Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 (Maybe) New rider in Wuhan! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey,

i live in Wuhan for quiet some time now and never really went to the countryside until recently - beautiful. I am a big fan of cycling with muscle power, but i would like to go into motorcycling for long distance rides. I don't have a license yet :-|
    People have told me that it is impossible to a) get a driving license for motorbikes as a foreigner (german) and b) that it is impossible to register a motorcycle. Also, i would need proper protection and gear, which is kind of a huge investment before even starting to ride.
    Well, i think i will keep you posted on how it goes - hope to sit on a bike in 2014.

Michael

2. #2 Re: (Maybe) New rider in Wuhan! 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Michael,

Welcome to MCM. Wuhan is definitely on the list of motorcycle-hostile cities, and there are many in China. But MCM also has some solid members in Wuhan who will be able to provide far more reliable information than what you are hearing from "people." Spend some time in MCM using advanced search, or search with google and include mychinamoto.com as a search argument, and you'll find lots of information about getting legal and riding in Wuhan, and in China.

China is one of the great places on earth for motorcycling, but the biggest price of admission is overcoming all the human-related bullshit and bias that you are guaranteed to encounter. Perseverance will have its rewards. There are some truly amazing places to ride in Hubei, and Wuhan is a pretty good jumping off spot for lots of multiday riding.

Work from facts, not rumor, and you'll make it!

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: (Maybe) New rider in Wuhan! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey euphonius,

thanks for the warm welcome and the information. Yeah, i saw the country side and it's roads from the backseat of a cruiser motorcycle and it was awesome.

Michael

4. #4 Re: (Maybe) New rider in Wuhan! 
    Hi Michael

welcome to MCM the road is long but keep at it you will get some good sound advise on here from members .I did and now on a 650 cc after doing 1 1/2 years on a 250 cc as said by euphonius you need to do a lot of reading post on MCM i would say 100% of your question will be found on here just need to look . I can undersand now why most long time members dont go into more details with question ! because the same question gets asked time and time again . so good luck and i am sure if you get stuck with same question please come back and post again members on here love to hear from new members

well good luck

Prince
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"