Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi All,

Been here for 3 years and never knew there was such an active biking community. Nice to see!!!

Anyway, I'm looking to take some time off and do a trip from shanghai down to Bali and hopefully across to Oz down to Perth.

I've done a bit of research, and it seems a bit tricky to get the bike registration and licensing sorted out. I do have my license from back home so I believe this does help? I am only planning on leaving early next year, but would like to get it sorted out properly well in advance.

Anyone got any advice as to where in China it would be best to get the licensing etc sorted?, and more importantly, are there dealers here that sell legit bikes? Specifically bmw 1200gs, or should I be looking to skip mainland china and get from Hong Kong?

Anyway, nice to be here, hope to get some positive feedback.
    Cheers, Adam

2. #2 Re: Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    welcome Springbuck I assume you are from south Africa. "a bit tricky" might be an understatement as far as getting a licence is concerned but it can be done and you are correct having your own licence will help. There is a thread specifically about this here somewhere. Any kind of beemer is available new if you have the cash...Secondhand ones you should be very wary.

3. #3 Re: Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...rcycle-License and there it is and before any spelling police get on my case........The verb license or grant license means to give permission. The noun license (American English) or licence (British English,[1] Indian English,[2] Canadian English,[3] Australian English,[4] New Zealand English,[5] South African English[6]) refers to that permission as well as to the document recording that permission. hahah

4. #4 Re: Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Zhu, thanks for the useful feedback and link. Yep, I'm a saffa.

Seems it is possible re obtaining the license. I'm gonna look into I a bit further and see exactly where to go and who to speak to.

I imagined that there wouldn't be much second hand stock of bm's, and agree new is better in China for peace of mind.

I think the most difficult part is gonna be the registration of the bike which will have to be against my china address, which I guess eliminates the option to buy in Hong Kong.

Thanks again.

boet, you can get your license through an agent, and HK bikes are not allowed on the mainland, try get your bike registered outside of Shanghai, they have some seriously high prices for license plates there..

6. #6 Re: Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    Anyone got any advice as to where in China it would be best to get the licensing etc sorted?, and more importantly, are there dealers here that sell legit bikes? Specifically bmw 1200gs, or should I be looking to skip mainland china and get from Hong Kong?

Hi Springbuck

Here are pictures of 3 BMW F800 GS for sale in Weihai, Shandong all bikes are new and are legal

2x was priced at 175K rmb and the one with the top and side boxs with ABS was 185K

wehai trip 003.jpg

wehai trip 001.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbuck View Post
    Hi All,

Been here for 3 years and never knew there was such an active biking community. Nice to see!!!

Anyway, I'm looking to take some time off and do a trip from shanghai down to Bali and hopefully across to Oz down to Perth.
    Welcome aboard the MCM gravy train... all craZies in 'ere... ok, I write for myself then.

It is possible to cross some of the southern borders into neighbouring countries. I've some friends (locals) based in Guanxi, that are part of a 4x4 club, who make excursions into several of the South East Asian countries that border PRC several times per year. Apparently some of the SEA countries are easier than others to get into and return from, and have a well worn "route" and are more comfortable with fewer bureaucratic hindrances - meaning paperwork is easier.

I've done a bit of research, and it seems a bit tricky to get the bike registration and licensing sorted out. I do have my license from back home so I believe this does help? I am only planning on leaving early next year, but would like to get it sorted out properly well in advance.
    Not really, but this depends on your situation and status here. Having a m/c endorsement on your driving license will be a great help. You can find good info on MCM by searching for licence/license threads. Some of them describe the process really well. Start in the Ride Prep and Making Tracks section. If you have a employment/temporary residence visa then that also makes things much easier for you. You need to make sure you have your temporary residence registration (paper document that you get from registering with the local PSB).

The licensing is best completed in the city you are registered in, though there can be some caveats to this, if the city has any motorcycle ban in place, then getting yourself a m/c license or a bike plated can be an issue. There are plenty of dealers that sell legal bikes, though there are those that sell illegal bikes too. For Bemmers go here BMW Shanghai. Best prepare yourself for sticker shock though, since most imported legal bikes from abroad are in the vicinity of two to three times the MSRP in most other developed countries. I use USA MSRP as a comparison, since NZ and OZ prices are also higher than others. A BMW R1200GS will set you back close to 260-300K.

Anyway, nice to be here, hope to get some positive feedback.
    Cheers, Adam
    Trip is definitely doable, but you may need also to consider what each country requires in terms of Carnet for temporary import of vehicles etc.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-07-2013 at 01:11 AM.

8. #8 Re: Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Guys,

Thanks for all the info, really helpful once again. Can't believe those local prices though, man that's expensive.

Gonna have to do some more research and number crunching. Trying to review each country individually at the moment and then do a comparison and paint an overall picture.

Ill let you guys know how I get on.

9. #9 Re: Greetings from Shanghai - Seeking advice. 
    My inflation adjusted 2 cents worth. Buy a Chinese workhorse x5 ck650 Benelli 600 or whatever spins your wheels. Ride it through asia and if you really want then ship it to Oz and trade it on a beemer where you have reasonable roads and 1st world driving habits and you only have to worry about getting cleaned up by a roo. You will need to pay duty on your Chinese bike if you sell it there but still going to come out ahead compared to paying the tax here.