Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 GY6 150cc starts/idles fine but bogs under throttle 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The other day I turned from a light, went full throttle up to 50 MPH, then when I came to a light I let off the throttle and felt the motor drag abnormally hard. Once I stopped it seemed to be running fine but when I accelerated from the light it wouldn't go. Only a very tiny amount of throttle worked and I had to ride home barely being able to move.

So it starts perfectly, cold weather, warm, whatever and idles great like normal and if I twist the throttle quick it gets power at first then quickly bogs down and dies unless I let off the throttle.

At first I thought it might be the auto-chock/enricher but I tested that and it's working fine. I checked over the motor and all looks good on the outside as far as hoses, etc. Someone mentioned maybe bad gas? I haven't checked the valves in about 1000 miles, maybe I need to? If not that then I guess I need to take the carb off and have a look inside? Maybe one of the jets is screwed up or something, I'm at a loss.

This scooter (Tao Tao Paladin 150) also uses a fuel pump because the tank is under the floorboard. Maybe that is bad?

2. #2 Re: GY6 150cc starts/idles fine but bogs under throttle 
    Quote Originally Posted by sprok View Post
    The other day I turned from a light, went full throttle up to 50 MPH, then when I came to a light I let off the throttle and felt the motor drag abnormally hard. Once I stopped it seemed to be running fine but when I accelerated from the light it wouldn't go. Only a very tiny amount of throttle worked and I had to ride home barely being able to move.

So it starts perfectly, cold weather, warm, whatever and idles great like normal and if I twist the throttle quick it gets power at first then quickly bogs down and dies unless I let off the throttle.

At first I thought it might be the auto-chock/enricher but I tested that and it's working fine. I checked over the motor and all looks good on the outside as far as hoses, etc. Someone mentioned maybe bad gas? I haven't checked the valves in about 1000 miles, maybe I need to? If not that then I guess I need to take the carb off and have a look inside? Maybe one of the jets is screwed up or something, I'm at a loss.

This scooter (Tao Tao Paladin 150) also uses a fuel pump because the tank is under the floorboard. Maybe that is bad?
    Sounds like too much fuel is the bike running rich ? check the spark plug .......
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: GY6 150cc starts/idles fine but bogs under throttle 
    Quote Originally Posted by sprok View Post

I've had the exact same problem the TPS (throttle position Sensor) was broken, that was with an EFI bike obviously. So with a carb bike I's guess the main jet is completely blocked by debris. Best guess.

4. #4 Re: GY6 150cc starts/idles fine but bogs under throttle 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I kept thinking it must be the main jet but was trying other things because the carb is so locked down. Finally pulled the carb and had to cut slots in the stupid security bolts to get the bowl off. Found a big chunk of dirt lodged in the main jet. Cleared that and works fine now.

Maybe time to replace the stock fuel filter or something. I have no idea how something that big got in there. The bottom of the bowl had junk in it too although not very big. I always use clean fuel from clean container so I dunno.

5. #5 Re: GY6 150cc starts/idles fine but bogs under throttle 
    Sprok, I believe that you can find some disposable fuel filters with precipitation bowl. It may help.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...