Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Went to police this morning, and picked up my new driving license, C1D entitlement (all cars and 3 and 2 wheeled motorcycles). Was surprised to find that the issuing of the license was actually for free, so all my expenditure was for the eye test, photos, travel, multiple choice test and the bulk of the cost was for the translation of the license. The license is valid for six years.

Time thus far spent (including travel) - 8 hours
    Time thus far (not including travel) - 3 hours
    Money spent - 374.6 RMB
    Weeks/months spent getting license - 35 days

Final thoughts

While the process was covered in red tape and heavily bureaucratic, it was worth my time to get my license knowing that if the worst happens I'll be as covered as I can be, and I encourage anyone else who has a visa that entitles them to residency to do the same. Although being legally covered in no way will prevent me from being blamed if the worst happens. As it looks like I'm going to be living in China or at least visiting regularly and the laws are only going to become more stringent over time, and also knowing the potentially harsh punishments for being naughty, it was a good idea to finally get the license.

I still think the system is a farce in regards to foreigners who are not on residency visas. There needs to be some way of translating an IDP with motorcycle and car licenses into some kind of Chinese temporary driving license. Hopefully this is coming soon.

Congratulations Z, nice to see a happy ending to your story.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Congratulations 888, I'll have a on you for your tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Time thus far spent (including travel) - 8 hours
    Time thus far (not including travel) - 3 hours
    Money spent - 374.6 RMB
    Weeks/months spent getting license - 35 days
    Money and time wise it's really not a big deal in general I'd say.
    Do you think the whole time-span can be reduced, once you know the procedure?

... it was a good idea to finally get the license.
    It definitely was a good idea

I still think the system is a farce in regards to foreigners who are not on residency visas. There needs to be some way of translating an IDP with motorcycle and car licenses into some kind of Chinese temporary driving license. Hopefully this is coming soon.
    There is a way for temporary licenses already, covered in red tape, twice as long as the distance from earth to moon. Hope springs eternal!

Happy

Andy
    Andy

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #35 Re: ZMC's Attempt to get a Chinese License Blog 
    *restokes the fire and starts reviving thread*

Hah that really doesn't make it sound so bad. I started digging myself after joining this forum and feeling I should finally do this. Lack of trust in it's use at the end of the day put the idea out of my head pretty fast. Anyway so yea, it's a good thing to do, can't argue with that. Only thing is, I don't have a license from back home, and my friend asked in the official office which said if he (me) doesn't have a license we can't get him a Chinese DL. This confused both of us as we figured I could just do a practical test also, like any other Chinese person.

Has any foreigner obtained a CDL without holding a license for any other country?

Maybe I should go into the office myself...

6. #36 Re: ZMC's Attempt to get a Chinese License Blog 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Several threads on getting legal in Beijing, Shanghai and elsewhere from scratch without a foreign motorcycle license. Try advanced search. Yes, you have to pass a practical test as well a written exam, and you may have to take mandatory training classes.

Yes, you are best off going into your local Vehicle Management Bureau 车管所 to get the information from the horse's mouth. Though there's supposedly a unified national traffic management law, procedures vary widely from place to place. Just go ask.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #37 Re: ZMC's Attempt to get a Chinese License Blog 
    I few of my friends have done the complete test for motorcycles whilst transferring their car entitlement, it's not really that much harder. Generally speaking the Chinese attitude is that you've already got a car license so that must mean that you can ride a bike anyway, and the police don't care about making the motorcycle or three wheeler test too hard as they think the people who take the test are mostly poor and poorly educated.

8. #38 Re: ZMC's Attempt to get a Chinese License Blog 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The same rules are in place throughout the country but procedures can and often do differ dependant on location, then add to that the Guanxi you and any "friends" or others assisting you might have that could make the procedures vary. If you don't have a foreign DL and don't have the necessary Guanxi, it is highly likely you will have to go to a Driving School, to attend classes (this is mandatory - subject to the influences already outlined) - usually a set number. Be prepared if that is the case, to unlearn anything you already know, and suffer consequences of the Chinese driving school system. You'll likely be amongst many students in the one car, though you might be able to negotiate all or some of the status quo, depending on numerous variables. eg. attend only some of all stipulated lessons, hire an instructor and car separately etc.

Personally I would be heading back overseas to get a DL that carries significantly more weight but YMMV.

9. #39 Re: ZMC's Attempt to get a Chinese License Blog 
    For the love of God don't do your (car) driving test here! It will take you five years to learn from experience what 10 hours of good instruction in a western country will teach you!

10. #40 Re: ZMC's Attempt to get a Chinese License Blog 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    For the love of God don't do your (car) driving test here! It will take you five years to learn from experience what 10 hours of good instruction in a western country will teach you!
    ^what he wrote!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast