After a few years of being 'technically' illegal on the Chinese roads ZMC has decided to attempt to get a Chinese driving license both car and motorcycle. (Andy will be pleased) In my opinion the whole system is a farce. Why can Chinese people go to other countries to drive but it is so hard for foreigners to drive here? Also I have already jumped through these hoops in my home country, I have already sat a test and passed it for motorcycle, car and have even have a license for goods vehicles (full sized semi-trailers, commercial license) and I am licensed to even drive coaches (non-commercial license). I have also done many hours of advanced training.

I will attempt to do the whole application myself, and will document the time it takes. I will do this as cheaply as possible using a bicycle.

Day 1 -
-Went to police office, was told to get my foreign license translated by the local foreign affairs department.
-Went to foreign affairs department, it had moved, so took taxi to new location.
-Got to new foreign affairs office, told me as well as passport and home license, I also need a stamped letter from my employer to prove I really work here. But employer is shut until 15th February.

Time thus far spent - 2 hours
Money spent - 11 RMB
Weeks/months spent getting license - 1 day

Wait for the next thrilling installment! Will ZMC get a license or won't he?!