Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. #51 Re: The Moriarty MKII, a new project bike for a friend 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That mud guard is just what I hoped for. Great
    Now you just need one of those Gatling Gun Exhausts.

2. #52 Re: The Moriarty MKII, a new project bike for a friend 
    Okay, so it's D-day... the Moriarty is to be ridden tomorrow morning (4:30am) to Zhuhai and to be delivered to its new owner!

I had some last minute work to do on it this morning before work.

First, I had to spray the heat shield on that awful exhaust (don't worry I've sourced new ones and I'll send him an upgrade in the future), also the rear wheel needed proper spraying and I needed to fit the new o-ring chain...

wheel1.jpg
    Those left over beer bottles from Sunday's house party sure came in handy holding down the newspaper :)

I'll be sure to post pictures of the ride (it's quite a long way to Zhuhai) and the handover when it happens tomorrow morning!

In the mean-time here's a sneak peek of the other two Moriarties I've been working on!

mmexport1382981251380.jpg

mmexport1382981271868.jpg

Stay tuned for more Moriarty build updates (I'm getting a 300cc motor for the next one!!).

- SerpentZA (www.youtube.com/serpentza)

3. #53 Re: The Moriarty MKII, a new project bike for a friend 
    Okay... so the day before there was an annoying buzzing sound coming from the bike, couldn't pinpoint it but it was very noticable and very annoying, seemed to be coming from up front near the gauges but for the life of me I couldn't pinpoint it, I went over all the nuts and bolts, made sure everything was tightened up and in place... just couldn't find it... Turned out it was the bloody petrol cap, the little keyhole lid was loose and vibrating... what a stupid little thing.... Anyway, 4:30 am and I was off to Zhuhai

handover1.jpg

Here's a picture of the bike on the Humen ferry (only 8rmb to cross).... But let me tell you something about the trip... the roads between me (Shenzhen) and Zhuhai are probably some of the worst most crap, disgusting bloody roads in China! G107 anyone? Basically on the Shenzhen side of the Estuary it's all non stop industrial blight, disgusting broken up roads crammed full of trucks, dust, construction and filth... in fact there may actually be no single tree the whole way...

handover2.jpg

The sun was rising.. I'd boarded the ferry at around 6:20AM

The other side of the Estuary is slightly better, but still crappy, factories spewing smog and uncountable trucks all trying to run you off the road.... the roads are less under construction and more forgiving, but let's face it... this trip is basically 138kms of absolute crap... it was a good test of the bike!

handover3.jpg

The journey took me around 3hrs and 20mins including the ferry ride and a massive 7am truck traffic jam that stretched for about 20kms....

handover4.jpg

I arrived around 8am in Zhuhai, had a little breakfast and gave the bike a once over... 442kms on the new engine (it's still a baby), basically run in now, had a nice new oil change the night before...

handover5.jpg

I managed to avoid any big puddles on the way so she was still pretty clean... what do you think about my matt black side panels? That was a night before addition... sanding, primer and a proper paint :)

Next.. I hand it over

4. #54 Re: The Moriarty MKII, a new project bike for a friend 
    Right, so I'd arrived, had my breakfast and then headed over to wait for my mate Pete to come home from his morning gig...

handover6.jpg

She's a pretty little bike... I really enjoyed the way she handled and the sheer amount of grunt that little Shineray engine gives out (especially since it's such a small cut down simple and light frame).

handover7.jpg

Pete, on the bike that was built for him!

handover8.jpg

He took it for a spin, he's a normal sized foreigner, same height as myself, bike fit him perfectly and he commented on how much more comfortable the riding position was compared to the Churchill :)

handover9.jpg

Watch out for the puddle there mate if you value your shirt!

handover10.jpg

At the end of the day, a happy customer, I'll still be giving him a wider rear tyre in the future, a rear mud guard (still working on finding the right solution) and of course I'll be replacing the petrol tank with a properly painted and branded one as soon as I've got that all sorted.

So there we have it, the Moriarty MKII made, delivered and a complete success!

Keep your eye out for the MKIII

- SerpentZA (youtube.com/serpentza)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456