Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    To begin, I needed to make some adjustments and modifications to the short OEM screen. These will be carried through to the tall screen when I eventually successfully obtain one through CFMoto.

Since I prefer a more direct line-of-sight view of my smartphone come GPS, I have where possible installed the same mounts on my various other rides with the exception of the Dragstar to which I fitted a simple PeriPower branded handle bar mount - simple.

RAM mounts to me have disadvantages which I don't like. Often these RAM mounts and holders are often put in locations where the device is prone or exposed to the elements. My method provides far more protection and I've been able to use and rely on the my smartphone/GPS in adverse weather conditions without having to rely on waterproof cases or removal of the device from the mount. Most RAM mounts are attached to mirror mounts or the top of brake reserviors etc. meaning a not so-line-of-sight view.

First remove the screen which was part of the modification to short OEM screen thread.

20130924_073252.jpg

With screen removed (requires 4mm Allen headed 'key' spanner), proceed to remove two (2) PK screws near top side of dash fascia. Push in the four (4) inner circular plastic fasteners with a little force. Careful as only small amount of force is needed to move the mid section of the fastener in approx 3-4mm. Carefully use a small flat screwdriver placed under the underside of the outer fastener circumference and attempt to slowly wiggle the screw driver tip in a diagonal fashion so as the fastener lifts away from the dash fascia. Work ones way round the fastener, then attempt to remove fastener.

20130924_073533.jpg

Once all fasteners and screws are removed. Using the flat tip of the screw driver, place the edge up under the top edge of overlap of the dash fascia and seperate carefully. Work along the edge from one side to the other. Once the top edge comes away, slide top dash fascia upwards this allows the three underlying locating flange pieces to clear the top edge of the headlight tupperware.

20130924_073658.jpg

With top dash fascia tupperware removed, measure and approximate where hole needs to be drilled for the smartphone/GPS mounting arm.

20130924_075117.jpg

Hole drilled just below top edge of underside of dash in center.

20130924_075152.jpg

Close up view of hole, looks like drill bit slip, but this is just a reflection of the flash on the camera.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-04-2013 at 05:08 AM.

2. #2 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    I have been using a very generic and what was a widely available smartphone/GPS holder as shown in the photos below. Actually I only need the final 'bracket' and the actual universal device holder, so the other two 'brackets' including the 'suction cup' are superfulous to my needs. Given that the whole assembly can be had from various Taobao sellers for as little as cny10, the extra waste is of no consequence. I simply keep the un-needed parts in a plastic "parts" bin. I also bought 20 of the holders as spares. Also I plan on instally one holder on my Burgman 650 Executive on my next trip back home, since the same works well on my Burgman 650 Executive and Jetmax here in PRC. I have a slightly different PeriPower handlebar mount of my Dragstar 1100 Classic - no drilling required.

650tr gps_ph holder 04.jpg

Bracket needed circled in red. The rest of the items are not required for this application. The bolt with the plastic head is just a little too short to work with the dash on the 650TR, so a slightly longer PK coach headed bolt was used.

20130924_075935.jpg

Measuring the distance from the top of the dash for the hole on underside of the dash.

650tr gps_ph holder 06.jpg

Bracket installed.

650tr gps_ph holder 07.jpg

RHS view of bracket installation. Single small hole drilled.

650tr gps_ph holder 08.jpg

Device holder in vertical position.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.

3. #3 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    650tr gps_ph holder 09.jpg

Device holder in horizontal position.

650tr gps_ph holder 10.jpg

RHS view of device holder with screen mounted.

650tr gps_ph holder 11.jpg

Horizontal position of device holder used given height of screen relative to device (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or more commonly HTC HD2). If the two bottom "feet" are placed in-line with the holder then it is possible to still fit a larger device using a combination of the side clamps (spring-loaded ratchet system) and as an additional safety precaution I use a double banded hair-tie. This also helps with taking some of the shock from vibration - should there be any.

Slightly off topic... note the darkened areas over the idiot lights on each end of the instrument panel. I applied a layer of automotive window tint film over these sections to compensate for the overly bright festoon bulbs installed by CFMoto in the dash. The neutral and high beam indication lights were the most bothersome while riding at night. Both these lights give off far too much glare IMO, hindering clear field of vision in dark surroundings. Light pollution! The window tint does a great job of toning this down without detracting from the functionality of the lights, or the aesthetics of the instrument panel. I ended up adding two extra small rectangle 30x20mm areas of film over the two warning lights in question with good results as a single layer of film was not enough. Had to do the same with the Jetmax instrument panel too.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-06-2013 at 12:56 PM.

4. #4 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    650tr gps_ph holder 09.jpg

Device holder in horizontal position.

650tr gps_ph holder 10.jpg

RHS view of device holder with screen mounted.

650tr gps_ph holder 11.jpg

Horizontal position of device holder used given height of screen relative to device (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or more commonly HTC HD2). If the two bottom "feet" are placed in-line with the holder then it is possible to still fit a larger device using a combination of the side clamps (spring-loaded ratchet system) and as an additional safety precaution I use a double banded hair-tie. This also helps with taking some of the shock from vibration - should there be any.

Slightly off topic... note the darkened areas over the idiot lights on each end of the instrument panel. I applied a layer of automotive window tint film over these sections to compensate for the overly bright festoon bulbs installed by CFMoto in the dash. The neutral and high beam indication lights were the most bothersome while riding at night. Both these lights give off far too much glare IMO, hindering clear field of vision in dark surroundings. Light pollution! The window tint does a great job of toning this down without detracting from the functionality of the lights, or the aesthetics of the instrument panel. I ended up adding two extra small rectangle 30x20mm areas of film over the two warning lights in question with good results as a single layer of film was not enough. Had to do the same with the Jetmax instrument panel too.
    Great tip might give that a go, by the way is that a short screen or long screen?.

5. #5 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPhil View Post
    Great tip might give that a go, by the way is that a short screen or long screen?.
    I've fitted the OEM tall screen. Did have an after market tall screen too but went with the OEM tall screen when it became available. Since then there's a whole range of different height screen's available in the mainland. I'm thinking about fitting a taller screen. But not certain as not riding the ICE bikes much these days.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    I've fitted the OEM tall screen. Did have an after market tall screen too but went with the OEM tall screen when it became available. Since then there's a whole range of different height screen's available in the mainland. I'm thinking about fitting a taller screen. But not certain as not riding the ICE bikes much these days.
    Got the same OEM tall screen as yours. Does CFMoto releases taller ones?
    Ride like the wind but stay safe.
    1976 Suzuki B120
    1984 Honda NH125 Lead
    1986 Honda CX Euro
    1988 Yamaha FZ750

7. #7 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Got the same OEM tall screen as yours. Does CFMoto releases taller ones?
    No... These taller (and shorter screens) I referred to are after market.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    C-Moto Senior
    No... These taller (and shorter screens) I referred to are after market.
    I have a taller screen as standard on mine compared to those fitted to earlier models, some versions of the TR were supplied with 2 screens, one small and one long, the parts listing for some years shows 2 screens.

Even though I have a longer screen it could do with being a bit longer still.

I cannot find any after market screens for the TR here in the UK, the TR is still a rare beast on the roads here.

9. #9 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPhil View Post
    I have a taller screen as standard on mine compared to those fitted to earlier models, some versions of the TR were supplied with 2 screens, one small and one long, the parts listing for some years shows 2 screens.

Even though I have a longer screen it could do with being a bit longer still.

I cannot find any after market screens for the TR here in the UK, the TR is still a rare beast on the roads here.
    You can try fitting a MRRA X-creen like me. It is adjustable and deflect enough wind over my helmet.
    Ride like the wind but stay safe.
    1976 Suzuki B120
    1984 Honda NH125 Lead
    1986 Honda CX Euro
    1988 Yamaha FZ750

10. #10 Re: CFMoto 650TR smartphone/GPS holder install 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    You can try fitting a MRRA X-creen like me. It is adjustable and deflect enough wind over my helmet.
    Prince666 when he stayed at my house in UK the other day was telling me someone has put something under top bolts of screen which has the effect of raising the screen, not found a thread about it yet, anybody seen this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast