Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I'm going to be trying out this exhaust in about a weeks time. I placed the order yesterday with the Taobao seller and came to an agreement that if the muffler doesn't fit or perform well then I can return it for a refund. The seller had not sold any to owners of the 650TR only those with the 650NK, so he had no idea if it'd fit or not. So mine will be the first. I'd already taken a look under the engine and how the OEM muffler and box of restrictions fits and from the photos, looks like it should be a suitable fit.
    Fingers crossed it fits and works.

cf650 muffler-1.jpg

It certainly is a much cheaper proposition than the IXIL's offered on Taobao for the CF650's, but feel it's worth it. If it works great, if not I'll send it back and then consider if I'll go with an IXIL at triple to four times and even higher prices.

EDIT:
    I''d planned to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes after fitting, then reconnecting to see if the ECU/ECM recalibrates itself - defaults. Wasn't needed. Bike started right on up, no coughing, spluttering, hesitation, or off idle. No popping, farting, misfiring or back-firing.

650tr_muffler_15.jpg

I like the look of the muffler, short and stubby. This is what I like about the OEM muffler/exhaust, in that it's short enough that it doesn't get in the way of the RHS swing arm and wheel. I would prefer this after market one, had the outlet pipe turned more to the RHS as the OEM does, but one can't have everything.

650tr_muffler_16.jpg

I'm not searching for any substantial increase in dB, just a little more throaty sound and deep rumble at idle would be nice, as well as freeing 'er up just a tad... by removing that restricting box slung underneath which weighs like a tonne. OK, more like 5-6kg then. It's a bloody heavy contraption CFMoto had slung under there.

650tr_muffler_14.jpg
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 11-11-2013 at 09:30 AM.