Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    @ZMC - totally agree with you.
    @998S - also agree with you about negotiating a "Chinese solution"

China can be so f'd up.

I am not a lawyer, and I have virtually no expertise in Chinese Criminal Law, but I do have working experience inside the Western justice system. Back home, there is the offence of "Theft" and also the separate offence of "Possession of Stolen Property (PSP)." Each are serious offences, and each have equivalent penalties. What is interesting about PSP is the reverse onus - you have to prove that you didn't know that it was stolen. Possessing a vehicle without proper paperwork (e.g., title) would overwhelmingly imply that you knew it was stolen, even if you were not the original thief. You'd almost certainly be charged with PSP, and probably convicted, unless you had a plausible story or a damn good lawyer.

Inside China, I have often heard Chinese people having zero sympathy for thieves - there is a vile hatred of thieves. Theft is considered a very serious crime in China.

However, and this has always totally amazed/confused me, there doesn't seem to be an offence of PSP in China - and people don't seem concerned about it. It appears that once an item is in the market, it is ok, and is freely traded. I don't agree with that, at all, but it seems to be how things operate here.

The same applies with illegal imports - if it is caught by Customs during the importation process, the item is seized and perhaps the smuggler is penalized. But after it is in the country, it appears to be perfectly ok.

The weirdest thing I have seen in Beijing is when the illegal bikes, complete with fake plates, are seized by the police ... the "owner" subsequently goes to the impound lot, pays a fine, and then rides out the front gate of the impound lot with the fake plates still attached. What is this insanity? Some weird "catch & release" program? It is like getting caught with illegal recreational drugs back home, going to the evidence room at the police station, paying a fine, and then walking out the front door of the police station with your goodies in hand.

Chinese logic makes my head hurt.

2. #32 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    The weirdest thing I have seen in Beijing is when the illegal bikes, complete with fake plates, are seized by the police ... the "owner" subsequently goes to the impound lot, pays a fine, and then rides out the front gate of the impound lot with the fake plates still attached. What is this insanity? Some weird "catch & release" program? It is like getting caught with illegal recreational drugs back home, going to the evidence room at the police station, paying a fine, and then walking out the front door of the police station with your goodies in hand.

Chinese logic makes my head hurt.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^
    This kind of thing is exactly why I have to go home once or twice a year. No matter how much Chinese I can speak or write I can never understand Chinese illogic it makes my brain's neurons fire incorrectly and makes it short circuit. There are thousands of examples like unrestrained children in the back of cars going 160km/h on the Expressway, police pulling onto roads without looking, forcing a main highway to yield to a government building entrance. A noob driver who bought their driving license from the police set loose to learn how to drive a car in a seething mass of traffic by copying what other people do. Diving instructors who shouldn't even have a license, let alone be teaching anyone.

The list goes on and on, I could be here all day.

3. #33 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    P.S. sorry just read you post again and your friend was French ok that is fine now
    Were you not the whining pussy when TB got out of line and threw some insulting words at you, crying to get him banned?
    You just proved (again) that you are not any better.
    Do what TB Racing honorably did, get yourself banned plz.

Oh, and he was not a friend, just an acquaintance.

And oh, I did not say I approved, just gave the example upon marcrbeaudry's and Lao Jia Hou's remarks.
    We asked around in the Chinese scene, and this is one of the ways they seem to handle it.

And no, I am not French.

4. #34 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Were you not the whining pussy when TB got out of line and threw some insulting words at you, crying to get him banned?
    You just proved (again) that you are not any better.
    Do what TB Racing honorably did, get yourself banned plz.

Oh, and he was not a friend, just an acquaintance.

And oh, I did not say I approved, just gave the example upon marcrbeaudry's and Lao Jia Hou's remarks.
    We asked around in the Chinese scene, and this is one of the ways they seem to handle it.

And no, I am not French.
    For a start i did not get your "mate" banned he asked to be banned BIG difference between the 2 i dont cry well yes i did once when my mum died and did i say your was French!! you was talking about your friend not you so read my post correctly let other people judge me not you who comes from Shanghai and rides a Ducita like TB does

whining pussy
    Ho please i been called many things in my life but that, come on you can do better then that ! at least TB had some inspiration with his words

so have a good day
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #35 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    Re: the vile hatred of thieves comes through in this shocking video ...

Those two thieves seem to be handcuffed, and the aggressors seem to be using collapsible batons.

Damn, I wonder if they were plain clothes police? Rodney King, a la China?

And, of course, the assembled crowd.

Amazing.

6. #36 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Re: the vile hatred of thieves comes through in this shocking video ...

Those two thieves seem to be handcuffed, and the aggressors seem to be using collapsible batons.

Damn, I wonder if they were plain clothes police? Rodney King, a la China?

And, of course, the assembled crowd.

Amazing.
    Looks fair to me and no one had to pay 10K to get your own bike back even a French man ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #37 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    Sorry, I just noticed this ad (originally posted on October 8). But the bike is still for sale.

http://www.weifengtang.com/bbs/forum...ead&tid=699771

Don't know if it was/is your bike, but that price seems a little low. Remember, if that is your bike, the seller is probably not the original thief.

8. #38 Re: BMW F800S Yellow stolen in Beijing! Plz contact if you see it. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you so much for the heads up. It appears there are at least 3 of these bikes in Beijing that are for sale. So far, none of them are mine. My bike has some scratches and minor blemishs that I would be able to id pretty quickly. So far, the bike has disappeared into the void.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234