Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 New to this site 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all, I'm new to this site and have a question:
    I cycle 12 mile a day to work and as the winter sets in I have my eye on a 125
    Does anybody know anything about the ajs jsm125? Because they look a lot nicer then the pulse adrenaline and I'm In two minds on which 1 to get
    Kind regards Dean :)

2. #2 Re: New to this site 
    Jsm125: powered by YBR clone vs pulse adrenaline powered by Suzi clone.

That Suzi clone don't had kick starter , when u're lucky "push start" it ...
    AJS often overpriced their product...
    ---
    If i were u: NEW YBR clone http://www.learnerlegal.com/125cc-co...prod_1137.html + fork gaiters
    OR used "jap" bike that within budget

3. #3 Re: New to this site 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I'd second the last comment from Humanbeing... a near new used/second hand Japanese bike for these reasons... reliable + availability of spares more likely + more aftermarket options + most mechanics can/want/willing to do some wrenching on the Jap bike (Chinese clone, not so much) + better resale + Japanese supply chain more reliable and likely to still be around when needed... plus other reasons too.

4. #4 Re: New to this site 
    Welcome to MCM Deano-b!!!

Now, u seem to need a heads up about Chinese bikes so I'll tell u about the Chinese 250cc bike I bought (new) and rode over 25000 kms in 2 years and a half, so about 18miles/day.

It still works, but I had to change tank, speedo, clutch, gearbox, engine, a million other things, lost more or less critical parts, while driving, and spent countless weekends wrenching the hell out of the thing so it would be in working condition, most electrics don't work since forever and after fixing them like 10 times, I disconnected it all and just ride without, I only have speedometer and headlight working..

Moreover; parts are getting much more expensive (still cheap though), but take a long time to arrive (while im in China near the factory) and aren't always perfect fit cause they now only have parts for the new model which forced me a few times to "operate" the bike with power tools so it would fit, somehow...

She's got no kick either, and when push starting didn't work, I had to push its 170kg for kilometers, call a taxi truck or a friend with his scoot and some rope, and one day I was push starting it, she started in a burst & the foot peg went though my leg piercing a hole 2 inches wide in my calf. One of those days on a Chinese bike..

Don't buy a Chinese bike, my personal opinion is that u'll regret it.

Get a Japanese 2nd hand that isn't too old or that hasn't too much mileage, like they said above, there are countless perks, maybe for the same price.

Plus it's ur first bike, treat urself with some Japanese engineering!

Peace
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

5. #5 Re: New to this site 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the advice guys the only reason I was looking at these is because my local dealer if offering 2yrs warranty which I wouldn't get with a 2nd hand bike
    Cheers :)

6. #6 Re: New to this site 
    It is going to depend on which factory OEMd your bike. The established brands in the UK seem to have sorted out OEMs and have some decent bikes out there. Sinnis, Lexmoto, Pulse are three that I have read about for a few years now, thanks to MCM, which tells me, in the realm of Chinese bikes, they are up there in quality (2 disclaimers-I don't live in the UK, nor ride one of the UK brands, and more so-keeping in mind the Chinese part). The enduro and motard produced by Qingqi/Pioneer and sold under Pulse, Lexmoto, and Sinnis (are essentially the same bike) have a good quality, and have held up over the years. I think the Pulse is called the 'Adrenaline' the Sinnis 'Apache' and the Lexmoto, I don't know, as well as more recently, Pioneer is selling the same bike under their own name on the UK ebay is the bike.

The only caveat I can think of for Japanese bikes is how well the prior owner(s) treated them. While they are usually okay, occasionally you will hear about one that was dumped on an unsuspecting buyer needing major engine repairs/replacements, and not cheap (I had three friends and coworkers in this situation).

7. #7 Re: New to this site 
    Welcome t o the forum .

I personally think a 10 year old Jap bike is a better bet than a brand new Chinese bike. For local trips I have a 1992 Honda CG125, god know how many times it has been round the clock but it fires up every time first or second kick. My only maintenance cost in the last 12 months has been oil changes and a new spark plug, a lot less than a new Chinese bike.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy