Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    CF650TR HID headlight upgrade

Accessing the CF650TR/650TK/CF650-2 headlights might seem problematic, however it need not be so. To adjust headlight level is pretty straight forward, there are adjustment knobs at the rear of each headlight, accessed from behind, either; reaching down by the instrument panel between the fork down-tubes/steering head and the tupperware, or alternatively from underneath between where the radiator is located and the front mud-guard - reaching up. Both methods require one to have some dexterity.

20130924_070841.jpg

Trying to access and work with the headlight bulbs or LED which sit below the headlights is not as easy using either method.

20130924_073252.jpg

For better access, start by removing the screen. A 4mm Allen key is needed to remove the four coach bolts that secure the screen to the top side of the dash.

20130924_073252.jpg

Once the screen is removed, push in the centre of four push-in grommet type fasteners, then carefully use a flat head screw driver or similar to lever the outer lip of the fastener away from the tupperware.

CF650TR Fastener.JPG

Once there is enough purchase on the fastener wiggle and pull out from its position. Remove the two PK/Philips head screws.

20130924_073533.jpg

With the fasteners all removed, carefully place the flat edge of a flat headed screw driver under the top edge of the tupperware and the lip of the dash as shown in the photo. Work the flat edge along from one side to the other.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-10-2014 at 04:19 AM.

2. #2 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    Once the two edges are separated there is one remaining plastic retaining clip to work out at the bottom of the dash plastic and the top of the headlight tupperware.

20130924_073658.jpg

Once the top tupperware comes away one is left with a large access area to the rear and underside of the dash as well as the rear of the head light cluster etc.

20130924_073706.jpg

Easy access...

20130924_075117.jpg

Still requires a little finesse and dexterity... to work with the headlight though.

20130924_091737.jpg

Headlight dust cover in place, with two headlight wiring cables.

20130924_091856.jpg

Headlight plug in situ.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.

3. #3 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    20130924_092014.jpg

After sliding off the dust cover from the rear of the headlight, it requires a light 1/8 of a turn to remove the bulb from the headlight.

20130924_092244.jpg

Surprised to see the headlight bulbs were OSRAM brand made in Germany.
    H8 35w.

Despite this, brighter (higher lumen) bulb replacement to come.

4. #4 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    Thanks Doc

It is allways nice to find out about how to remove tupperwear from a good post , its make ones own job alot more easy. From your detailed pictures if one was going to fit HID then the HID ballast could be hang under the 2 screen mounting rails which would be a good location nicely fixs and out of the way . good post Doc
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    OSRAM brand could that be "made in China" type! lol
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    OSRAM brand could that be "made in China" type! lol
    650NK had Phillips H7 55w.. i was expecting something else :)

7. #7 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi all

Just to make sure I don't do something not needed, when the headlights are on, both should be lit? I only ask, at the moment only one is lit, however both are lit when full beam is switched on. I have a feeling I'm goning to have to go through the process listed above, unless of coyrse my headlights are behaving as they should!!!

Cheers

Tony

8. #8 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
    Hi all

Just to make sure I don't do something not needed, when the headlights are on, both should be lit? I only ask, at the moment only one is lit, however both are lit when full beam is switched on. I have a feeling I'm goning to have to go through the process listed above, unless of coyrse my headlights are behaving as they should!!!

Cheers

Tony

All are working fine Tony low beam 1 on , full beam both on ??

9. #9 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi yes

That's good, wasn't looking forward to having to go through the process above :-)

10. #10 Re: CFMoto 650TR headlight access 
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
    Hi all

Cheers

Tony
    Tony, Prince666 is correct... however you could have found the answer simply enough yourself by reading the thread linked in my first post of this thread... which if you'd clicked the link to the CF650 HID upgrade thread... there's even a photo of the 650TR with one headlight illuminated, and an explanation underneath it.
    It's worth noting that many questions you and others might have are likely already answered... if one takes a minute or ten to read various threads and posts.

Just like on many bike forums... the answers that most seek are already documented. It just takes time and patience to read through verbose to find the gems one seeks.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso