Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    So an update overdue.

CFMoto will have a tall screen available for purchase as replacements shortly. Tall screen is in stock at the CFMoto factory but no prices set yet.

Got the tall screen as detailed in posts above. Essentially, the same design as the short OEM screen, just taller. The photos below tell the story, with some comparison shots of both the OEM short screen and tall screen side-by-side and an overlay shot. Then there are multiple photos of the screen fitted, from various angles.

Of note with the fitting, is since I have a small LCD clock/thermometer etc as well as a smartphone/GPS holder mounted on the top of the dash, I made some modifications to the mounting holes on the screen to allow for a change of the angles of the mounting bolts. Then I inserted longer Allen headed coach bolts with plastic inserts on the underside of the screen. Resulting in not only a taller screen but one that is raised forward from the fascia of the dash. More info on this method can be found on my CF650TR screen adjustment thread.

CF650TR Tall screen 01.jpg

CF650TR Tall screen 02.jpg

2. #12 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    CF650TR Tall screen 03.jpg

CF650TR Tall screen 04.jpg

CF650TR Tall screen 05.jpg

CF650TR Tall screen 06.jpg

Result: works very well. Test rode some 300km after fitting the screen, and was able to ride with my helmet (Shark Evoline-2) visor in the up position. No wind in the face.

Big

3. #13 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Bikerdoc - does the increased angle make much difference with the higher screen you put on or is it just better for fitting your gear under it. My screen spoiler extension is adjustable but I wonder if increasing the whole screen angle would make it even more effective. What do you think ? Rob

4. #14 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    Bikerdoc - does the increased angle make much difference with the higher screen you put on or is it just better for fitting your gear under it. My screen spoiler extension is adjustable but I wonder if increasing the whole screen angle would make it even more effective. What do you think ? Rob
    Yes, I feel it does. Keeping in mind, I had the short screen which really places the wind square into ones chest area. This wouldn't be an issue except that here in PRC, the air quality leaves a lot to be desired. A full day of riding will see one leaving significant black marks on a white towel/tissue paper, should one attempt to clean one's face - even with a splash or three of water beforehand.

When I altered the rake of the short screen I managed to get the wind blast up to about face height. While riding, if I hunched my back just enough, I could get the wind to hit the top of my helmet. I seem to recall you writing Rob, that your screen was a mid sized screen as opposed to the short screen the first model TR's came out with? If so then you might find that the increased rake with a mid sized screen may put the wind blast up over your helmet, depending on your height and upper torso height/length.

I stand 183cm if that's any guide.

I expect that CFMoto will have the new tall screen for sale end of this week. CFMoto have them in stock at the factory, but hadn't discussed pricing at an internal meeting as of last Friday 25 October. The OEM tall screen will differ from the one I have, by having a pointed lower section and side cut outs to better fit the lines of the tupperware (dash), basically the same as the photos that one can see on the 650TR that Buck and Amy are riding on the Great ride of China.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-28-2013 at 08:51 AM.

5. #15 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    The aftermarket screen has some flex in it. I liked the upper section of screen as it has some variation in the angles and an upward flick nearer the top edge. I have since obtained and fitted the new OEM tall screen several months ago, and it does not have this molded section at the top edge. However the OEM screen is made from a thicker material and what I do like about it aesthetically is the lower design at the base which comes to a more defined point as opposed to the rounded semi-circular design on the originally designed short screens. This change means that the base of the screen better fits to the tupperware for a more integrated seamless look. I'd have liked the upward flick incorporated at the top of the OEM tall screen, similar to the short screen.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #16 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The aftermarket screen has some flex in it. I liked the upper section of screen as it has some variation in the angles and an upward flick nearer the top edge. I have since obtained and fitted the new OEM tall screen several months ago, and it does not have this molded section at the top edge. However the OEM screen is made from a thicker material and what I do like about it aesthetically is the lower design at the base which comes to a more defined point as opposed to the rounded semi-circular design on the originally designed short screens. This change means that the base of the screen better fits to the tupperware for a more integrated seamless look. I'd have liked the upward flick incorporated at the top of the OEM tall screen, similar to the short screen.
    Hi bikerdoc,

Is it possible to order the new taller screen for my 650TK? I am seriously considering to get the MRA x-creen but I would prefer to get the OEM tall windscreen.

7. #17 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Hi bikerdoc,

Is it possible to order the new taller screen for my 650TK? I am seriously considering to get the MRA x-creen but I would prefer to get the OEM tall windscreen.
    Yes it's possible but I can't be sure whether or not you're able to order through CFMOTO Australia. If you cannot then I could help by ordering direct from CFMOTO factory. The freight cost from here to OZ can be a little expensive unless you know someone heading back to OZ who could carry the screen for you?
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #18 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Yes it's possible but I can't be sure whether or not you're able to order through CFMOTO Australia. If you cannot then I could help by ordering direct from CFMOTO factory. The freight cost from here to OZ can be a little expensive unless you know someone heading back to OZ who could carry the screen for you?
    I will give a call to CFMoto Australia tomorrow. Last time I checked with my dealer, they said it is not available as it is not ADR compliant but the thing is I saw UK bikes under WK brand have them. If not available, I will ask for your help. Thanks.

9. #19 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    - Pablo Picasso

10. #20 Re: CFMoto 650TR screen upgrade 
    Good news! My dealer confirmed that CFMoto Australia has a longer screen available as an option. It is 615mm in length. Is this the same length as the one you get from CFMoto factory?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast