Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Gents - was wondering if anyone knows of a tyre shop in Beijing they could recommend and vouch for. I have a pretty severe tyre (and possibly a wheel) roundness issue on the rear wheel/motor of the new e-scooter which I just picked up on Sunday (which runs on 13 inch wheels, in case that's relevant) which results in a wobble at speeds over 50km/h. I did take a bit of a gamble by buying directly from the manufacturer, as there aren't any dealers for the bike in Beijing, so it's very much DIY when it comes to servicing and fixing problems.

I've tried searching the forum and was surprised to not find any threads/posts discussing tyre shops.

Thanks!

2. #2 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Bump...

Nobody?

3. #3 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    All the Jing'rs I know (myself included) have never found a decent motorcycle wheel/tire shop in Beijing. By the way, the mere presence of a mechanical tire R&R machine, or even a Balancer, definitely does NOT mean the shop operator has a clue what he is doing.

Sorry.

4. #4 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Wow that's crazy! Yet at the same time, not entirely unbelievable. You would've thought that in a city of 20,000,000, at least one person would have some good idea of how to balance and true a wheel.

How does everyone get here (and on the Chinese forums) get their tyres changed, and done well?

5. #5 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Don't worry if your e-bike has a balance problem over 50km/h because it won't be doing that speed for very long

6. #6 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Quote Originally Posted by branng View Post
    Gents - was wondering if anyone knows of a tyre shop in Beijing they could recommend and vouch for. I have a pretty severe tyre (and possibly a wheel) roundness issue on the rear wheel/motor of the new e-scooter which I just picked up on Sunday (which runs on 13 inch wheels, in case that's relevant) which results in a wobble at speeds over 50km/h. I did take a bit of a gamble by buying directly from the manufacturer, as there aren't any dealers for the bike in Beijing, so it's very much DIY when it comes to servicing and fixing problems.

I've tried searching the forum and was surprised to not find any threads/posts discussing tyre shops.

Thanks!
    50 km on a E-Bike surely that is illegal
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    seriously though I think it's difficult to balance this type of wheel as the e-motor and reduction gears are inside the hub and always rotating so you are trying to balance the whole gubbins. If you can see a visual imbalance it is probably a dud tyre so check it is seated correctly and if all else fails replace it.

8. #8 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    I've been seriously contemplating a steering damper just becuase it would help damp out some of the wheel wobble caused by my bike's unbalanced wheels.

9. #9 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    lol yeah make it an Ohlins. I suppose you could balance it somewhat by eye . Spinning the wheel by hand and see the high spot , this must be the "heavy" side as the mass is further from the axle and just stick a ton of weight on the opposite side in a trial and error type procedure.

10. #10 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu
    Don't worry if your e-bike has a balance problem over 50km/h because it won't be doing that speed for very long
    Hrmm... that would be an assumption, and an incorrect one at that ;) Some e-scooters are more equal than others...

Quote Originally Posted by prince666
    50 km on a E-Bike surely that is illegal
    Well, best I can find of something resembling a piece of regulation on e-bikes in China is that they are not to exceed 20km/h (which is ridiculous, given that when we ride on our bicycles in a peloton - for sport - 30km/h is considered "slow"; professionals regularly get to 50km/h). So as far as I can tell, every single e-bike sold and used in China is illegal.

If you can see a visual imbalance it is probably a dud tyre so check it is seated correctly and if all else fails replace it.
    One of the reasons why I'm looking for a decent tyre shop who can reseat a tyre properly and definitively rule of the possibility of the tyre having low/high spots on it. Or even better, one that has a truing rig of some sort.

Spinning the wheel by hand and see the high spot , this must be the "heavy" side as the mass is further from the axle and just stick a ton of weight on the opposite side in a trial and error type procedure.
    Not to sound patronising, but I think you're mixing two things up here: 1. the roundness/trueness of the wheel/tyre and 2. the balance of the wheel/tyre. My understanding is that they're mutually exclusive things i.e. the high spot need not necessarily be the "heavy" side, and vice-versa.

Thanks for the suggestions all though. Guess I'll have to keep on looking. Will update if I find anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast