Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Shanghai dealers for ZongShen, ShinRay, QingQi etc. 
    Hey Folks,

Anyone got any idea where I can buy new; zongshen's or other dirt bikes in shanghai? I am not looking for pocket bikes or others small things, just 125-200cc stuff for actual road driving.

Winston
    Shanghai

Have you seen the posts for the ZCM? Read through the fighting and there are a few people who can probably help you out--a couple if you are properly licensed, and a couple who promote wrecklessness and lawbreaking, and debauchery if you are not properly papered!

I am not looking at a map of China right now, so don't know how far you are to any of these guys, but they could probably point you in the right direction; or contact our mychinamoto leader, CrazyCarl-he has connections ...

Shanghai is a notoriously unfriendly city for motorcycles. Even if you could buy one you might not be able to register it or bring it home?

Where, more exactly, are you?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Like Beijing, I'm sure that it is tricky and expensive to register a motorcycle within the walls of central Shanghai. Some cities in Jiangsu or Zhejiang provinces near Shanghai surely have these dealerships, but unless you have time and patience it could be annoying. You are welcome to come to visit us, we know where all the dealerships are. It also costs 300 RMB to register any bike under 250cc in our city, but who knows how much in central Shanghai or even if you can (2000 RMB in Beijing for example).

After you bring the bike back to Shanghai, a willingness to turn right, a friendly attitude and the ability to wear a helmet and not be able to utter one word of Chinese could serve you well.......

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post

After you bring the bike back to Shanghai, a willingness to turn right, a friendly attitude and the ability to wear a helmet and not be able to utter one word of Chinese could serve you well.......
    This is the main perpetrator of the lawlessness and debauchery I was talking about

On a serious note, can one register a bike anywhere in China, and be legal, or at least the bike is legal? Is there a reason for the discrepancy of registration fees, or would the bike not really be legal for Shangai?

Quote Originally Posted by culcune
    On a serious note, can one register a bike anywhere in China, and be legal, or at least the bike is legal? Is there a reason for the discrepancy of registration fees, or would the bike not really be legal for Shanghai?
    That is an interesting question. I believe that the bikes are legal in other areas, even if they are from different areas. This has not been fully tested because with such a small amount of Chinese riders and foreign riders attempting to ride around China. If I was living in Shanghai I would attempt to buy a bike elsewhere, but register it in Shanghai despite the cost, because it would be better than another area's plate. Failing that a Jiangsu or Zhejiang plate would be better in Shanghai, as they are neighboring states. There may be a rusty old law that does not allow bikes to leave the province where it is registered, but it probably isn't enforced. Or some police officers might have differing opinions on this...

What is best though is a Beijing 'A' plate as this has been issued by the capital government city in the most central area of it, and none of the other cops in China feel they have the right to question Beijing's judgment .

10. #10 Shanghai in REALLY anti motorbikes.... 
    Thanks Guys,

I do live in the Puxi inner city area (downtown). I have been driving my Chang jiang for 2 years here. I know how strict they are.... I spent 11 days in jail for screwing around.... Now I am completely legal.
    I am Not going to plate the bike localy, I am half chinese and have family in china and will use thier residence to register the plate. I will have the same restriction as CJ's with outside plates but in a smaller less outstanding package.
    I work with CJ Sidecar of Shanghai and Beijing. I help them with sales and after sales customer service... Plates and registration and such are just a daily thing for me.
    As far as Shanghai is concerned the law is stated that ALL motorcycles 2 wheel or 3, scooters(not LPg's), are not allowed in the city limits. However anyone who lives here or been here can see this is not strictly enforced or enforced at all. They do "sweep" for non plated bikes and foreigner without licesnes occasional, especially in the summer months but as with anywhere, dont push your luck and do not give the cop a reason to stop you, and if he does, dont give him shit.....

Againg thanks for the help, I like this site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast