Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    Actually i just had a look at the muffler, I doubt there are any mufflers as short on the market so it's an absolute must to take out the cat, which is not something I'm willing to do, so looks like I'm off the muffler bus.

2. #22 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Actually i just had a look at the muffler, I doubt there are any mufflers as short on the market so it's an absolute must to take out the cat, which is not something I'm willing to do, so looks like I'm off the muffler bus.
    If you are referring that under hanging box I can assure you that it is not a cat in any way. it is just muffler with straight perforated pipe in angle.. well that what i had so I believe that 650NK do not have a catalysator.. and if has it could only be in that case in header pipes like my 2007 Yamaha FZ1-n had.

even if manual wil state that

"Catalytic Converter
    This motorcycle is equipped with a catalytic converter in the exhaust system. Platinum and rhodium in the converter react with carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons to convert them into carbon dioxide and water resulting in much cleaner exhaust gases to be discharged into the atmosphere.
    For proper operation of the catalytic converter, the following caution must be observed."

it will also state that

"Air Suction Valves
    The air suction valve is essentially a check valve which allows fresh air to flow only from the air cle- aner into the exhaust port. Any air that has passed the air suction valve is prevented from returning. Inspect the air suction valves in accordance with the Periodic Maintenance Chart. Also ,inspect the air suction valves whenever stable idling cannot be obtained ,engine power is greatly reduced ,or there are abnormal engine noises.
    Air suction valve removal and inspection should be done by an authorized dealer."

And to my knowledge there is not air suction valves either :) or again they are not in my bike

3. #23 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    How heavy was the "box" then?

4. #24 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    How heavy was the "box" then?
    it was heavy but still it had perforated pipe and you could see other side. could you look your old muffler? try to stick something through and if it get other side it do not have cat..

Motorcycle-Catalytic-Converter.jpg

5. #25 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    Waldo, you're almost certainly wrong, although I hope you're right because it means changing the muffler and 'cat or muffler box' wont make me fail emissions.

Reasons:
    1. To pass Euro 3 emissions the bike must have a cat. Bike has Euro 3.
    2. The place where that box is, is where nearly all manufacturers put a cat
    3. All a cat is, is a perforated pipe in a box
    4. Why would any manufacturer increase costs by putting a muffler box underneath the bike and then also have a muffler if the cat is in the header?

Exhibit 1: A bunch of car cats.
    20130220_1119141_zps0308171a.jpg

Exhibit 2: A Suzuki Gixxer 600 cat, looks kind of similar, no?
    Gixxer 600 cat.jpg

Perhaps Bikerdoc could find out and give us a definitive answer from the factory?

6. #26 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    C-Moto Senior
    Waldo, you're almost certainly wrong, although I hope you're right because it means changing the muffler and 'cat or muffler box' wont make me fail emissions.

Reasons:
    1. To pass Euro 3 emissions the bike must have a cat. Bike has Euro 3.
    2. The place where that box is, is where nearly all manufacturers put a cat
    3. All a cat is, is a perforated pipe in a box
    4. Why would any manufacturer increase costs by putting a muffler box underneath the bike and then also have a muffler if the cat is in the header?

Exhibit 1: A bunch of car cats.
    20130220_1119141_zps0308171a.jpg

Perhaps Bikerdoc could find out and give us a definative answer from the factory?
    well catalytic converter and muffler has completely different jobs, as muffler is there to reduce sound and converter is there to reduce emissions.. and these days most converters are free flowing honey comp design

and catalytic converters are definetly not just perforated tubes if so where would be back pressure? and their job is to filter gasses if they would be just going straight through where would all that filtering happening?
    i would understand if that box under the bike was like number 5 in that picture where is has two pipes entering from different corner and as you can see there that "Brick" that is actually the filter. but as i said my box had just perforated pipe what you could see other side. although it not easy as it is little bend.. :)

7. #27 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    Then the muffler must be the cat and vice-versa. The under bike box is a muffler box and the muffler is the cat then?? There is a cat....somewhere or it isn't euro3 bike and wouldn't be sold in the UK or Australia!

8. #28 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    C-Moto Senior
    Then the muffler must be the cat and vice-versa. The under bike box is a muffler box and the muffler is the cat then?? There is a cat....somewhere or it isn't euro3 bike and wouldn't be sold in the UK or Australia!

Well, take a look inside your pipe ;) if you cant see honey comp then i don't think so then again.. might not be a good idea run cat after muffler.. ;) i am tempted to go downstairs and take a look inside header pipe..

9. #29 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    C-Moto Senior

if you are worried about removing cat, you could take a look this link
    http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapov...9616856edc.pdf

Akrapovic has cat what you install in before slip on.

10. #30 Re: CFMoto 650TR muffler upgrade 
    Waldo it's all good I think I'm just one of those who wants a proper dyno tested muffler with a cat and a properly reprogrammed ECU. My options in China don't allow all that, so I'll leave it for now, unless the cat is in the header....then maybe.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 11-11-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast