Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

View Poll Results: What aftermarket tire would you choose for CFMOTO 650NK or TR?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bridgestone Battlax BT-023

0 0%
  • Continental RoadAttack

1 10.00%
  • Dunlop Roadsmart 1 or 2

1 10.00%
  • Maxxis Maxxsport Diamond

0 0%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Z6

0 0%
  • Pirelli Angel ST

2 20.00%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3

5 50.00%
  • OEM CST radial

0 0%
  • Other

1 10.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    The difference in sizes is do to the starting point the manufacturer used, their measuring rim size, the resulting differences are in that. If everything is the same then everything would be the same and all rims have different widths. Even though they are the same size they have varying widths that affect the resulting size and the size ratio of the tires.

2. #22 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My vote goes to the Pirelli ST. I speak from experience on my Monster 696 (that also fit similar tire size). Even better, depending on availability in China (scarce, I know but, as always in China, there is a solution to every problem...), you should go for the Angel GT, which has similar performance characteristics to its predecessor Angel ST, but improved mileage by 30%. The goodness of this tire was also certified by many independent tests:

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...elGT.tab?tab=2

We need to find out the Treadwear number on the side of the tyre
    Has anyone ever seen a UTQG rating on any motorcycle tire? No? Maybe that's because it doesn't apply to motorcycle tires. One can ascertain information about tire mileage only from direct experience or experience of other users. Tire manufacturers rarely and only reluctantly state numbers for tire mileage, because it is a value that is influenced by an incredible amount of factors. ZMC you can be pretty sure that in the Sport Touring segment the GT has the best mileage in town. On my STs I was able to run for about 8000 km and that was applying frequent and thorough rotations of the right wrist

Let us know how your search/selection process goes.
    Cheers

3. #23 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    Vale, can't find any Pirelli Angels on Taobao. That means I'd have to bring some back from home, not sure that is the most cost effective solution. As 998S recommended Michelin Pilot Power CT2 seems good, just enough mileage and super sticky. Ideal for me as I'll be able to buy some in my sizes and about 2000 RMB which is similar price to back home. Seems only Bridgestone and Michelin are available in China in any quantity.

4. #24 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Michelin Pilot Power 2CT are very good tires but hardly comparable to Angel ST or GT, Pilot Road, Roadtec Z6 or Z8: all these tires belong to the "Sport Touring" segment whereas Pilot Power 2CT belong to another segment, that is commonly referred to as "Supersport" (the direct competitors would be Metzeler Sportec M5, Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2, Bridgestone Hypersport S20, Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier 2, etc.). From a Supersport tire you can expect much lower mileage (probably half of a Sport Touring), less water drainage (but enough to ensure plenty of safety in wet conditions), but on the other hand they allow much more confidence in lean and much higher levels of grip in all riding phases (braking, acceleration). Supersport tires (Diablo Rosso 2) are always my choice when I am back home in Italy because they suit my riding habits: I am very aggressive on twisty mountain roads but I also use my bike for short 2-3 days trips (they would even allow for some light racetrack usage). In China I'd probably go for a Sport Touring tire, since I would never be in search of that high lean angle and I would need a solid tire to carry me around for longer distances. It really all boils down to how you use your bike.

If you're interested in trying some Italian rubber for your China-made bike, please PM me and I can maybe point you in the right direction.

Cheers

5. #25 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    Quote Originally Posted by vale46 View Post
    Michelin Pilot Power 2CT are very good tires but hardly comparable to Angel ST or GT, Pilot Road, Roadtec Z6 or Z8: all these tires belong to the "Sport Touring" segment whereas Pilot Power 2CT belong to another segment, that is commonly referred to as "Supersport" (the direct competitors would be Metzeler Sportec M5, Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2, Bridgestone Hypersport S20, Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier 2, etc.). From a Supersport tire you can expect much lower mileage (probably half of a Sport Touring), less water drainage (but enough to ensure plenty of safety in wet conditions), but on the other hand they allow much more confidence in lean and much higher levels of grip in all riding phases (braking, acceleration). Supersport tires (Diablo Rosso 2) are always my choice when I am back home in Italy because they suit my riding habits: I am very aggressive on twisty mountain roads but I also use my bike for short 2-3 days trips (they would even allow for some light racetrack usage). In China I'd probably go for a Sport Touring tire, since I would never be in search of that high lean angle and I would need a solid tire to carry me around for longer distances. It really all boils down to how you use your bike.

If you're interested in trying some Italian rubber for your China-made bike, please PM me and I can maybe point you in the right direction.

Cheers
    Thanks for the advice. Obviously I realize that the 2CT is a more sports orientated tire. And yes my original list was all sport touring based. Yet I'm still considering the 2CT because:

-It is dual compound.
    -I rarely ride in the wet anyway.
    -The reviews are excellent.
    -My lower powered bike won't burn through them as quick as a 100hp plus machine 8-10,000kms seems plausible.
    -They are easily available.
    -They aren't that expensive (comparatively).

Anyhow I'll get the 2CT, IF I feel the mileage is poor, I'll switch to a more sports-touring orientated tire next time. I just feel I've gotta try a sports tire after years of painful riding on small bikes with rock-hard economy tires.

6. #26 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    You guys know there are Pilot Powers, and Pilot Roads, right?
    Pilot Powers surely a Supersport tire, the Pilot Roads (as also mentioned in the poll) more road touring biased.

From my expeirence, I predict you can't go wrong with Plilot Powers on your medium powered bike, they should last forever (probably cut short by that always present nail), and it gives all advantages of a bit softer tire.

That said, I see and hear alot of good reviews on the Pilot Road 3, and see a lot of Benelli riders change to them.
    I guess for daily road riding in China, there is probalby not that much difference if fitted on a NK style bike.

7. #27 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    Pilot Power 2CT, yes I'll get those. Michelin say it's 95% road and 5% track tire, suits me, I like mountain twisties for a day out. I won't get the regular pilot power as they seem not to be dual compound and will square off too quick. If no Pilot Power the Pilot Road 2 or 3.

I've been riding for over 20 years, but haven't ever ridden anything much other than sport-touring tires over ten years ago and a bunch of Cheng-Shin, Sakura, Kenda and Duro in China for years. Keen to see what a 5 star rated modern tire can do, I want the Pilot Power as a benchmark tire.

8. #28 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Keen to see what a 5 star rated modern tire can do, I want the Pilot Power as a benchmark tire.
    The first and most important difference would be safety, and that's really something you should not skimp on. This is an image that made me realize a lot about advanced technology tires and how safe/performing they can be.

Z8 M-O Bagnato.jpg
    This is a tester using Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact M/O, on a flooded racetrack. Of course he is in a controlled environment, with perfect asphalt etc. but still, makes you realize how far you can go before reaching the real limit/how much room for correction there is in unforeseen circumstances.

If i may, ZMC888, I would be curious to know more about the OE tires for your CF moto. What is the model, exact size, and could you maybe do a brief description of their qualities: mileage, wet grip, dry grip, overall sensations and impressions? I think that could be of interest not only to me!

By the way, a Supersport tire is also my personal benchmark ar far as on road riding is concerned.

Cheers

9. #29 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    I would go with Bridgestones, have them fitted to a ER-6F good life and good enough grip for a non sportsbike and they take allot of miles before even starting to square off.

Kennon

10. #30 Re: Which tires for CFMOTO 650NK/TR? 
    Quote Originally Posted by vale46 View Post
    If i may, ZMC888, I would be curious to know more about the OE tires for your CF moto. What is the model, exact size, and could you maybe do a brief description of their qualities: mileage, wet grip, dry grip, overall sensations and impressions? I think that could be of interest not only to me!
    Cheers
    Hehe. OK then.
    Review of OEM Chengshin 'radial'.

120/70 R 17 M/C 58H Max load at 40psi
    160/60 R 17 M/C 69H Max load at 40psi

Kilometers so far, 2,800. Seems as though they are possibly half worn, rear is getting visually squared a bit so maybe total mileage will be 7,000 kilometers or so. They seem to be a dual compound Nylon/Kevlar lower grade version of the Maxxis Diamond, obviously without the diamond pattern around the edge, but a similar tread pattern and profile. They squirm under heavy acceleration and lose composure on dirty roads a bit and seems like the rear can spin up. Never seen them before CFMOTO. They are honestly OK. I could go back to them, but I need a benchmark 5 star tire to really know how good they are. At the moment I would guess they are a three star sport-touring tire. Never tired them in serious wet and never on a track or a secure riding area.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast