Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: sixth gear kit?

1. #1 sixth gear kit? 
    Porcupine hills, Southern Alberta, Canada
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&id=9576478120. Been spying these forums for a while and Have the canadian version of the qinqi 200 A Konker sm200. IT has been fun,but would like to go a little further with it this winter. Does anyone know if this kit will work in the k166fml engine?

2. #2 Re: sixth gear kit? 
    Quote Originally Posted by countrymoto View Post
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&id=9576478120. Been spying these forums for a while and Have the canadian version of the qinqi 200 A Konker sm200. IT has been fun,but would like to go a little further with it this winter. Does anyone know if this kit will work in the k166fml engine?
    Have you thought about reducing the teeth on your rear sprocket (or upping a tooth or two on the front sprocket)? That works just as well and is cheaper

3. #3 Re: sixth gear kit? 
    I have done all that. Converted to 520 chain. Running Aluminum rear sprocket PBI aftermarket. to fit dr 200. I found the best gearing to be 13/37 For my application. I am running 13/80/17 Kenda tt/tl tires so that makes the gearing a tad taller as well. I have replaced the cam with a stage one hotcam for a ltz250 suzuki/ stage 2 for a drz125. I am going even more extreme as I am awaiting a megacycle cam for a 230 atv suzuki. The numbers are much more extreme and I need it as I am running a little rich. I am using a old xl 250 carb. A Keihin 31mm Cable controlled slide. Modified some piston rings to fit so I could get a better seal to the cylinder wall. I have had her pegged at 140kph on flat ground with no wind with 14/36 taller gearing. But she is hard to keep wound up there so I came back down to the 13/37. Going to order the four curve CDI as well http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9153717120. And Denso iridium x24 spark plug. I found that the dr8ea was way more restrictive in compared to a non resistor d8ea. ported some of the exhaust and intake ports. Ground the welding glob that was in the inside of the headerpipe and fitted a 3" supertrapp. Even under extreme load IE: wind and hills I can keep her above the highest posted hiway speeds here which is 110kph. For a bike that I had a hard time getting over 90kph when I got her she has surpised me.

4. #4 Re: sixth gear kit? 
    Quote Originally Posted by countrymoto View Post
    I have done all that. Converted to 520 chain. Running Aluminum rear sprocket PBI aftermarket. to fit dr 200. I found the best gearing to be 13/37 For my application. I am running 13/80/17 Kenda tt/tl tires so that makes the gearing a tad taller as well. I have replaced the cam with a stage one hotcam for a ltz250 suzuki/ stage 2 for a drz125. I am going even more extreme as I am awaiting a megacycle cam for a 230 atv suzuki. The numbers are much more extreme and I need it as I am running a little rich. I am using a old xl 250 carb. A Keihin 31mm Cable controlled slide. Modified some piston rings to fit so I could get a better seal to the cylinder wall. I have had her pegged at 140kph on flat ground with no wind with 14/36 taller gearing. But she is hard to keep wound up there so I came back down to the 13/37. Going to order the four curve CDI as well http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9153717120. And Denso iridium x24 spark plug. I found that the dr8ea was way more restrictive in compared to a non resistor d8ea. ported some of the exhaust and intake ports. Ground the welding glob that was in the inside of the headerpipe and fitted a 3" supertrapp. Even under extreme load IE: wind and hills I can keep her above the highest posted hiway speeds here which is 110kph. For a bike that I had a hard time getting over 90kph when I got her she has surpised me.
    With the amount of time and money you've spent on that engine... wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy another engine??
    Anyway, in my experience, the 6th gear is useless, two of my project bikes have had similar engines with 6 gears... and the engine just isn't strong enough to get the revs up in the 6th gear, if I make the gearing taller then I can get the revs up but the speed is the same as the 5 gears with a smaller rear sprocket... don't let me discourage you, I think the best way is for you to try yourself and see if it works or not, if you get a better result, post it here and prove me wrong damnit! ;)

5. #5 Re: sixth gear kit? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentza View Post
    With the amount of time and money you've spent on that engine... wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy another engine??
    Anyway, in my experience, the 6th gear is useless, two of my project bikes have had similar engines with 6 gears... and the engine just isn't strong enough to get the revs up in the 6th gear, if I make the gearing taller then I can get the revs up but the speed is the same as the 5 gears with a smaller rear sprocket... don't let me discourage you, I think the best way is for you to try yourself and see if it works or not, if you get a better result, post it here and prove me wrong damnit! ;)
    Hey, great. Thanks for the banter it is making me think. Thing is I am trying to sell the bike... Everything is for sale for the rite price. It has got low km's on it and looks good.. I guess. I live in the country (like the name suggests) so the street tires had to go anyway, 4km on gravel to the nearest paved road. The cam I bought only ran me $140 us. I had the carb.. came with a bike I grabbed off a guy for parts. And the chain I have plenty of. Raced for a dozen seasons in cross country and hare scrambles.. self sponsored. So I am a wee bit of a motorcycle infected/junkie as it goes. One of the bikes I was actually fastest on was YZ 125.. 6 speed. Your post makes sense though. It is a four stroke and benefits actually from having a taller gearing per gear and the sixth speed would require a lower final drive giving each gear a shorter run. hhhmmm .. hard to say. Don't want to prove anything.. Just wanted to know if anyone knew if it would fit.