Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I'd never go anyhow, because it would be a bunch of tossers on a thinly veiled 'guanxi gaining exercise' with matching hi-hiz shirts wobbling around corners and gunning it down every straight, but the list of red-tape horse-shit is beyond crap.
    haha - seriously, you should participate in one of these events for the "full China experience." Some of my most memorable (entertaining) rides have been with the local HOG boys. On one seven-hour "ride", we covered about 60 kms, in total, with numerous lengthy stops for meals, coffee, pics, shopping, smoke breaks etc. Most riders were covered from head to toe in genuine HD leather, boots, chains, studs, pins, patches, necklaces, watches, etc (one pillion female even had a HD purse and a little poodle with a HD warmer) ... they definitely looked the "bad ass" part ... but the riders always also wore a Hi Viz vest while actually riding (which, frankly, I think is a good idea). The most important part of the ride was ensuring the bikes were lined up properly during each stop - it usually took us a good 20 minutes to get it right, orchestrated by the Road Captain (I think he felt that was his most important job). And then at least another 20 minutes for pics.

At the other extreme are the "rides" where mileage is the measurement of "success" - ride fast, ride far, never stop, pee in your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I Pretty smart and sneaky way to keep all those bikes off the streets for the night.
    I bet the city mayor drove a black Range Rover. (ok, ok ... tasteless joke, my bad)

------------

I may show up for this thing, as long as there isn't a road block ... if they check my DL and see that I am over 35, I might get administrative detention in a Chinese old-folks home (I have a hunch that prison might be better).

2. #12 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    if they check my DL and see that I am over 35, I might get administrative detention in a Chinese old-folks home (I have a hunch that prison might be better).
    If they pull you up for being too old ask for what reason over 35 is too old.

3. #13 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    If they pull you up for being too old ask for what reason over 35 is too old.
    What kind of explanation do you expect, do you really want to know? If you look too deep in the abyss, the abyss looks back (or something like that).

Weird china event... entertaining or waste of time?

4. #14 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I would like to see the Chinese Official definition of "fun". Something like filling out a form in carbon triplicate, before penetrating your eyeball with a dull pencil...

5. #15 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittrup Sport View Post
    I would like to see the Chinese Official definition of "fun". Something like filling out a form in carbon triplicate, before penetrating your eyeball with a dull pencil...
    Hahaha. I've been wondering about the "week" of fun. The only thing I can come up with is that the registration cut-off date is October 13, the training course is Oct 16 or 17, and the "big ride" is October 20. Perhaps the "fun" is the exciting anticipation, post registration approval, for an entire week?

Over on the Chinese boards, it appears that there are only a few registrations, so far.

6. #16 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    "Week of Fun" event cancelled (well, technically postponed until next year).

The official reason is that, in the organizers' opinion, the weather will be too cold (there is a large cold front forecast to be moving into Beijing in a few days). The cold weather could result in somewhat dangerous conditions, according to the advice of a few racing-riders-associations. Further, the selected route has high mountain passes (yes, it does) that will exacerbate the "coldness."

I was a little surprised by the list of sponsors: BMW, MV Augusta, Victory, Bombardier, various large dealers (including Qili and TP China), Beijing TV, Motorcycle magazine, several other media outlets, various levels of government in both Beijing and Hebei, several motorcycle clubs, and many others. It seems this was going to be an attempt at the real deal. Good for them - it is needed.

Here is the public announcement:

http://www.weifengtang.com/bbs/forum...extra=page%3D1

7. #17 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    "Week of Fun" event cancelled (well, technically postponed until next year).

The official reason is that, in the organizers' opinion, the weather will be too cold (there is a large cold front forecast to be moving into Beijing in a few days). The cold weather could result in somewhat dangerous conditions, according to the advice of a few racing-riders-associations. Further, the selected route has high mountain passes (yes, it does) that will exacerbate the "coldness."

I was a little surprised by the list of sponsors: BMW, MV Augusta, Victory, Bombardier, various large dealers (including Qili and TP China), Beijing TV, Motorcycle magazine, several other media outlets, various levels of government in both Beijing and Hebei, several motorcycle clubs, and many others. It seems this was going to be an attempt at the real deal. Good for them - it is needed.

Here is the public announcement:

http://www.weifengtang.com/bbs/forum...extra=page%3D1

But that means more people will be 1 year older not looking good
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #18 Re: Beijing's International Fun Week (October 20, 2013) 
    The rules mentioned have been the same rules for the national Harley meeting at thousand island lake this year, exept the age one. It seems, this is the way officials will treat motorbike events nowadays. Very efficient, this events will die a slow death.

C-Moto Regular
    Discussion in the Motor Vehicle Bureau of making the motorcycle license age limit of 35 coming in November...... hence the event being postponed until next year. Existing licensed drivers will be exempt... anyone licensed after that date can only ride until the age of 35 ...... Logan's Run?? .....
    :D

C-Moto Regular
    开玩笑
    Kaiwanxiao!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast