Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Bikerdocs 650TR/TK review

Horn upgrade.

Decided to upgrade the pityful/weak sounding single tone horn on the 650TR. Bought a couple a pairs of SEGER branded horns via Taobao, and decided to buy a coloured pair of black & red. Nice colour match with the bike, me thinks. Have the additional pair for my next new bike's horn upgrade.

Had been putting the install off until the weather cooled a little, so fast forward to this morning. Cleared the car out of the garage to make room to work as there's no additional space with one car and five bikes.

The pictures themselves speak volumes about the steps taken, so onward with the show!

650TR Seger horn box 20130915.jpg

Here's the box containing a pair of Seger horns

650TR Seger horn box open 20130915.jpg

Nice internal packing of Seger horns, no damage and accompanied with some written materials including a warranty card.

650TR Seger horn 20130915.jpg

What was contained in the box, excluding the written materials, which I didn't pay any attention to (even dispensed with the warranty card). The mounting brackets were already affixed to the horns themselves, and both nuts were tighter than a Nun's... well I'm sure you get the idea. I had to place one of the two horns into a vice, just to get enough of a purchase to loosen the nut using a 10mm spanner, so that I could reorientate the male spade connectors to enable the wiring on the 650TR to reach.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.

2. #2 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    650TR Seger horn Step1 20130915.jpg

Photo provides the details on the various attachment points and the hardware that needs removal to allow removal of the front cowling (below the radiator), the LHS lower fairing panel & the actual single tone horn mounting location.

650TR Seger horn step2 20130915.jpg

Removal of the front cowling, provides access to the horn mounted on the LHS just below and in-front of the radiator.

650TR Seger horn step3 20130915.jpg

Decided that removal of the LHS lower fairing panel would provide better access, than just the front lower cowling on its own.

650TR Seger horn step4 20130915.jpg

The OEM horn removed from the 650TR (secured by a single 10mm nut to the mounting bracket plus disconnecting the two electrical/wire spade connectors). Note the depth of the OEM horn compared with the OEM horn. Notwithstanding the OEM was unceremoniously buried in the rubbish bin. I'm sure it's likely to be recycled in the unofficial PRC recycling scheme at some nondescript location some place outside the compound, off that I have little doubt.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-16-2013 at 07:47 AM.

3. #3 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    650TR Seger horn step5 20130915.jpg

Unlike Prince666's horn upgrade I had not opted for electric air horns, which allowed me to be able to install the horns close together, and not have to use the LHS fairing reflector bolt as a mounting point for one horn as Prince666 had done. Basically the Seger horns come fixed to two metal mounting brackets each. I used a bolt mounted through one the mounting brackets on the yellow coloured Seger horn, then affixed a 10mm nut to the other side of the bolt and tightened. I then threaded the bolt through the bikes horn mounting bracket. To the back side of the bolt I then attached the bracket of the red coloured horn and applied a flat washer and secured/tightened using a 10mm nut, making adjustments to the horns as I did so.

650TR Seger horn step6 20130915.jpg

Wiring was a simple affair. No stripping of wires needed. Simply used a couple of wire crimping/splicing connectors. First attached the connectors to the pair of horns before I connected or "buttoned" everything together and tested. Farkin LOUD! Wahoo, in business.
    Used a pair of the wires supplied with the Seger horns and crimped/spliced these to the original wiring.

650TR Seger horn step7 20130915.jpg

Here are the horns connected (note the red plastic wire crimping/splicing devices in situ) and in the correct orientation. The last step was putting all the fairing (tupperware) back on the bike.

650TR Seger horn step8 20130915.jpg

Tested, check... farkin LOUD! Had ringing in my ears for a few seconds.
    Yiipppee!

Job done.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-17-2013 at 04:57 AM.

4. #4 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    A very detailed report as always from you Doc but you forgot to mention you need a 30mm thick piece of wood to use to stand the OE side stand on heheheh which helps if the bike is more upright to work on Good job and you fill more safe riding the bike with the nice new loud

as you said on the phone we need to start a new Thread will all the links to post from other people talking about the 650TR
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    Yeah, I was thinking about mentioning that non-descript non-OEM essential farkle, but alas I forgot. Yep mandatory 30mm wedge under the side stand. I did end up putting the bike on the race stand though, so I could get a better view under the belly of the 'beast' - chuckles!

Took the bike in the late arvo after work, and had a blast (literally) ridng through town thru some later than usual peak hour traffic (though peak hour traffic would seem a misnomer to those amongst us living in first, second tier cities), before hitting a local mountain, then completing a nice 1 hour loop leading back to home.

All's good in the woods.

The next farkle to come is a custom made screen, hopefully taller and wider - all going to plan. What I've in mind is to have a design using the same standard screen but lengthen it 100mm then where the top of the standard screen ends, add width of approx 50mm each side to the width of the standard screen. Rather than just add width overall, one does need to allow for the narrower recess to accommodate the turning of the handle bars and hands wrapped round the same.

If anyone is interested in such an item, then register your interest with me by either replying here or PM me.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.

6. #6 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    Neat job Doc!

7. #7 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    The next farkle to come is a custom made screen, hopefully taller and wider - all going to plan. What I've in mind is to have a design using the same standard screen but lengthen it 100mm then where the top of the standard screen ends, add width of approx 50mm each side to the width of the standard screen. Rather than just add width overall, one does need to allow for the narrower recess to accommodate the turning of the handle bars and hands wrapped round the same.

If anyone is interested in such an item, then register your interest with me by either replying here or PM me.

Very intrested in the screen but can i fist have a look at my bike and check to see if all the increase dimension will suit the look of the bike and will be be abel to get tinted screen Doc
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    I'll complete the drawing today of the screen design I have in mind. I'll likely start another MCM thread for this and post the drawing there. I'll include measurements and so forth. Will check with the Taobao seller (who's assisting with the actual fabricator/factory) if it's possible to have a tinted screen. I'm sure it'll be possible as I saw he had a few dark tinted screen for sale on his Taobao "shop", when I bought the screen for the Kwaka 1000 I had 4 options:

1). clear screen made by machine with mounting holes
    2). clear screen made by 'hand' with or without mounting holes
    3). dark tint screen made by machine with mounting holes
    4). dark tint screen made by 'hand' without mounting holes

If he replies that dark tint is available I'll order one of each.
    No idea on price yet as he has to take the design/drawing along with my OEM screen to the factory obviously to get an idea of what's invloved.

I'll be providing details on the new thread/post that I plan to put 'up' later on MCM.

9. #9 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ive changed my horns as well but hid mine under fuel tank...now got twin snail horns which I need as ive got a loud exhaust now.

alex

10. #10 Re: CFMoto 650TR horn upgrade 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    650TR Seger horn step5 20130915.jpg

Unlike Prince666's horn upgrade I had not opted for electric air horns, which allowed me to be able to install the horns close together, and not have to use the LHS fairing reflector bolt as a mounting point for one horn as Prince666 had done. Basically the Seger horns come fixed to two metal mounting brackets each. I used a bolt mounted through one the mounting brackets on the yellow coloured Seger horn, then affixed a 10mm nut to the other side of the bolt and tightened. I then threaded the bolt through the bikes horn mounting bracket. To the back side of the bolt I then attached the bracket of the red coloured horn and applied a flat washer and secured/tightened using a 10mm nut, making adjustments to the horns as I did so.

650TR Seger horn step6 20130915.jpg

Wiring was a simple affair. No stripping of wires needed. Simply used a couple of wire crimping/splicing connectors. First attached the connectors to the pair of horns before I connected or "buttoned" everything together and tested. Farkin LOUD! Wahoo, in business.
    Used a pair of the wires supplied with the Seger horns and crimped/spliced these to the original wiring.

650TR Seger horn step7 20130915.jpg

Here are the horns connected (note the red plastic wire crimping/splicing devices in situ) and in the correct orientation. The last step was putting all the fairing (tupperware) back on the bike.

Tested, check... farkin LOUD! Had ringing in my ears for a few seconds.
    Yiipppee!

Job done.
    good job you have done but scotch locks really!! they have got to be the worse electrical component ever, these will give you nothing but trouble soon (water gets in them and then problems start) your best off soldering the wires and covering with heat shrink.

alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast