Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 HELP LEXMOTO XTR CARB 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all

I'm brand new to this forum and new to motorbikes, but not afraid to try and learn as i go, and not afraid to use a spanner!! seeking help on a Lexmoto XTR 125cc i recently bought.

When i bought i noticed that when i turned the handle bars from left to right, the revs would decrease or increase accordingly. No big deal i thought, throttle cable must need slackened, so i did, only to discover the bike wont idle now. So the previous owner must of being using tension on throttle cable to set the idle. Not so good :-(

So next step i took after hunting web pages, was to adjust the engine idle at the carburetor, gave a small clockwise tweak to what i think is the idle speed control screw (highlighted in pics i added). Engine idle came up, great!! Next problem is that the engine sounds a bit sluggish, and when i pull the throttle back quickly the engine will cut out. After more web searching i believe this is because the engine is running rich?? So the next step is to lean out the engine??

This is where my problem is, if the screw i think it is, is actually the idle fuel mix (highlighted with red arrow in pics) then it is totally unaccessible, any one have any tips how to adjust this with out removing the carb??

Or if i am even looking at the correct screw??

The picture i have highlighted another screw with a blue arrow, this should be more easily accessed, is this infact the idle fuel mix screw? not the one i highlighted with the red arrow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bob :)

carb3.jpg

2. #2 Re: HELP LEXMOTO XTR CARB 

3. #3 Re: HELP LEXMOTO XTR CARB 
    C-Moto Noob

4. #4 Re: HELP LEXMOTO XTR CARB 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    neither of the screws you point at are the one you want.
    first - the idle fuel screw is not the one you want - you dont want to play with the
    fuel mix circuit (or you didnt - but you have - so now you need to fix that as well)
    you want the Idle adjustment screw. (idle speed screw)
    right ? you did say all you wanted to do was adjust the idle speed correct ?

second - the screw you did adjust was in fact the idle mixture screw - which , by adjusting
    the air\fuel mix changed the idle speed by increasing or decreasing the fuel mixture at idle
    so you 'thought' you'd done the right thing - but in fact- as you noticed , all you did was get
    change the air\fuel mix- now your bike doesnt run right- or idle correctly.
    try and put that back exactly where it was -

the 2nd poster sent a great PDF - you want the screw that changes the opening on the throttle slide.
    your cable should be slack - start with that - make sure that you can turn the throttle just the slightest
    bit at the bar ad turn the bars in both directions without changing the idle speed -
    once the cable is perfect, then adjust the idle speed .

the air\mixture adjustment you played with - you should turn it in(clockwise) till it JUST begins to idle
    faster then back off an eigth of a turn .
    then readjust your idle speed one last time.

should about nail it.

g'luck
    marc