Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 ZMC's Attempt to get a Chinese License Blog 
    After a few years of being 'technically' illegal on the Chinese roads ZMC has decided to attempt to get a Chinese driving license both car and motorcycle. (Andy will be pleased) In my opinion the whole system is a farce. Why can Chinese people go to other countries to drive but it is so hard for foreigners to drive here? Also I have already jumped through these hoops in my home country, I have already sat a test and passed it for motorcycle, car and have even have a license for goods vehicles (full sized semi-trailers, commercial license) and I am licensed to even drive coaches (non-commercial license). I have also done many hours of advanced training.

I will attempt to do the whole application myself, and will document the time it takes. I will do this as cheaply as possible using a bicycle.

Day 1 -
    -Went to police office, was told to get my foreign license translated by the local foreign affairs department.
    -Went to foreign affairs department, it had moved, so took taxi to new location.
    -Got to new foreign affairs office, told me as well as passport and home license, I also need a stamped letter from my employer to prove I really work here. But employer is shut until 15th February.

Time thus far spent - 2 hours
    Money spent - 11 RMB
    Weeks/months spent getting license - 1 day

Wait for the next thrilling installment! Will ZMC get a license or won't he?!

Only the Shadow knows!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Next installment will be in 10 days, when I can get a stamped letter from my employer!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Only the Shadow knows!

CC
    What evil lurks in the heart of men

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Subcribed. Good luck ZMC.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    After a few years of being 'technically' illegal on the Chinese roads ZMC has decided to attempt to get a Chinese driving license both car and motorcycle. (Andy will be pleased)

In my opinion the whole system is a farce. Why can Chinese people go to other countries to drive but it is so hard for foreigners to drive here?
    Indeed ridiculous. From what I've heard, there are ongoing talks between the EU (maybe others as well) and Chinese negotiators regarding this topic (Embassy source). But whenever some EU officials are meeting Mr. ialaD amaL or are otherwise meddling in their "internal affairs", the whole thing comes to a halt.

The best of luck for your

Andy

Thanks for the support Andy!

The whole process could come to a halt at any time, my employer could decide that they'd prefer to 'protect' me (stopping themselves getting in trouble) by refusing to issue the stamped letter. That probably won't happen, as they have already helped someone else get their license.

It may seem a little bit cynical, but having talked to many Chinese nationals in English and Chinese about his, many Chinese nationals want to believe that foreigners are not capable or not able to drive in China. I even known isolated cases where Chinese have become angry, annoyed or incredulous about the fact that a foreigner has a Chinese driving license. I have often heard them say 'we drive differently in China to other countries, so a foreigner wouldn't be able to drive here'. I've even heard this from my Chinese boss, and even my wife! (I think this is because many Chinese know that they aren't very good drivers and are acting out of feeling insecure). If they really had a significantly different driving system, with very different rules this could be arguable, but they don't, as they have copied their driving rules from South Korea, and the USA, however most people don't really understand the rules, hence the chaos!

The fact is, it seems many Chinese nationals would be more comfortable with the idea that foreigners not be able to drive on the roads here, so there will be no pressure for change internally.

We could a make an issue out of this, and have foreign governments preventing Chinese nationals from driving on roads overseas, but knowing Chinese culture well, this would simply backfire badly.

Hopefully sometime in March I should be fully licensed......

Of course, if I can't get one, I won't ride at all!

It would just be nice to ride past a police traffic patrol without any sense of paranoia, knowing I'm 100% legal!
    Last edited by ZMC888; 02-07-2009 at 06:23 AM.

C-Moto Regular
    It would just be nice to ride past a police traffic patrol without any sense of paranoia, knowing I'm 100% legal!
    Even with correct documents you will have that feeling.
    They can always fuck you for something....

anyway good luck. I got my license just because of luck.
    Riding the horse to death

http://tuo-ma-si.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by tokyokid
    Even with correct documents you will have that feeling.
    I've been in China long enough, and seen what has happened to people like Brice to know not to feel too comfortable.

That is a potential trap over here, some people are 100% legal, but that is no guarantee of being safe. Anyone that has an accident evolving someone well connected, who has important government friends, or a friend who is a judge or senior police officer, may well find that fault can be shifted, and the tables turned.

I have often heard them say 'we drive differently in China to other countries,
    They say it because they do.

The letter from the employer is a new one. Not heard of that before.......but TIC and they can and do just make obstacles up as necessary.

I got my license in Shanghai.......easy really and a bit of a laugh. I first got a Temporary which is good just for cars because my passport wasn't valid for a year........got a new passport, took the additional weird practical tests and got the full license. I wrote in the D endorsement on my paperwork myself while I was doing the tests because they were a bit reluctant to give me one.......when I got to the person who actually types in and issues the license she was none the wiser.

Some of the practical tests administered by the men in white coats were hilarious, I don't think that they subject you to those anymore.......more's the pity.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast