Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Gorka´s CFM 650 NK 
    I bought this bike with over 3.000 km on the clock. Although I am still waiting to get it plated (but that is a whole different story), I have ridden it and messed up with it (mostly) enough to share some notes.

The first thing I noticed after my first ride was that it was nearly out of coolant maybe half of it left. The issue about the loose hose clamps has been adressed well enough in other threads. The problema is now solved after simply tightening the screws, specially the one on bottom end of the hose on the left side. The good side is to think about all the time the bike must have been running like this without melting, very reassuring.
    2039.jpg

Screws and threads are easily damaged, like some people have noted. In my case, I found that one of the two screws that hold the contact lock had been sheared inside its location. It might be that this happened as somebody tried to steal the bike from its previous owner, I dont know. While some people recommend to change as many screws as posible (which I dont agree, as it is better to damage a screw than the insert or nut) I do recommend to replace these two, as it is more difficult to remove once broken. Luckily for me, I could remove it and replace it. I also replaced the lock, which was slightly damaged. Thanks Bikerdoc for the parts!
    2051.jpg

I also replaced the mirrors, which had too much play and didnt hold at legal (just about) speeds. I also placed new horns, BBS favourites.
    2050.jpg2027.jpg

Another change I plan to do is the levers. My brake lever got notched and it was difficult to push down smoothly. Apparently, the soft aluminum was damaged by the edges of the holder. Maybe this was promoted by the loose screw. I was able to fix it with some fine sandpaper and after greasing, it is good for another few thousand kms.

Coming back to the leaks, I also found parasite air aspiration (or vacuum leak). I noticed the bike was rough and unstable on the first touch of the throttle, I could barely ride at 40 km/h in second gear without the bike stuttering. I found there were at least two spots of aspiration below the butterflies. One was (again) the loose clamps on the colector ports, and the second apparently the connection of the left vacuum hose to some short of manifold, below the battery case (anybody knows what that is for, anyway?) Instead of connecting directly to the manifold, it has a section made of thinner material (it feels more like a sleeve than a hose) and the clamp was very loose on it. Some rearragement of the clamps so they seat on the thicker material (where it is not deformed yet) plus some twisted some wire around it did the trick for me. After a reset of the ECU I can now stroll around town at 20 real smooth, which is way better for showing off.

Cheers from Dagang, Tianjin province,
    Gorka.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by gorka; 09-16-2013 at 06:25 AM.