Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: China > Europe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: China > Europe 
    That is really really interesting... Im going to have to look into a vietnam, laos, thailand, Myanmar, India, Pakistan route now...
    Will the Zongshen RX3 survive??http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.com/

2. #12 Re: China > Europe 
    Quote Originally Posted by gjackson4431 View Post
    That is really really interesting... Im going to have to look into a vietnam, laos, thailand, Myanmar, India, Pakistan route now...

The guys down in Chiange Mai Thailand on RideAsia have done it all before but i think it is the first times guys have take bikes from Thailand /Laos/China so have some good reading
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #13 Re: China > Europe 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob ahernandez74's Avatar
    Thats crazy how fast things have changed in Burma. Lookj slike theres some hope out there. I'm interested to see the outcome of this trip and see how many of you guys can accomplish it without any trouble. Seems like a far fetched idea that requires lots of planning before execution.

4. #14 Re: China > Europe 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Here is an update about our travel plans to europe

so we have the motorbikes now. shineray X5 and X2.
    we bought some gear and did a few weekend test trips.
    Our plan is to do a test longer trip once we have all the gear ready. probably sometime in April/May

Now its about deciding on the route.
    The favorite would be going to tibet, nepal, india, pakistan, iran...
    I was inquiring with some tour companies about the price for permits and guide for a 15 day trip - its somewhat around 3000 usd per head. which is a killer argument.
    still trying to find a way...

the second route would lead us to xinjiang - pakistan, iran,.... we want to cross the taklamakan desert and take the karakorum highway to pakistan.

third route - go to laos, thailand, ship the bikes to nepal and continue from there to india ...etc.
    going to Burma would be a great adventure - a few people did it recently but it still would involve a lot of money and time - so we skip that

So right now we check about visas and cost and then decide which route to take.

We plan to do this whole trip in about three months - doing 200 km a day - spending something around 500 rmb per day.
    if we go to pakistan and Iran we will need a carnet which we can get from the german adac - they even issue it if the bike is registered abroad - which is perfect.

I read a post on HUBB that you need something like a A.T.A carnet to leave china.
    Anybody heard of that? Is it easily possible to just leave china with a chinese registered bike and never come back?

I would like to get your guys opinions on the route and especially trough china, must see places, no-go places etc...

5. #15 Re: China > Europe 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden boy View Post
    I read a post on HUBB that you need something like a A.T.A carnet to leave china.
    Anybody heard of that? Is it easily possible to just leave china with a chinese registered bike and never come back?
    Do you have the HUBB link?

It is not difficult, at all, to leave China if you re on a legal bike and you have all of the registration documents. Usually, the Chinese exit authorities just check your blue book, driving license and passport, if that. A carnet is not required.

However, it is a border crossing. Border control officers have tremendous power and discretion. It is best, therefore, to have every possible document with you (Green Book, original fapiao, insurance receipts, and so on), and just keep smiling. If they don't like the looks of you, for whatever reason, they can make your life miserable.

We may also be overlanding (upper route, through Russia) late summer, China -> Europe.

6. #16 Re: China > Europe 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Lia Jia Hou.

heres the link.
    http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...et-nepal-74145

From what I hear it should not be a big deal to leave china with a legal bike.. thanks for your advice

7. #17 Re: China > Europe 
    Hey Golden Boy.

If you decide on the taklimakan/kashgi route let me know. We could do that bit together and part ways in kashgi. I'll be going through Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and across the Caspian from there. I plan to camp where ever I can Mondo Enduro style and spend as little as possible. If you want to see what I have on that route, I can send you my stuff.

And I don't think you're too far away from me. I got my RX3 so if you want another partner for the april/may test ride let me know. Im actually planning to drive to Zhangjiajie within the next few days if you have the free time.

I looked into that route through Tibet along the G219 road but i heard somewhere that they don't allow foreigners to drive into Tibet along that road... I forget where i saw that though. Take this as a 3rd hand rumor.
    Will the Zongshen RX3 survive??http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.com/

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey gjackson,

Mondo enduro style... Love it.
    Sure. Send me your stuff. I am very intersted in your plans. I am sure u also did a lot of reading to plan your route. Lets exchange.
    We havent finally decided on the route yet. We have to find out how the situation in pakistan is right now.
    So going to the stans is also still on the map for us.

9. #19 Re: China > Europe 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everybody,

I like this discussion, therefore I "up" it.

Just to present myself quickly, I am french, work in Beijing, just had my DL and waiting my Zongshen RX3 (next week).

Indeed, I am also checking the administrative feasibility of such a trip from Beijing to Europe. South road (I would leave in November, therefore north road can be very cold).

I am struggling about the motorbike passport "carnet de passage en douane".
    Do we need it for sure ? (I mean, is there another way to go through borders than the CPD ?)
    Is there a way to get it for a chinese bike ? I have read that ADAC in germany can do it, does anybody try already ?
    What about the ATA carnet, is that confirmed ?
    Does anybody have contact of people having done the trip ?

Thank you for your help.

10. #20 Re: China > Europe 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello everybody,

I like this discussion, therefore I "up" it.

Just to present myself quickly, I am french, work in Beijing, just had my DL and waiting my Zongshen RX3 (next week).

Indeed, I am also checking the administrative feasibility of such a trip from Beijing to Europe. South road (I would leave in November, therefore no).

I am struggling about the motorbike passport "carnet de passage en douane".
    Do we need it for sure ? (I mean, is there another way to go through borders than the CPD ?)
    Is there a way to get it for a chinese bike ? I have read that ADAC in germany can do it, does anybody try already ?
    What about the ATA carnet, is that confirmed ?
    Does anybody have contact of people having done the trip ?

Thank you for your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast