Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Beijing's International Fun Week (Cancelled) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    ** Cancelled ** (reference post 16)

The first World's Motorcycle Event will be held on October 20, 2013 in Fangshan District, Beijing (Western mountains of Beijing).

The press release indicates that there will be a 210 km ride on G108 (nice road), culminating in an evening of entertainment.

I am not sure what else happens during the "week" (only October 20 is mentioned).

This could be an interesting event, given the continuing crackdown in Beijing (case in point, the 110 HD anniversary being busted), and the fact that the planned route crosses the Hebei border (where there is sometimes a manned checkpoint).

I've been to a couple of Chinese "motorcycle events" and they are definitely more interesting (and certainly better attended) than the two Foreigner "motorcycle events" I have seen "organized". Plus, as this is the First World Event (I guess they have not heard of any other events outside China), it might be worth attending.

Here is one motorfans post/discussion ... clickie here.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 10-12-2013 at 07:19 AM.

2. #2 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Thank you for posting about the event i have sent the link to our club boss and will see if the Longkou moto club will be attending the event, we was supposed to attend a event this weekend in Changping just north of Beijing but the club canceled the ride due to police presence at bike events and as most of the bikes are illegal accept my bike the club members do not want to take the risk i keep telling them to get legal bike lol
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Here is some more information, over on WFT ...

Directory of postings

To register for the 210 km ride, you need to:

1) submit copies of your Driving License & legal bike registration;
    2) sign a completed application form, which includes agreeing to obey the organizers;
    3) be under 35 years old;
    4) have at least 5 years riding experience;
    5) must purchase insurance at a cost of 60 rmb/day; and,
    6) three days before the event, attend a training course on distance and safety.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the expired-As and the Su H crowd will show up, anyways. Probably a few old farts, too. I wonder how these interesting requirements can be enforced on the G108? For example, if I (an old fart) just happen to do a G108 ride on that day (as I've done many times before), I wonder what will happen? Will there be a checkpoint at the start?

As this is a government-sanctioned/sponsored event, I'm also going to guess that the police will have a plan.

Interesting "Fun Week".

4. #4 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post

Directory of postings

2) sign a completed application form, which includes agreeing to obey the organizers;
    6) three days before the event, attend a training course on distance and safety.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the expired-As and the Su H crowd will show up, anyways. Probably a few old farts, too. I wonder how these interesting requirements can be enforced on the G108? For example, if I (an old fart) just happen to do a G108 ride on that day (as I've done many times before), I wonder what will happen? Will there be a checkpoint at the start?

As this is a government-sanctioned/sponsored event, I'm also going to guess that the police will have a plan.

Interesting "Fun Week".

Ok i give it a miss now lol i am 36 yeras old as you say some fun week......
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post

Directory of postings

Interesting "Fun Week".
    Training course? AKA pay some bloke who can't barely ride himself some money.
    Under 35? For what reason should being over 35 exclude anyone?
    Extra insurance? But it's a public road, you already have valid insurance if you are legal already.
    What BS.

I'd never go anyhow, because it would be a bunch of tossers on a thinly veiled 'guanxi gaining exercise' with matching hi-hiz shirts wobbling around corners and gunning it down every straight, but the list of red-tape horse-shit is beyond crap.

6. #6 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Training course? AKA pay some bloke who can't barely ride himself some money.
    Under 35? For what reason should being over 35 exclude anyone?
    Extra insurance? But it's a public road, you already have valid insurance if you are legal already.
    What BS.
    Touché
    Just look at the driving school instructors, former PLA drivers etc., is there any question as to just how incompetent the majority of the locals are with driving and road etiquette...

7. #7 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    with matching hi-hiz shirts

What is wrong with Hi-Vis shirts heheheh

8. #8 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    I went on ONE of these rides ONCE. About 3000 of us paraded through town under the watchful eye of the po po and local gvmnt. Got to the big city square around 4:00 PM for a giant group photo/circle jerk, they then surrounded the whole square with barricades and told us to get on busses where we would be taken to a big hotel for dinner and other BS. No bikes were let out of the city square until 9:00 AM the next day. Pretty smart and sneaky way to keep all those bikes off the streets for the night.

Under 35 only? WTF

Cheers!

9. #9 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Oh, and another thing they have 'World's' and 'International' event in the title. Turn up with an overseas licence and you'll be turned away for not having a Chinese DL.

Just go find a mountain road on your own then ride it, it will be more fun 100% guaranteed.

10. #10 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    ...Just go find a mountain road on your own then ride it, it will be more fun 100% guaranteed.
    Yep, almost a daily occurrence for me here round these parts, except for the past several days with the Typhoon... not the best of days for riding, so time to dust of the bonnet of the car... and Swift-ly mix things up a bit...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast