Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Is there an off-road dirk biking community in Shanghai? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Have been in Cairo for 6 years & looking to move to Shanghai.

Have had a KTM690E while here & ride around the Pyramids & Western Desert most weekends with Expats & Egyptians (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xhr5YP8DZs), nearly all on KTM. Occasionally do longer, assisted safaris, although never made the Pharaoh's Rally.

I'm keen to keep riding on the weekends as it keeps me fit & is my Golf substitute, but need to decide whether to ship the bike (...could possible also use as a Supermoto as have 2 sets of wheels) or sell it before leaving. All advice welcome.....

2. #2 Re: Is there an off-road dirk biking community in Shanghai? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Have been in Cairo for 6 years & looking to move to Shanghai.

Have had a KTM690E while here & ride around the Pyramids & Western Desert most weekends with Expats & Egyptians (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xhr5YP8DZs), nearly all on KTM. Occasionally do longer, assisted safaris, although never made the Pharaoh's Rally.

I'm keen to keep riding on the weekends as it keeps me fit & is my Golf substitute, but need to decide whether to ship the bike (...could possible also use as a Supermoto as have 2 sets of wheels) or sell it before leaving. All advice welcome.....

Hi Jono and welcome to MCM

I have not heard of 1 MCM member who has imported a private bike into China i think many members have looked at doing such a import which you are legally entitled to do but have found the paper work to much of a headache so my advise would be to sell or keep your bikes safe in Egypt and think about a new one in China.

And then your next headache will be to get a legal Chinese DL
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Is there an off-road dirk biking community in Shanghai? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi Jono, welcome aboard the craZy MCM bus. Search for my importation thread to get some insight into what it takes to import a bike into PRC.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-into-PR-China
    There are other threads on the subject too.
    I can tell you, that you are in for a bit of a shock. Aside from all the bureaucracy involved, such as you have to prove legal ownership from new as no used/second hand motorcycles allowed into PRC (legally). So since your KTM is obviously used, you will need to produce clear title that documents you having owned your KTM since new.

If you are granted permission via Shanghai Customs, then expect to pay approx 100% of the NEW MSRP as PRC Customs determine it, not the NEW MSRP/amount as you may have paid for it, although Customs MIGHT take that into consideration when they work out the duties etc. Prices for calculating duties and applicable taxes are not transparent, and are often based on what PRC customs decide something is worth, not necessarily what any invoice supplied might show. The approval process can be difficult to navigate and be time consuming.

4. #4 Re: Is there an off-road dirk biking community in Shanghai? 
    Last time I went Dirk biking I managed to avoid getting dirk all over me, but some of my friends weren't as lucky... also their dirk bikes didn't work very well

5. #5 Re: Is there an off-road dirk biking community in Shanghai? 
    you gotta be careful not to get stabbed in the quoit when dirk biking