Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    Hi people.

Anybody been to Chongqing CIMA before and have a hotel to recommend near the centre without any cockroaches ?

2. #2 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    Can't remember where I stayed in 2010, but it was one of the hotels recommended by the event organizers, no cockroaches, but took about 10-15 minutes by taxi to reach the expo. Enjoy the show and please take a lot of pictures for us.

Cheers!

3. #3 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    Against my better judgement I had decided to ask my wife to join me at CIMA. We hadn't been anywhere in a year together and I thought it might be good to get away for a few days. Even so, bringing my wife to a motorcycle show was risky business. After all, as anyone knows, no one in China likes motorcycles. No one in China rides motorcycles. Motorcycles are very dangerous (but flying helicopters in Afghanistan is not). You will never be able to sell a motorcycle in China. And last but not least I have no resident visa and therefore no license.

Usually I can book a flight around the world in :30 on Expedia but when she gets involved she takes over and the flight booking process lasted 8 hours and included the guy upstairs. I had the hotels all scoped out, had read the reviews on booking.com and checked locations. I had the best deals until she sat down and pulled out a discount hotel card. As it turned out when we got to the hotel the window view was no good and we needed to change hotels the next day.

Now what do you think the chances are of having two international trade exhibition centers in the same town? Apparently in a city of 10,000,000, they are pretty good. Our hotel was a :15 walk to the centre but when we showed up all we saw was housing signs. There was a home show on. 1:30 later on the subways we show up outside the city at the correct place.

Chongqing has 4 modern subways and they are jammed full of people all day long. We met two guys on their way to the show and stuck with them all the way. Upon reaching the show we got in free for pre-registering but the other two had to pay. Inside, the noise was crazy. Every booth had a stereo turned up to max trying to outdo the booth next to them. This was the worst thing about the show. I blame the organizers for allowing it. I had come to ask a lot of technical questions but it was impossible. It would be like asking technical questions at a rock concert.

Another strange thing was that Shineray was not in appearance. They are from that town and they don't appear at the show? I am convinced that the company doesn't exist. I have never seen a Shineray motorcycle. I don't know anyone who has ever seen a Shineray motorcycle. They have never answered any email I ever sent them. I think the pictures we have seen on the Internet are either cardboard cut-outs or life size silicon models. Its likely a stock market scam to drive the prices up and then sell before people find out they don't exist.

The most interesting bike I saw was the Zongshen RX3 250 adventure bike. As it turned my wife even entered me in an obstacle course race outside, which I was told I couldn't win because they didn't have safety gear big enough for me. The winner took home a new motorcycle. It was a chance to ride the bike anyway. Seemed like a good bike for tall riders like me. I knew there would be a good reason to bring her.

Only 5 photos allowed per post.
    Attached Images

4. #4 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    Looking good thanks for sharing. Judging by your initial impression, it doesn't sound like things have improved much since I last attended in 2010. Not being able to hear the misinformation might not be a bad thing.

If you want to send me the pictures, I can host them for you so we can see them at a decent size.

Cheers!

5. #5 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    Flying Tiger,

it seems like your misses is as complicated as the one I am currently divorcing !

Did you see anything interesting on the Jap bike stands? I was hoping that Honda was going to present the CRF250L and start to import.

I think Shineray were at the Canton Fair in GuangZhou which was well timed to be on at the same time, maybe they are more interested in exports than the Chinese market. I've called Shineray too and they don't answer the phone at all, quite strange, they are doing a good job of frightening off potential customers. Persoanlly I like the 400C X5, it would be perfect for my use but .....................
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

6. #6 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    One interesting thing about Chongqing was the town itself. We stayed the second night near old town, wherever that was (2 hours by subway to the airport) 188RMB hotel. Outside the area has been preserved in one place as it was hundreds of years ago. There are tiny streets where you can touch both walls at the same time. Lots of shops selling a lot of nothing but we were able to pick up some nice olden style wall pictures there.

One street was lined with restaurants all selling a spicy soup or else hot pot. Trouble is no one in that city has ever heard of fresh chillies and fresh garlic. They all use that same red chilli/garlic in a jar with a ton of oil mixed in. I always heard Sichuan food was good but not in that town. DSC01580.jpgDSC01581.jpgDSC01582.jpgDSC01583.jpgDSC01584.jpg

7. #7 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    If you will be in Chongqing you need to allow a partial day to visit to prison. This is an important part of Chinese history and worth a look. This was a secret prison which began as a villa and was taken over by Chang Kai Shek's troops for detaining and interrogating Mao spies. It was very high up in a cirq in the jungly mountains which made it easy to defend if it was ever found. The current flag was created inside the prison. They didn't know where to put the stars. A few days before Chongqing fell, the troops tried to kill all the prisons and destroy the evidence. Only a few escaped. While building one prison wall they had deliberately used grass, mud, and sticks to make one area of the wall weak.

You can see the dungeons and torture areas. Its actually a beautiful spot. The sharks will try to enlist you downtown to take you there for 230 RMB for two people. The taxi cost us 4 RMB and the entrance was free.
    Attached Images

8. #8 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    I wasn't looking at Jap bikes, being a good Chinese, but there was one Repsol Honda there that looked like it could do the deed. Also a CBR. China V will post bigger pics. An interesting one was a REPSOL look-alike Jiajue for $1900. 250cc. Didn't see anything in the way of Jap off-road bikes of any size.

The JH600 with side-car was there and looked like it belonged on the Russian front for the winter offensive. The designer must not have a right ankle as that is right where the rod attaches from the side-car. It says right in the manual that you can hook a plow up to this bike and plow your fields if you need to. It is monstrous. The front tire looks like it came off a Ford F-150.

One weird bike had a place inside the gas tank for your helmet. Another looked like a silver space vehicle. You can make it a quad, a snow machine, or a boat with a propeller, by changing attachments. Not very good at any one thing.

I wanted to look for a Sportster and the only rep was Chongqing Harley who had their booth roped off and un-opened. Very disappointing.

It seemed if a company didn't have good bikes at least they had good girls, scantily clad, which was just as good. See the Sanya booth pics.
    Attached Images

9. #9 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    C-Moto Regular
    DSC_0092.jpgDSC_0151.jpg
    I agree that CIMA was super loud! The Jiajue pictured above seems to draw inspiration from KTM. I stayed at the Liyuan Hotel in Shapingba. It was close to the Metro and had lots of shops and nightlife close by. It was about an hour from the New Expo center.

10. #10 Re: CIMA 2013 Chongqing 
    Do you have some more images of the orange bike? Ones were we can see the name of the company re-branding that KTM, as most at this point would think it to be CFMOTO and not Jiajue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast