Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: New Member in Kent 
    Hi 650TR rider

Just was messing about with the head lights and found the lights was not set up in the best position
    so check yours when dark and adjust the light beam on low and high its very easy to do you can get to the adjusting knob from the seat side but turn the wheel to one side first to do each light with mine lights was set to low and why do the TR only have 35w when the NK has 55w need to find a H8 55w better make and see if better most people here in china just fit HID but will try a new bulb hope to find a 4000/5000 K range
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #12 Re: New Member in Kent 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi 650TR rider

Just was messing about with the head lights and found the lights was not set up in the best position
    so check yours when dark and adjust the light beam on low and high its very easy to do you can get to the adjusting knob from the seat side but turn the wheel to one side first to do each light with mine lights was set to low and why do the TR only have 35w when the NK has 55w need to find a H8 55w better make and see if better most people here in china just fit HID but will try a new bulb hope to find a 4000/5000 K range
    Hi prince666,

When I picked mine up last last week, first morning i rode it to work it was dark, felt like I was searching for aeroplanes to shoot down, they were adjusted so high.. when I put main beam on it was like a long beam from a search light pointing straight up to the sky… took it back to the dealership that evening and he adjusted both using the alignment boards and height tool to ensure it was set correctly.. all okay now, but thanks for mentioning it. Be interested to know how you get on with the brighter bulbs too

3. #13 Re: New Member in Kent 
    Quote Originally Posted by 650TR Rider View Post
    Hi prince666,

When I picked mine up last last week, first morning i rode it to work it was dark, felt like I was searching for aeroplanes to shoot down, they were adjusted so high.. when I put main beam on it was like a long beam from a search light pointing straight up to the sky… took it back to the dealership that evening and he adjusted both using the alignment boards and height tool to ensure it was set correctly.. all okay now, but thanks for mentioning it. Be interested to know how you get on with the brighter bulbs too
    Yes maybe i have it wrong because you are in the UK but here in china we like to see a long way in front to make sure we have time to miss the fucking big pot holes or the missing man hole covers lol and with H beam we need to set high so we can blind the other people on the roads because most drivers here just drive on high beam all the time hope to try and fine a better bulbs or go with HID again you can get 100 wats bulbs but not sure if the wiring cabel will be ok
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #14 Re: New Member in Kent 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Yes maybe i have it wrong because you are in the UK but here in china we like to see a long way in front to make sure we have time to miss the fucking big pot holes or the missing man hole covers lol and with H beam we need to set high so we can blind the other people on the roads because most drivers here just drive on high beam all the time hope to try and fine a better bulbs or go with HID again you can get 100 wats bulbs but not sure if the wiring cabel will be ok
    Oh noooo thats not good, yes I suppose we are spoilt over here, and still complain that we are not happy with the standard of the roads and driving… lol

Sounds like some serious wattage and amperes consumption will be going on there.. think you'll be able to cook your breakfast on the wiring…lol

5. #15 Re: New Member in Kent 
    Quote Originally Posted by 650TR Rider View Post
    Oh noooo thats not good, yes I suppose we are spoilt over here, and still complain that we are not happy with the standard of the roads and driving… lol

Sounds like some serious wattage and amperes consumption will be going on there.. think you'll be able to cook your breakfast on the wiring…lol
    you guys are so lucky in the uk and if you do hit a pot hole you can take a picture of the hole if it is over a certain depth and claim for damages to you car/bike was in the wheel game back in the uk and made out loads of invoices for people to get money of the local council lol but hear in china you have 2 "HOPES... Bob Hope and No Hope with the lights that why its best to fit HID no more load on the wiring then the OE lights

6. #16 Re: New Member in Kent 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Be careful with the load on the wiring. If the 650TR wiring is anything like the wiring on the Jetmax then going with 55-60w Halogen should be okay, but anything more than that - not a good idea. HIDs are likely a non issue in terms of wiring load on the 650TR.

I first swapped out my 35/35w OEM Halogen's on the Jetmax for some imported 90/100w, which while super bright, did put an obvious load on the wiring. After running the higher wattage bulbs for a time, I removed all the tupperware to inspect the wiring to find that the connectors had melted and were somewhat deformed. I swapped down to imported 55/60w Halogens, and also bought replacement wiring looms both for the headlights, and the Jetmax's main wiring loom just in case I'd done more damage. It didn't take long though to swap the 55/60w Halogen's for a set of 25w HIDs. I tried at the time to source 35w HIDs but none were motorcycle specific in PRC nor available. That has since changed and I recall seeing 35w motorcycle specific available on Taobao.

The problem with the HID's via the majority of the Chinese manufacturers available in most bike shops/sellers or on Taobao, is although very bright, the beam is widely scattered/distributed so even low beam can blind other road users, no matter what efforts one takes to adjust the headlight accordingly. The ultra white light 4300K of HIDs is also not as good for the human eye, which is why Halogen bulbs generally have a slight yellow hue. This assists the human eye to pick out shapes and shadows (contrasts) etc. Bright white of HIDs seemingly provide more viewable light, but after driving/riding using them, all the light tends to "wash out one's vision after a time". Notwithstanding that HIDs used during rain and very wet conditions seemingly provide less light than Halogen.

I've looked a little at replacement for the 650TR headlights but have found that H8 bulbs only seem to go up to 35w. I did see reference some place on the net that referred to H11's but I'm unsure if the H8 and H11 bulb design share the same base/connector?

Read this discussion on the Aprilia forums concerning H8 - H11 conversion

7. #17 Re: New Member in Kent 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Be careful with the load on the wiring. If the 650TR wiring is anything like the wiring on the Jetmax then going with 55-60w Halogen should be okay, but anything more than that - not a good idea. HIDs are likely a non issue in terms of wiring load on the 650TR.

I first swapped out my 35/35w OEM Halogen's on the Jetmax for some imported 90/100w, which while super bright, did put an obvious load on the wiring. After running the higher wattage bulbs for a time, I removed all the tupperware to inspect the wiring to find that the connectors had melted and were somewhat deformed. I swapped down to imported 55/60w Halogens, and also bought replacement wiring looms both for the headlights, and the Jetmax's main wiring loom just in case I'd done more damage. It didn't take long though to swap the 55/60w Halogen's for a set of 25w HIDs. I tried at the time to source 35w HIDs but none were motorcycle specific in PRC nor available. That has since changed and I recall seeing 35w motorcycle specific available on Taobao.

The problem with the HID's via the majority of the Chinese manufacturers available in most bike shops/sellers or on Taobao, is although very bright, the beam is widely scattered/distributed so even low beam can blind other road users, no matter what efforts one takes to adjust the headlight accordingly. The ultra white light 4300K of HIDs is also not as good for the human eye, which is why Halogen bulbs generally have a slight yellow hue. This assists the human eye to pick out shapes and shadows (contrasts) etc. Bright white of HIDs seemingly provide more viewable light, but after driving/riding using them, all the light tends to "wash out one's vision after a time". Notwithstanding that HIDs used during rain and very wet conditions seemingly provide less light than Halogen.

I've looked a little at replacement for the 650TR headlights but have found that H8 bulbs only seem to go up to 35w. I did see reference some place on the net that referred to H11's but I'm unsure if the H8 and H11 bulb design share the same base/connector?

Read this discussion on the Aprilia forums concerning H8 - H11 conversion

Hi Doc

I did read the post of the Jatmax about the lights so that got me thinking found these on Taobao this guys looks like he stock loads of stuff need to talk to him and ask about 55w H8 but the philips could do the trick what do you think

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&id=8394611039

8. #18 Re: New Member in Kent 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I'm unsure if those H8 55w Philips have the same base connection as what are in the 650TR. I've only felt the rear of the connector on the bike. I reached up from underneath the tupperware, removed the dust cover, felt the wiring where it enters that cover so I got some idea of the orientation to connector then felt the wiring and the whole of the connector. Again, this was all by feel given I was reaching in from underneath. If the 650TR is anything like my Jetmax, it'd be probably better to remove all the tupperware to get a better understanding of how things are fitted together. Something I'd planned to do in cooler climatic conditions - if the bike was still here. Alos as I found on the Jetmax one of the securing springs couldn't be manipulated while the headlight was in situ on the scoot, necessitating headlight removal, and hence removal of all the associated tupperware. Who knows maybe CFMoto have better QA/QC systems in place, but chance would be a fine thing!

I'm not sure if speaking with the seller would tell you much, since generally speaking few of them have any clues or idea since they carry so much stock or have access to a wide selection of products, so intimate product knowledge is often sorely lacking. I think it's a case of buying the product and giving a shot. If it's not correct, sending it back for a replacement or refund.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12