Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Quote Originally Posted by branng View Post
    How does everyone get here (and on the Chinese forums) get their tyres changed, and done well?
    Do it yourself. If it's a big bike, take the wheels off, go to any car tire shop and use their tire machine. If it's a smaller bike, use tire irons. Balance it yourself, you can search the sight to see my tire balancer thread.

Don't worry, by the time you leave China you will be an expert at fixing everything because you eventually get frustrated with the local professionals and can usually do a better job by yourself.

Cheers!

2. #12 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    fact is mate its an e-bike, every km it travels the voltage is dropping so whereas a motorcycle will travel until it runs out of gas and can then be refuelled in about 2 minutes, an e-bike has to be charged for hours. The faster it goes the less distance it travels. So I will stand by that assumption . The tyre is either seated on the bead or it is not. If it's not then stand well back and inflate it to whatever your compressor can puff. If its still not round it never will be so go buy a new one.

3. #13 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    an e-bike has to be charged for hours
    I'll grant you that this is a drawback of electric modes of transport and will be until some rapid, hot-swappable battery solutions come along e.g. Tesla's 90 second battery swap solution for the Model S.

But this is the way I think of it: would you charge up your phone while you're asleep at home, or would you rather take it into some guy's shop to get it charged up while you're out and about?

The faster it goes the less distance it travels.
    Not to be rude, but this isn't true for gas motorcycles? Anyway, I don't want to start a flame war; thanks for the suggestions. I'm starting to think it's the hub motor itself that's out of true though. :(

Balance it yourself, you can search the sight to see my tire balancer thread.
    Seems like Sumomoto make some pretty nice stuff! Got in touch with Kimi from Sumomoto who offered their new 'Deluxe' wheel balancer the WB3003-D for a reasonable price. So I pulled the trigger on it.

Deluxe_Balancer.jpg

Apparently they don't sell the WB3003 non-Deluxe version (the one on their website) anymore.

4. #14 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    Pretty sure a motorcycle will achieve the same speed when it has a full tank or one liter left. If you are referring to LPG powered scooters they have a pressure regulator so no change in speed until the very last dregs of the tank. Btw ChinaV suggested you balance it yourself. Most e-bike tyres are removed with a rusty screwdriver but a pair of tyre levers will cause less damage to the rim. It is entirely possible your hub/motor/wheel is out of round in which case there is not much you can do except replace it and no guarantee the replacement will be any better. Not trying to flame you mate it's just my kiwi sense of humour. Good luck with the problem and keep it shiny side up.

5. #15 Re: Tire shop in Beijing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I am pretty sure that all big bike brands have their own specialized and trained mechanics. E.g. A Ducati dealer must have a mechanic that can replace worn out stock tires with new ones, do the balancing etc. Has anyone tried to get their own bike serviced by them? Will they accept other-brand bikes and just offer mechanical service?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12