Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 help with cfmoto v3 overheating... 
    Hello guys and gals need some help. It's an 05 v3 250 that sat for a couple of years and only has 209km on the odo. I had replaced the water pump impeller, seals, temp sensor above thermostat housing, idle screw, and automatic choke. She runs fine until like 15-20 min then starts to reach the red on the gauge. The fan turns on when the temp gauge reaches half way. She also starts to sputter a little more than usual and she will die if not enough gas is applied... Any thoughts ? Thanks for the info!!!!

2. #2 Re: help with cfmoto v3 overheating... 
    the thermostat has glued itself shut

3. #3 Re: help with cfmoto v3 overheating... 
    Hello Zhu...thanks for the reply... I forgot to mention that the thermostat was previously removed from the bike because it was like that... It overheated a couple of times before I got around to fix everything since my wife was pregnant and couldn't ride until the baby was out... I have a feeling the maybe the head or cylinder may have a hairline crack somewhere and is causing this issue, but she's not mixing water with oil nor lossing water... Kind of odd b/c she has those simptoms... I had removed the head to check for any signs of clogged water passages but everything looked to be ok and even I went ahead and blew through the hoses, at both ends to check for any type of restriction in the lines but I found none... The water is a brownish color though and maybe she's just a little clogged up? That's why she takes a while to get some temp, but then she cools.down quick after we shut her down?... Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks!!!!:-)

4. #4 Re: help with cfmoto v3 overheating... 
    Never a good idea to remove the thermostat as the coolant runs around the circuit faster and has less time to transfer heat via the radiator. I would refit a new stat , ditch the old rusty coolant/water and replace it with some nice fresh glycol. Sadly if it has overheated a few times it may well have blown a head gasket or worse but this will usually result in loss of fluid or oil water mix as you have said.

5. #5 Re: help with cfmoto v3 overheating... 
    afterthought : if it has been run with water not coolant then sat for some time the radiator itself may be clogged up with rusty corrosion type substance. Check this by running a hose through it , out flow should be err well just like inflow... any automotive radiator shop will be able to clean it for you (not sure where you are) some sort of caustic used carefully should clear it out.

6. #6 Re: help with cfmoto v3 overheating... 
    Hello Zhu...I bought a flush for the cooling system and I'm letting it sit until Sunday, per the instructions. I noticed that after she cooled down and I open up the cap she has some pressure built up in the system and ends up spitting some water out, and the water is cool too... Anyhow, will leave the product in the system and dride it normally per the instrucctions and then run a hose through the whole system to see if theclog comes out. She does have that rusty looking water from having sat for a while too... I hope that does the trick b/c she runs fine to and from work w/o any temperature issues... Thanks for the replies and if anything else comes to mind please let me know buddy... Thanks:-)