Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    that's the whole idea, bolt on the old crap for the reinspection, ride it home and 20mins later it's cool again

2. #12 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    ^gotcha

3. #13 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Okay, back to the CG!

I took a close look at all the clone CG125s around and discovered that the frame is about an inch and a half shorter on all of the clones vs the original Honda that I have. The reason for this is that the Honda has a slightly different mounting bracket for the rear indicators, and since I can simply use the mounting brackets from the clone CGs if I want to restore it to it's original form, I ground off the extra bit of frame so that the seat would look flush.

frame.jpg

remember to round off the edges and then paint them straight away to avoid rust!

Next, I changed the tyres, the biggest tyres that'll fit on this frame without any modification are 90/90/18...

Kenda are in my opinion the best brand of Chinese tyres available (especially when you compare price for what you're getting), so I bought and put on two exactly the same front and rear (they cost me about 350RMB for the pair). While I was at it I put on an o-ring chain... and here's the result:

front.jpg

It looks fantastic from the front!

rear.jpg

And pretty good from the rear (I have low slung handlebars which will go on next)!

What do you all think so far?

4. #14 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    It looks pretty hot if you compare it to what it was before ;)
    I still like the Churchill best.
    What happens if you out on a modified bike and police stops you?

Im just negotiating rental of a lockup in my underground parking lot, if this happens I will buy some old 125 and play with it. Dont have any mechanic skills but will try to learn through my own mistakes. Reading some books about motorcycle maintenance at the moment ;)

5. #15 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    yep , lower bars a nice chrome front guard to match the locomotive headlight and that will be sweet

6. #16 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    I've been putting all my attention onto my latest project bike "The Moriarty MKII" but I still found a little time today to put the lower bars onto my little CG... I'd say it's looking pretty damn good:

lowbars1.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get day pictures.... I've worked into the night on the Moriarty so I only changed the bars on the CG last, here's a pic from behind:

lowbars2.jpg

This bike is pretty much done, all that is left is for me to figure out the best sort of indicators and rear light/plate holder and then it's done! I'm really enjoying this thing, it's small, light and nimble a complete joy to ride

What do you MCMers think?

- SerpentZA (youtube.com/serpentZA)

7. #17 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Okay, got some morning photos of the new bars... is this thing looking awesome or what?

bars1.jpg

bars2.jpg

bars3.jpg

I'm struggling with the whole rear light/license plate holder thing, but hopefully will come up with something soon! Frist I have to finish my other project bike... I'll do a breakdown of all costs etc I spent on this bike when it's done!

- SerpentZA (youtube.com/serpentza)

8. #18 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Shit i just saw this thread. Man what a transformation!

I know this wouldn't be a bolt-on mod anymore but i really wish the paint on the tank could be a bit less.... 'generic red china bike'

I really admire your ability to get shit done. Pity i missed you when you passed through yangshuo.

9. #19 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Shit i just saw this thread. Man what a transformation!

I know this wouldn't be a bolt-on mod anymore but i really wish the paint on the tank could be a bit less.... 'generic red china bike'

I really admire your ability to get shit done. Pity i missed you when you passed through yangshuo.
    Thanks man! I'm really bummed that I missed you guys up there, wish I could have met you too...

I do want to repaint the bike, but since it's legally registered and plated I think changing the colour would probably negate that (well modifying it probably does anyway)...

What I may do is actually just buy a separate tank to paint up and stick on, then if needs be I can put the original red one back on the bike :)

I agree with you 100% that it needs a colour change! I've done black before, maybe a dark blue? Ideas?

10. #20 Re: CG125 from crap to class 
    So far with the mods you've done i recon the police won't really notice, as long as you get a plate back on it. If you go changing the colour then they might give you shit.

How about repainting it a similar red, maybe a little bit deeper. Then two simple cream racing stripes running down the middle would look so much better than what's there now. Not sure about the side panels, can't get a good look from your pics, would they be big enough to paint a number on? A side shot of the bike would help.

Rather than building a bracket to hang the plate from that lovely arse, how about building one that extends out from the swingarm to hold the plate hovering behind the wheel at the back of the bike? That way the lovely line of the seat would be unbroken.

So what's the craic anyway, are these bikes actually career moves? You gonna become a full time builder someti me soon if these builds go well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast