Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    They now need the cell phone record of any calls from the SUV, they I believe would have called the police? They also should have driven to a local police station to make a report, the pursuit lasted and hour?

If you are on the highway surrounded by motorcycles you do what? Slow down move to the right lane and if needed call law enforcement?

I do not know but perhaps this driver thought it was his road too and tried weaving through them and hit one, then it is matter of pulling over and calling police, its not about ridding away…who does that. The panic excuse does not work, would doing that be safer, obviously not.

2. #12 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    I am fairly certain that the video came on after the hit and skip and 23 seconds in you see the rider addressing the prior hit and skip, he and the others force the SUV to stop. The SUV then runs them down and flees.

The mistake the riders made was in that of assuming that a driver that flees an accident has any regard for others. People that are responsible do not flee the seen of an accident, assuming that the wife and daughter was unsafe or stopping would put them in harms way is another falsity in judgment. Most men do not harm woman or children, not unless she provoked them and even then it is not typical for men to strike woman.

I would say the SUV driver was a coward and with obviously no respect for life, the bikers assumed to be totally lacking in chivalry, obviously untrue since the ultimate extreme results left the mother and daughter physically unharmed. The physiological harm would be the result of….well the fathers poor judgment.

I wonder what was said in the car between the two….we must stop or just run them over? I would lean toward the later since they hit one an kept going and then ran two more over to escape addressing hitting the first one.
    Last edited by MJH; 10-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.

3. #13 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    OK we are all riders on this forums.... now i ask what would you do if you was the driver ????

I would do the same .......as the driver ..... would not be happy doing it

please post "What would you do"

For starters i would never hit and run someone unless its a chinese ghost crossing the street at 3 a.m.

Things didnt have to end up that way if the suv driver just pulled over right after the first hit then tend to the injured biker and his bike, his excuse was total BS!!! He's scared for this wife and 5 month old baby's safety? so running over a bunch of bikers that led to a highway chase was his bright idea?!? What a moron!

And the media did a great job of making him look like the victim., kept repeating he did that for his family's well being...

IMHO theres no need for violence, police and insurance are there for a reason. Poor decision making and a bit of adrenalin rush led to this unfortunate event.

4. #14 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I am fairly certain that the video came on after the hit and skip and 23 seconds in you see the rider addressing the prior hit and skip, he and the others force the SUV to stop. The SUV then runs them down and flees.

The mistake the riders made was in that of assuming that a driver that flees an accident has any regard for others. People that are responsible do not flee the seen of an accident, assuming that the wife and daughter was unsafe or stopping would put them in harms way is another falsity in judgment. Most men do not harm woman or children, not unless she provoked them and even then it is not typical for men to strike woman.

I would say the SUV driver was a coward and with obviously no respect for life, the bikers assumed to be totally lacking in chivalry, obviously untrue since the ultimate extreme results left the mother and daughter physically unharmed. The physiological harm would be the result of….well the fathers poor judgment.

I wonder what was said in the car between the two….we must stop or just run them over? I would lean toward the later since they hit one an kept going and then ran two more over to escape addressing hitting the first one.
    Boy you sure are giving allot of benefit of the doubt to those who are already committed to the mob mentality.

Just the very thought of a pack ride makes me cringe. When i lived in Japan, there would be a band of young guys, teens really, that just rode around town at nite revving their 2 strokes just to make noise. Harmless really, but that was the Japanese equivalent...

But the culture in NY is far different.
    We can't know what happened before the camera started to roll, but if a pack or individual in a pack, chooses to do something as dangerous as bringing traffic to a dead stop on one of the busiest highways in one of the busiest cities in the world, then most bets are off. That act right there could have ended in far worse than just a beating... how about an 18 wheel semi taking out the SUV, family, every bike and biker in the adjacent 2 lanes...

So you say the driver might have fled a previous fender bender? if so get his plate and call the police. Keep your distance and follow him home if you want, then call the police again...
    But I'm not aware of any proof there was any contact other than that caused by the biker stopping short in front of the driver.

But stopping traffic on the WSHW? perhaps that biker was no coward as you call the driver, but sure as hell he was the one with no obvious respect for life, that or just plain stupid. you never been on the west side highway have you MJH? How about NYC?

Nah, that biker stopping traffic was looking for trouble, unfortunately it found him. He was the one that got run over wasn't he? If not then its even more unfortunate.
    But like i said, you wouldn't find me participating in anything so juvenile.
    Last edited by axa; 10-01-2013 at 11:34 PM.

5. #15 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by axa View Post
    Boy you sure are giving allot of benefit of the doubt to those who are already committed to the mob mentality.

Just the very thought of a pack ride makes me cringe. When i lived in Japan, there would be a band of young guys, teens really, that just rode around town at nite reving their 2 strokes just to make noise. Harmless really, but that was the Japanese equivalent...

But the culture in NY is differnt.
    We cant know what happened before the camera started to roll, but as a pack, or individual in a pack chooses to do something as dangerous as bringing traffic to a dead stop one of the busiest highways in one of the busiest cities in the world, most bets are off. That act right there could have ended in far worse fatalities than just a beating... how about a 18 wheel semi taking out the SUV, family, and every bike and biker in the adjacent 2 lanes...

So the driver might have fled a previous fender bender, if so get his plate and call the police. Keep your distance and follow him home if you want, then call the police again...
    But Im not aware of proof there was contact other than the one the biker caused stopping in front of the driver.

Stopping traffic on the WSHW? ya that biker was no coward, but sure as hell was the one with no obvious respect for life, or just stupid. you never been on the west side highway have you MJH? How about NYC?

Nah, that biker stopping traffic was looking for trouble, unfortunatly it found him. He was the one that got run over wasn't he? If not then its even more unfortunate.
    But like i said, you wouldn't find me participating in anything so juvenile.
    .... +1

6. #16 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Lots of assumption all-round in some of the replies. We don't really know what proceeded the incident. Lots of conjecture. Stress and the heady mix of adrenalin can and do make people react in unpredictable ways often that are uncharacteristic. Groups and packs of people (just like some animal and insect populations) can bring about collective behaviours also very uncharacteristic and unpredictably. I'm sure some of us here have seen herd mentality at play given various situations -especially in PRC although not exclusively. Added to that the very real possibility that one or more of the participants involved may or could have been carrying a gun with ammunition.

Possibly in different circumstances cooler heads would likely prevail. There are no absolutes in the situation, and WE don't know all the facts. Let he without sin cast the first stone!

7. #17 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    It is difficult to ascertain the facts, at this point (police are still investigating), but it seems that the following might be close to the truth ...

1) One biker "brake checked" the Range Rover (RR);
    2) The RR bumped the bike, knocking him off, but not seriously injuring him (this rider was subsequently charged with various offences);
    3) The RR pulled over to the side of the road;
    4) The bikers swarmed the RR and began hitting the RR with their helmets, and attempting to slash the RR's tires;
    5) The RR driver tried to escape the melee, running over one rider who was stopped in front of the RR (this rider was seriously injured);
    6) The chase / harassment began, and lasted for >50 blocks; and,
    7) At the end, the RR driver had his window smashed and he was dragged from the vehicle and beaten.

Apparently, the group (Hollywood Stuntz) organizes annual rides into NYC. In 2012, the group went into Times Square and created gridlock while essentially taking over the Square and performed stunts on motorcycles.The following video is apparently from their 2011 "ride".

That video was originally on Youtube, but I moved it onto Youku for those of us behind the GFW. It comes from this article:

Did Hollywood Stuntz Attack This Prius Driver in 2011?

Here is one article about this recent 2013 event, explaining the one motorcyclist's injuries.

1 biker charged, another critical in NYC Range Rover chase
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 10-01-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: fix font

8. #18 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I do not know but perhaps this driver thought it was his road too and tried weaving through them and hit one, then it is matter of pulling over and calling police, its not about ridding away…who does that. The panic excuse does not work, would doing that be safer, obviously not.
    According to the newspapers, this same group of bikers, including such famous gangs (/s) as "Hollywood Stuntz" were involved in a ride last year where they took off their plates and drove through Times Square. I know its an ad hominem argument but given their previous behaviour and the fact that they had again removed their plates it's not likely that they would have behaved like you or I after the initial "bump" and exchanged insurance information by the side of the road. Again, according to the newspaper reports, the bikers started smashing the Rover as soon as he pulled over, slashing his tires and taking out a passenger window. I don't know about you but if I had a 2 year old sitting in the back seat I would have taken off too.

I'm not condoning the injury that happened to the one rider who was possibly left a paraplegic, the driver of the Rover should have to pay for that. However, given the circumstances I don't think the driver had any other choice.

/edit: LJH posted while I was writing. Not sure if the Times Square ride was last year or 2011, I saw mention of it on Reddit in 2012.

9. #19 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    They arrested this punk today:
    punk.JPG

"Christopher Cruz, 28, of Passaic, NJ, was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child and menacing"

update: The reckless endangerment is in the first degree and punishable up to 7 years just on this charge alone.

No mention anything was started prior to this. Apparently they were just trying to clear the road so they could do tricks or what not...

And go figure, here's the unfortunate punk that got run over...
    unfortunate punk.JPG
    His family says he got off the bike to 'help someone else who had fallen', not to do any of the banging on the vehicle or tire slashing of course.
    ya seems legit... looks like that kind of caring guy... for X'st sake...
    (Never mind the fact that there is no report or evidence of any kind of collision that resulted in anyone 'falling')

"Pix-11 reported that the NYPD received more than 200 phone calls about the bikers on Sunday."
    Hey, these could have been all calls of positive praise, right?

i have no idea how any of you are defending this shit
    Last edited by axa; 10-02-2013 at 04:24 AM.

10. #20 Re: Group ride goes bad 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    My personal view is that the RR driver showed incredible restraint with these scum.

Think about it, you have taken your wife and child out for a Sunday drive.

This shit happens from these clowns.

You pull over and you are mobbed, with people beating on your vehicle, trying to get inside, and also trying to slash your tires.

Are you going to sit there? No f'n way, unless you are brain dead!

And in the ensuing "chase", not once does the RR driver make any motions to knock bikers off/away. How many drivers, being swarmed by hornets, might not be tempted to swat at a few? I'd say that if those low-lifes on the bikes were, instead, driving the RR, they'd probably be trying to score as many points as possible by swerving each time a bike got too close.

Yeah, in my books, kudos to the RR driver for maintaining his cool in a terrifying situation.

What a disgrace. These scum have effectively destroyed all the work that motorcycle organizations have done in their attempt to have motorcycling portrayed in a positive light.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast