Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    So far with the mods you've done i recon the police won't really notice, as long as you get a plate back on it. If you go changing the colour then they might give you shit.

How about repainting it a similar red, maybe a little bit deeper. Then two simple cream racing stripes running down the middle would look so much better than what's there now. Not sure about the side panels, can't get a good look from your pics, would they be big enough to paint a number on? A side shot of the bike would help.

Rather than building a bracket to hang the plate from that lovely arse, how about building one that extends out from the swingarm to hold the plate hovering behind the wheel at the back of the bike? That way the lovely line of the seat would be unbroken.

So what's the craic anyway, are these bikes actually career moves? You gonna become a full time builder someti me soon if these builds go well?
    You and I think alike! I was originally going to do some sort of a deep scarlet or some such colour... some sort of nice looking red :) I think I'll pursue that idea.

For the rear license place, I initially made a crude bracket that held the smaller front plate sideways over one of the rear shocks... but it looked crap... I love the idea of a hovering plate! I'm going to run with that and see what I can come up with (it would also act as a sort of mud guard too :) ) I'll call it the "felix plate mod" from now on ;)

As for where this is going? Basically I'm hoping that it'll be a hobby that pays for itself, if I can modify or make bikes for friends and keep learning and getting better, I'll be happy :)

I can't wait to get stuck back into these bikes, more updates as they happen.

P.S here's a side pic:

sidepic.jpg

- SerpentZA

2. #22 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Lovely profile, very little i'd change on it. Drum brakes are just so classy.

One thing. If you want it to be practical, you're gonna have man up and put some mud guards on it. Yes it looks cool without them, but just get some on there anyway...

For the plate bracket, here's what i was thinking of. Don't copy anything else on that bike though. Eugh.

Since it's unsprung it'll rattle a lot easier so make it stiff and mount the plate on tight!

3. #23 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Okay, so my other project bike is up and running (waiting for the seat before I can continue) so I had a little time to spend on the CG this morning... now I think it's nice to have a speedo, but I'm still battling with this, I found a brilliant little speedo which I really like, but it breaks the lines of the bike, I installed it this morning and I'm debating what to do with it, perhaps some feedback from you guys can help me make up my mind (I might toss the idea of a speedo all together)

speedo1.jpg

It looks a bit tall in my opinion... what do you think?
    speedo2.jpg

It does look rather neat when you're sitting on the bike though...

speedo3.jpg

The best thing about this speedo is that it is lit by super bright LEDs, you can see here that even in the daylight you can see it lit up...

speedo4.jpg

Of course it's at night that it really shines (literally)...

speedo5.jpg

Simple, clean and looks good.... so keep or toss??

- SerpentZA (youtube.com/serpentza)

4. #24 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    I think it's the right speedo just angle it back a bit just for the aerodynamics like.

5. #25 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    The speed looks great, goes well with the lines of this bike. I suggest that you cut the speed base and mount on the headlamp casing. So that the headlamp casing becomes the speed base as well. Some of the older bikes were done like that.

I actaully think that the tank and side covers would look great in white or beige with a couple lines ( in a contrasting colour ) going over the centre of the tank like some older race cars. With the classic cafe racer looks of the bike a classic type of colour would set it of well.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

That speedo is cool. Keep it.

7. #27 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    The speed looks great, goes well with the lines of this bike. I suggest that you cut the speed base and mount on the headlamp casing. So that the headlamp casing becomes the speed base as well. Some of the older bikes were done like that.

I actaully think that the tank and side covers would look great in white or beige with a couple lines ( in a contrasting colour ) going over the centre of the tank like some older race cars. With the classic cafe racer looks of the bike a classic type of colour would set it of well.
    I agree.. I actually wanted to cut a hole in the headlight and sink the speedo in there but the whole point of this bike was to have a simple "bolt on kit" ... oh well I guess I'll just have to do some modifying after all... I really do like the speedo, it suits the bike perfectly... just too tall and sticks out, if I could sink it at an angle into the headlight housing it would look awesome! I think I'll just bloody do it!

8. #28 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    This morning i worked out where I had seen this before, in a Honda Monkey bike. Maybe you could pick up a Monkey bike headlamp unit cheap on Taobao-

I am learning to use a small airbrush that I bought recently, so if you want something special for the tank and side covers let me know :-)
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

9. #29 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    I agree speedo should stay but has to move. Right now it looks a bit like a cup of tea on your bars. That reminds me, i don't see anywhere to hold a jar of tea on your bike.

How about offsetting the speedo? Mount it to the side of the light, asymmetrical can look cool too.

Have you thought about flipping those bars upside down? Free clubmans, or it might be a disaster; never tried it before.

10. #30 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    There's an interesting solution to your speedo conundrum on today's bikeexif

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-sr400-deus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123