you a PM there Prince... also expect an email with the 650TR user manual in your inbox, provided that it can accept 6mb file attachments.

Yes got the email you are a very very nice man thanks for that have just sent loads of pictures to your email and will post here about the horn and the new foot plate for the 650 TR side stand

8. #18 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    Wehey nice one ZMC. Happy to see you finally pulled the plug on this, seems like you've been pining for something a bit faster for a while. What's her name?

9. #19 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Wehey nice one ZMC. Happy to see you finally pulled the plug on this, seems like you've been pining for something a bit faster for a while. What's her name?
    Her name? 'Mountain road carver.'

10. #20 Re: New CFMoto 650NK blog x2 
    Love this bike very happy, probably I'm a bit easy to please after my old bike. Anyhow my review if you are interested.

Brakes 9/10
    Fantastic, and properly bled from factory, braided lines too. Saved my neck a few times with idiots doing suicide maneuvers. Front is hard to lock just about perfect, ABS would be better especially in the wet, but I ride in this dry so I'm happy.

Engine
    9/10
    Love it, loads of torque plenty of power, yet to be explored because I'm still running it in.

Handling 9/10
    Bike is very easy to ride with weight transfer or counter-steering. Counter-steering is very easy and sensitive and bike loves to turn in and lean. Not too fun around town fairly heavy hot bike with nice slightly rear pegs ideal for mountain twisties, but of course a bit compromised in the urban environment. Luckily for me I bought the bike for the mountains.

Suspension 8/10
    Better than I expected feels very competent. Score only because of lack of adjustibility.

Tires 6/10
    Cheng Shin's look OK, can slip a little under power. Will switch out for something more exotic in the spring, not worth removing, good enough.

Fit and finish 7/10
    Paint seems pretty thin and plastic turquoise decals are a bit yuk. Also front fender is about 3-4cm from tire and as well as being ugly it leaves too much gap for small stones and grit to be flung onto the radiator. Need to mod this. Also rear hugger doesn't hug at 2cm away from tire which exposes the shock a little.

Assembly 5/10
    Many of the bolts weren't torqued up to spec, engine bolts, rotor bolts were OK and master cylinders rest not really. Fork bolts were very under torqued, I was easily capable to getting another half turn on the bolts. The semi permanent thread-locker seemed watered down and ineffective.

WP_20130913_001.jpg
    Fork bolts nice reassuring red bolbs, but bolt under-torqued and minimal thread-locker noticeable on threads.

WP_20130913_003.jpg
    Some bolts holding the pegs. rear master on could be easily stripped out, made from low grade alloy.

To do list suggestions for CFMoto:

1. Inspect quality of all bolts, think about spending a little extra money on better steel alloys.
    2. Add 2cm to NK side stand, 4cm to TR.
    3. Use better threadlocker/use more/don't water it down.
    4. Check torque settings for bolts, extend engine bolt/rotor bolt torquing method for engine/rotor bolts to all bolts on the bike.
    5. Redesign and lower fender and hugger.
    6. Think about adding a trip meter and gear selection indicator.
    7. Think about small screen option for NK.
    8. Think about using better tires.
    9. Think about supplying a wider bar about 740mm with less upsweep.

Overall though a really great bike. Before this bike I have said a few years ago you'd be crazy to buy a new Chinese bike in a western country over a 2nd hand Japanese bike. With the CFMoto level of quality I would say it's a viable option, especially if the level of quality improves over the next few years.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 09-15-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast