Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 
    Hi Guys

Have a new CFMOTO 650TR come the other day so i am not going to do a review on the bike because 2 members on here have done very good detailed reviews on ride,look ect. what i am going to review the things i find wrong with the bike and how we can fix or modified it to make it better .

Bike came ok in a big box all hands ready and waiting bike out the box moved it over to a nice flat piece of gound kick out the side stand and let the bike lean over and i shit my self it kept going and going untill the side stand hit the ground. That is one short side stand i said... to myself ok sat on the bike tried to kick the bike up straight and found because of the acute angle the bike was leaning over it made it very hard to pull up straight before kicking the stand in and i would think if you had stuff in the left hand side box as well would make it very hard to kick up ok now i have found my first modification to do shit me that side stand is just to short i dont need it to lean over so far i am not chinese i said to my self

How to fix

Now we all have our own ideas and how this can be done but here is mine ...

1. Why not just cut of the foot plate .weld a new bit in and just re-weld the foot plate back on "simple as a pimple" i said to myself but on a closer look found the OE side stand not to be a fabricated item but a cast steel item what this means is if it was a fabricated item it would be made out of mild steel and could be welded ok but with cast steel items it could be and most likely because TIC is cast with all the old shit metal and makes is very hard to weld and would i trust a chinese welder to weld it ...... so that number one out the door but please people if you think it can be done crack on and all the best of luck

2. I need to make the foot plate higher by how much .. well after some time messing about with books under the OE plate worked out it needs to be 30mm.
    so i had a look on Taobao and found a range of bolt on bike new foot plates called DMV people but these if there need to increase the size of the foot print for when you park on soft gound and are DIY meaning to just pick the right one for you bike and blot it on lovely jubbly as Dell boy would say . so i need a new DMV foot plate 30mm to fit a CFMOTO 650TR well as you can imaging i have 2 HOPES "No hope and Bob Hope " in finding one so i will just have to make one i have the desigh i know the size how hard can it be .

steve.jpg

So off i go to find a piece of aluminum size 40mm x 60mmx 70mm looks about right i need it to be 40mm because the OE foot plate is recessed into the new DMV item

new pictures from iphone steptember 2013 771 - Copy.jpg

when i picked up the new block of alumimum it nearly pulled my arm out of it socket shit that is to much weight it will pull the bike over when it is up lol

Need to re-think about this you can see from the picture of the DMV item it has 3 fixing bolts around the side to hold the new boot on but by doing this you increase the overall size of the boot but in my case will increase the overall kg as well, so i decided to only make the new foot boot 6mm wider all round because we need to keep the recessed and just blot it on it will still give me about 25% increased in foot print size but will keep the overall kg down you my think why have the recessed at all ??? but you need this as you dont want the forces of the stand taking the weight of the bike just on the bolts ...

Now i need to find a CNC manchine in a 3rd tier city in China lets not talk about Bob Hope again .. So i find a man who has a mancine that could do the job not a CNC but it has a electric motor on it

After 2 days we get this back

Ok not bad when it painted black to match the OE side stand should look ok and only come in at 198 weight in grams so not to bad we cut deep slots on the bottom to decrease the weight and to help it to grip the ground

with the item back and i was happy with the weight now to blot it on and to check if the 198 grams is to much when up ??? I used 6mm SS blots 30mm long
    HEX heads ,i just placed the new boot under the OE stand maked were i was going to blot it used a 7mm drill in the OE foot plate ,then placed the new one under the again and maked the new boot i decided on just 3 blots the blots are only used to hold it on and the recessed will take all the force when the weight of the bike goes onto the stand i drilled the 3 holes with a 5mm drill and tap the hole out with a 6mm tap i used loctite 243 to make sure the blots stay in

Now with it all done i painted it all black had the bike on a rear bobbing stand all the time kicked up the stand with the new foot on and it hit the stop fully so the 198 grams looks ok i allso looked at how the side stand it fixs to the frame and found it is held on but a blot which has a rubber bush and a locking nut on the back first thing i found was the locking nut on the back was only finger tight torque so please check your bike . now i found by tighten up the front bolt this made the stand a bit harder to kick down which was good because now i can tighten up this nut and keep the stand up with more force to bring it down but not that hard you cant push it down with your foot ok

Ok thats it job done move onto the next job which need to be done and in my case and this only for people in China because we all love a big horn sorry i mean a loud horn the next review is how to fit some nice big horns because the OE horns are about as loud as my wife farting which is no good in china

The picture of the jod done will be in the next post as i can only post 5 pictures at a time

sorry if you find some bad grammar mistakes well because shit happens and i have taken the time to post about the TR
    Last edited by prince666; 09-14-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #2 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 

4. #4 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 

5. #5 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 

6. #6 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 
    Ok last few pictures

Now i would like to say this is my attempt to right a wrong but i am happy with it and i hope you are as well

PICTURES OF BIKE SEPTEMBER 2013 017.jpg

PICTURES OF BIKE SEPTEMBER 2013 018.jpg

PICTURES OF BIKE SEPTEMBER 2013 019.jpg

PICTURES OF BIKE SEPTEMBER 2013 020.jpg

PICTURES OF BIKE SEPTEMBER 2013 023.jpg

7. #7 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 
    Good work, clean mod!

Kinda reminds me of those massive shoes that people wear on one foot when they have one leg longer than the other.

8. #8 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Good work, clean mod!

Kinda reminds me of those massive shoes that people wear on one foot when they have one leg longer than the other.
    Yes it called a "CLUB" foot . i could not think of no other way to do it that would work ok it so much easy now to lean the bike up. before you would have to dig your left foot in and push over to the right with the OE stand now i just sit and lean over to the right and she is up ready to go thanks for looking

9. #9 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 
    Horn Modification

As i said in the above post the OE Horn is not very loud and realy needs to be replaced here in China . The OE horn is a single type mounted in the front on the left leg side of the bike . What type should i fit ! well you need at least 2 and LOUD but with 2 horn which dont use a electrical relay you need splice into the OE wire to take a feed to the 2nd horn here in china the people just cut the outer plastic of the OE wire and twisted the 2 new cable and tape it up try on find some of these which is a better job To get to the area to mount the horns you need to take the front lower air intake scoop of at the front of the bike it is held on with 4 PK screws.

The OE horn is held on with a bracket and a singel nut . this is fine to mount 1 of the new horns now the 2nd horn comes with a spare mounting bracket as well you need to attached this bracket as well to mount with the first horn on to the OE bracket and the 2nd horn fix to the spare . Depends on what type and size of horns you get you need to mess about with the brackets to make sure the horns dont hit the engine and the side of left hand fairing plastic . I have looked to see if you can mount the other horn somewhere else and this is a no no

It is allways best before you mount the new horns get them conected and push the horn button to check all works well

In the case of my new horn which was quite big and heavy i need to add a second support which with the TR is difficult to find a new mounting support point . in my case i found the left hand side reflector to be perfect for my needs!

Here are a few pictures to help you see how its done

Job done next job is the lights but i think Bikerdoc has got some New H8 55 W Philips 5000K on the way to him now so i will wait to see how these work out because if the Doc says these are good then i will fit as well.

It is best to fit HID 55 W 6000K but i just dont like the new bike being pulled about by the chinese fitters

10. #10 Re: CFMOTO 650TR NEW REVIEW 
    C-Moto Regular
    Nice couple of mods... Thanks for taking the time to photograph, describe and share with us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast