Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well I'd say each to their own, my arse dyno says that the Scorpion gives me a nice power curve, the bike feels smoother at low revs and is noticeably ( to me) quicker on acceleration. But mainly she looks good and sounds glorious which is more important to me than a dyno number, but of course that's just me...

2. #12 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by choldy View Post
    Well I'd say each to their own, my arse dyno says that the Scorpion gives me a nice power curve, the bike feels smoother at low revs and is noticeably ( to me) quicker on acceleration. But mainly she looks good and sounds glorious which is more important to me than a dyno number, but of course that's just me...
    I wasn't saying a Scorpion would be rubbish, in fact most likely it's the best exhaust for the bike you can get. More that a random Chinese muffler might be. However I really think Scorpion should give out more data.

3. #13 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    C-Moto Senior
    Sure and I wasn't having a go at you either I was just admitting to being a bit of a tart where my bikes concerned and am swayed more by looks and sound than performance:0)

4. #14 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I wasn't saying a Scorpion would be rubbish, in fact most likely it's the best exhaust for the bike you can get. More that a random Chinese muffler might be. However I really think Scorpion should give out more data.
    I did send a email to Scorpion from the web site asking them for the same data but as of today i have had F/A back from them email was sent 7 days ago i was thinking the same ZMC888
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #15 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    Sure and I wasn't having a go at you either I was just admitting to being a bit of a tart where my bikes concerned and am swayed more by looks and sound than performance:0)
    Hi choldy
    I would be more intrested in what it does for my bike IN POWER GAINS and not just for what it looks or sounds but as we can say thats just me !!!! each to their own
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #16 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    C-Moto Senior
    Maybe I'll check out the cost of a dyno run, just to satisfy the need for data for all you power junkies:0)

7. #17 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Why on earth would you want to put a Chinese made muffler on your bike? Chances are it's loud and runs straight through robs your bike of lots of torque and makes it fail emissions and annual inspection. Also I doubt that the ECU can deal with the changes and would need a complete remap. However it might make your bike sound deeper and louder.
    It's a Chinese made bike, in China... so a Chinese made muffler seems okay to me. As I wrote, if the muffler sucks, is too loud, causes me issues, no worries I'll send it back, refund etc. The seller is willing to take that risk since if it works out then he can advise any other potential buyer it's suitable for the NK/TR. Worth a crack in my book. Sure it might be a straight thru pipe with little to no baffle. If that's the case I'll be sending it back on the sellers 'dime'. Nothing much to loose just a little of my wrenching time. But I figure I'd rather spend on a Chinese made muffler than a Chinese made muffler with an IXIL badge for 2, 3, - 8 times the money.
    The OEM muffler ways heaps, when I was on the prototype NK we had the muffler off, as a friend working for a foreign owned motorcycle exhaust company based here were approached by CFMoto to make them a prototype to replace the one that CFMoto were having made for the first NK production run. Can't recall at the minute how much weight the OEM complete exhaust was, but it was substantial. Most of that weight is in the box of tricks to meet EU3 emission standards underneath. So the one I'm buying will weigh far less than OEM. I'm not after a boom box, if I wanted one of those I'd buy one and wire it up myself with a suitable amp and sub woofer. I want a little more resonance at idle and the low revs. I also want something that looks a little nicer aesthetically. Part of the other reason for wanting a smaller exhaust is so that a mate and I can look at possibly fabricating a centre stand, which can't be done with that big arsed bread loaf bin sized monstrosity slung underneath.

Personally I'd only consider a Scorpion exhaust that's specifically designed for the bike, but even for that I'd need to know how much weight I would save and any dyno proven any increase torque and power before I bought it, they're not providing that information so I'd avoid that too for now.
    If I was overseas for sure, I'd have lots more options, and could get a custom made exhaust fitted and tweaked for the bike professionally but TIC. But then if I was overseas, I"d not be even looking at a PRC made bike, nor a car or SUV or much of anything if I could help it. But, hey I'm here and these are the cards dealt.
    As it happens I do have access to a Dyno should I need it, but what it more important is access to the ECU/ECM module... to alter the mapping tables.

I'll see what happens...

8. #18 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    Maybe I'll check out the cost of a dyno run, just to satisfy the need for data for all you power junkies:0)

Read my post 2 i did ask !!!

But needs to be before and after !!!

9. #19 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdoc
    If I was overseas for sure, I'd have lots more options, and could get a custom made exhaust fitted and tweaked for the bike professionally but TIC. But then if I was overseas, I"d not be even looking at a PRC made bike, nor a car or SUV or much of anything if I could help it. But, hey I'm here and these are the cards dealt.
    I can't understand this mentality, companies in western countries mostly do things properly, Chinese companies tend to do things slap-dash and cash-greedy. Also their service is super slow and they often lie to shift product. So why deal with them if you can avoid it? Buying the same OEM Cheng-shin made in China tires for your next batch? No, OK so for the tires imported is OK after all.

If you've got a western credit card or debit card you can buy a Scorpion and have it sent, might take three weeks to get to you, but that's probably not much different from getting something sent in China. The Chinese muffler has a chance of 99.8% not suiting your bike with any gains in power purely psychological. Anyhow you've got a 52KW bike in China with suicidal idiots on the roads that don't look already, why do you need at best a 54kw bike? Chances for top speed and max acceleration are vanishingly seldom already.

10. #20 Re: WK650 Scorpion Serket Exhaust.... 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I can't understand this mentality, companies in western countries mostly do things properly, Chinese companies tend to do things slap-dash and cash-greedy. Also their service is super slow and they often lie to shift product. So why deal with them if you can avoid it? Buying the same OEM Cheng-shin made in China tires for your next batch? No, OK so for the tires imported is OK after all.

If you've got a western credit card or debit card you can buy a Scorpion and have it sent, might take three weeks to get to you, but that's probably not much different from getting something sent in China. The Chinese muffler has a chance of 99.8% not suiting your bike with any gains in power purely psychological. Anyhow you've got a 52KW bike in China with suicidal idiots on the roads that don't look already, why do you need at best a 54kw bike? Chances for top speed and max acceleration are vanishingly seldom already.
    I just today recieved another set of Bridgestone Battlax tyres for my AN650. I've no idea where they are made, maybe China for all I know. CST tyres as fitted standard on the Jetmax & TR are okay IMO, but seemingly break away more on some of the road markings, even in the dry. Here in these parts we have non-slip road markings.

Agree with you on a number of points, Chinese company mentality being one, and I'm sure that the scorpion exhaust would likely be so much better than the cheap Chinese one I'm getting. I'm getting it because it's way cheaper than the IXIL sold on Taobao, that some CF650' owners have installed. The prices on the IXIL vary by hundreds to thousands of CNY, so who's to say they are real or fakes (some might be made in the same factory I'm getting mine from - who knows). Most of us know how Taobao sellers work! At least in this instance I know I'm buying a cheap no name brand Chinese made exhaust without the IXIL badge. But, I have low expectations. The seller has agreed I try it out, if it works all good, if not, no biggie - send it back for a full refund. Plan on keeping the OEM exhaust, regardless. It's all good. I've already stated why I want the exhaust, a little nicer deeper sound, better under-carriage access to investigate fabricating a centre stand, and better aesthetics all-round. Top end speed is not on my checklist criteria. But if it was, there are plenty of straight low traffic density roads nearby my location where I could open 'er right up.

You are correct, who knows what gains can be made with the un-tested Chinese exhaust maybe 2HP. However if my memory serves me correctly, Scorpion have not been able to provide any info on the exhaust for the CF650 either, which might suggest their exhaust is also untested??? (refer back to Prince666 request for the info - which still hasn't been provided) - but lets say 4-5HP. To buy the Scorpion from the UK or abroad would cost me in both the initial purchase price, added to that, shipping costs, then any PRC customs, so maybe cny5000. Then I'd still need to factor in a remap. So for an extra 2HP power gain I'm paying a fraction of the Scorpion price to me, which would only likely realise a possible 4-5HP gain since we don't know what it offers in ways of improvement. Plus I can send the local exhaust back as already agreed by the Taobao seller and that includes him paying the freight back. FWIW I've previously bought OEM parts from USA, it cost me and the mates (all bought collectively) a substantial amount (my items alone were several thousand US$). We arranged DHL collection from our end, one item never materialised despite the dealer saying they sent it (and they would not send another), and then we got hit with PRC Customs... and the delays. So not looking to repeat that experience any-time soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast