Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think you or someone mentioned this on Chinariders.

Does Chinariders even know about us yet?

Not sure, it hasn't been posted, except in your ride report link.

4. #14 A couple new Lifan dual sports 
    C-Moto Noob
    Having owned a couple of chinese bikes and currently having a Lifan 200 GY-5 I will share what I have learned. First of all
    American Lifan and Lifan are not the same, if you buy an American Lifan from their dealer network you will get a warranty,
    MCO and a bill of sale. They definitely are EPA and DOT approved and each bike has the proper stickers attached. Now,
    not to mention any names but there are a lot of dealers that are selling direct imported bikes that are grey market. American
    Lifan will not recognize them and will not warrantly them, if your dealer wont supply parts, you are screwed.
    There is a big misconception about the cheaper bikes using Lifan Engines. Fact is most of them dont for one reason, they cost
    more. They may look the same and the dealers will say they are Lifan, but beware. Real Lifan 200cc engines are known as
    163FML-2, OHC, the big givaway to a non Lifan engine is the stroke. This engine has a stroke of 63.5 x 62.2mm which is relatively
    long and contributes to it's low RPM torque.
    The Engines used on most of the bikes mentioned in these forums including the nice looking blue one with the gold inverted fork's
    are using non Lifan Engines. They look almost the same but their not, the biggest giveaway is the stroke, most of them are Jailing or Stannic
    short stroke engines, 63.0 x 43.0mm and 61x 49. 5mm. They may or may not have OHC and they are not up to Lifan Quality.
    The chinese are very good at copying another manufacturers product on the outside, but inside, Beware.
    Having worked on several of these clones I can say that the Lifan is the best of the bunch. The Engines are practically Bulletproof
    if properly maintained and the Steel used and the Weld Quality on their Frames are far above anything else I have seen.
    If you are looking for a bike check Lifan's website and get some registered dealer names from them, if you negotiate you can get one in the 1200.00-1400
    range delivered and you wont have the Headache of trying to get it Registered or getting part's when you need them. Most dealers just have them drop shipped from American Lifan in Dallas, not a scooter shop!
    They do cost a little more, but remember, you get what you pay for!

Apost...

You sound like you've really done your research! Do you work for Lifan or a fan of their products?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Motorcycle model: LF200GY-5B
    Dimension ((LBH mm):2130*820*1140
    Wheel base (mm):1390
    Min.Ground Clearance (mm): 240
    Dry Weight:126kg
    Height Of Seat (mm): 790
    Fuel Tank Capacity(L): 8
    Engine Type:Single-cylinder, air-cooled,four-stroke
    Engine model: 163FML-2MP
    BoreStroke: 63.5mm*62.2mm
    Displacement: 196.9ml
    Maximum Net Power 10.2kw/8000r/min
    Maximum Torque:14N.m/6500r/min
    Clutch: Wet multi-plate
    Lubrication: Pressure/splash
    Start: Electric start/kick start
    Ignition:.C.D.I
    Transmission: 5 gear
    Max. Speed (km/h): 90km/h
    Economical Fuel Consumption (l/100km): ≤2.3L/100km
    Front Type Size and Air Pressure: 2.75-21/200KPa
    Rear Type Size and Air Pressure: 4.10-18/225KPa
    Climbing Ability (): ≥20
    Exhaust Index: CO≤3.8%;HC≤800ppm
    Start Performance: ≤15s
    Braking system (front/rear): disk/drum
    Brake Performance: ≤7m/30km/h

For More

Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Like I said, it will come to economics for me. Cheap 200's with standard forks/rear drum brake might be what I get, but the 250 Hi-bird seems intriguing as it is the first mass-produced (cheap) 250 available in the US. But the Qingqi is calling my name, and that is a 200--go figure!

(is the Qingqi available in Canada?)
    Calcune, hi, this is Seer. I'm also looking into a 250 for the same reason you are, 200 is nice but a few more hp would get you a relaxed 65-70 ish which would make me feel a LOT better about taking short stints on the freeway, expressway etc. Scares hell out of you to have these guys whiz past at 80 when your buzzing along at 55....so I hear what you're saying.
    I'd be interested in hearing about the HiBird if you could shoot me a priv message..

Also, saw a new Quingqui 200 motard in Medford Oregon over the weekend and looked great from about 20 feet away,,however, up close, not so great.
    Dunno whether it was just this one model, but all in all, my Hanma 200GY looked better assembled. Rear swing arm on the Quin was not impressive.
    Frankly i'd love to find one something like the Sukida 250 GY-4 I posted about elsewhere. Here's the link...http://www.sukidacycle.com/Enhtml/product_122.html

anyway, shoot me a priv on the HiBird if you would :)
    thanx

Seer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12