Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Painting & changing the color of a bike in beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello everybody!

I am about to purchase a new bike in beijing, but, unfortunately, the color scheme in it doesn't really tickle me, and they do not produce it in any other. I was thinking on vinyl it as if it was made of carbon fiber or just paint it black, the second choice is the one I prefer, but I don't know if this could be a problem involving some changes in the book with the picture of the bike in it, paperwork, or, in the worst case scenario, illegal. I've read many different and, of course, contradictory answers about this issue.

Does anybody know for certain if this could/couldn't be done? Of course, legally, and in Beijiing?

I've seen tons of cars here with impossible paint jobs, vinyl patterns, etc, but again, we are talking about motorbikes...

Thanks!

2. #2 Re: Painting & changing the color of a bike in beijing 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The most prudent method to get the "facts" is to pay a visit to the local Traffic Management Bureau (PSB) in the jurisdiction where you'd have to register/plate your bike and ask there. There will be likely different bylaws based on ones jurisdiction and guanxi - which might explain why you've found conflicting or confusing advice here or elsewhere. As an example, in my location where I've resided for the past 8 years, the previous requirement was that pre-approval had to be sought/given from the authorities BEFORE changing a vehicle colour. This year when I checked, I found that rule had been altered. At that point in time (2 months ago) I could have the bike colour changed and THEN have the bike registered details changed with the relevant PSB. But TIC and what applies in one jurisdiction/set of circumstances may not readily apply elsewhere or to someone else. Now the issue of vinyl wrap, brings up a whole other conundrum. Since vinyl wrap is like a bloody big decal it might not need that approval etc. But, then again perhaps the applicable laws might catch up with that. There used to be traffic laws/regulations concerning advertising/signage on vehicles and that it was forbidden, but TIC.

3. #3 Re: Painting & changing the color of a bike in beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for answering me!
    I haven't buy the bike yet, so that is why I wanted to know if it could be painted BEFORE plating and therefore before registration... So when they add the picture to the book it would be already in that color. This damn bike only comes from the factory in one color pattern, silver with red chassis, I would like it black, or, as a second possibility, vinyl it in 3D carbon fiber look...

4. #4 Re: Painting & changing the color of a bike in beijing 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Beijing allows color change, and it is easy - but I don't know if you need permission BEFORE or AFTER the color change. I asked once, but sorry, I have forgotten the answer.

You might want to ask the dealer if it can contact the factory and special order a black one. You'd probably need the factory to do it, if you plan on an initial registration of a black bike, because I think the color is specified on the Road Worthiness & Emissions certificate, issued by the factory and used during the initial registration. I am not 100% sure of that, but the dealer would know.

Alternately, you can buy a silver one and have the paint redone. These Ace 125s have a major following overseas, in markets where they are allowed (e.g., UK, Oz). Lots of people are doing extensive mods to them.

Here's one example of a black one (click for lager size) ...

Black Ace.jpg

Good luck! Could be a lot of fun.

5. #5 Re: Painting & changing the color of a bike in beijing 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks!
    Yep, I've seen that, actually I am in the photoshop process, also contacted a company in the UK that has developed some kits for this bike, I need to send them some detailed pictures of the carb and the engine, as the dealer told me that they have a 150cc that can be plated, but commercially, at least outside China, it only comes in 50 and 125cc. I think that they just automatically say 150 while it's not. I will find it out soon, but I won't be able to purchase it until after Christmas, maybe I will do what you told me about contacting the factory, the lady I emailed seemed really helpful...

Thank you!