Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Everyone

Originally from Kenya East Africa, having had scramblers in the past, i'd like to get back onto a motorbike somehow. I've also got a few friends who are interested in kitting up and getting on the road here as well, so I'm sort of paving the way for them too. As for a bike, I'm thinking about a CQR 250cc or similar to make the most of my weekends and holidays and start enjoying and exploring China again..

I've been living in China a few years now, and did a bike trip from Yangshou/Guilin to Laos and back to Kunming about 3 years ago with a few people.. Bought a cheap taxi style 125cc bike for 3000rmb and lasted the 2 week trip, ended up in Kunnming, sold the bike for 1000 and flew back to Shenzhen... The bike was Red, though when the pictures ended up on people's Shenzhenstuff profiles, it looked Pink, ha. So much for looking cool.. Anyway really enjoyed it and want to get back into biking here in China to make the most of it.

Though this time i'd like to do it legally, ie, get a C1E bike license (I think is the right one), take the test, pay insurance, register etc.. I know motorbikes are not allowed in Shenzhen so i'm wandering if anyone knows if I would have to go to another City close by to do registration and tests..? I have a work permit and visa, so no issues there.. Also leaving the bike somewhere like Dongguan wouldn't be a problem either..

2. #2 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    Hi China traveller1,

Welcome to MCM.

I am going through the motions of getting a Bike license in HuiZhou at the moment, and it seems I am getting no where. It seems that the authorities in their wisdom are not accepting applications from foreigners at the moment.

I live near Autou, just east of Shenzhen, i can find you a great place to store your bike once you have it.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

3. #3 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Symon260z

Thanks.. That would be great to have somewhere to store the bike just out of Shenzhen.

What issues are you having and who's helping you to apply for the licence, test etc in Huizhou? Did someone suggest that place and is it possible to do it somewhere else?

4. #4 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    Hi,

There are quite a few lock up storage units in the car park where I live, I have one for my stuff and bike. Cost me 200 RMB per month, about 30m2. New and clean. I am going to make a make a small workshop in part of mine so that I can do my maintenance on my current bike and a new bike I will be buying once I get a license.

I have asked the local Driving Schools and they all say that there is no way they can apply for a motorbike license as a foreigner. We telephones the Traffic dept in HuiZhou and got the same answer. I'm going to take a ride up to HuiZhou city in the next few days and visit the traffic dept to see what the facts are. I can do the license in Hainan and Hunan, I would prefer to do here as it will be so much cheaper.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

5. #5 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    I have asked the local Driving Schools and they all say that there is no way
    The first answer to anything in China is always "NO". Never ask, TELL them, I am here to get a C1E license and I'm not leaving until you prove it can't be done. Since every city in Guangdong hates motorcycles, I wouldn't be surprised if it IS impossible for ANYONE to get a C1E in Guangdong.

That said.... I will say it one more time, JIANGMEN is the largest motorcycle city in Guangdong and has a very pro motorcycle government because a HUGE volume of their tax revenue comes from the motorcycle industry. I have registered several bikes there over the years without issue. I do not know about the licensing thing because I've had a C1E since the days when Chinese people thought owning a motorcycle was acceptable and they were easy to get. I do know that a whole bunch of people got their licenses and regs done there as late as 2011

Cheers!

6. #6 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi,

There are quite a few lock up storage units in the car park where I live, I have one for my stuff and bike. Cost me 200 RMB per month, about 30m2. New and clean. I am going to make a make a small workshop in part of mine so that I can do my maintenance on my current bike and a new bike I will be buying once I get a license.

I have asked the local Driving Schools and they all say that there is no way they can apply for a motorbike license as a foreigner. We telephones the Traffic dept in HuiZhou and got the same answer. I'm going to take a ride up to HuiZhou city in the next few days and visit the traffic dept to see what the facts are. I can do the license in Hainan and Hunan, I would prefer to do here as it will be so much cheaper.

That sounds perfect to store a few bikes and for a couple hundred rmb a month.. Is it in a slightly secured compound at all? ie, some barriers to pass into the car park and a few security guards etc,, Nice idea about using it as a workshop. I used to take my 80cc yamaha scrambler apart when I was younger as I ruined it every time I rode, and am looking forward to learning about and maintaining a bike again.

I just saw your intro thread as well and talking about the CFMoto650nk which looks like not a bad bike actually, wonder how much a second hand one could be picked up for in CHina..

7. #7 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi China traveller1,

Welcome to MCM.

I am going through the motions of getting a Bike license in HuiZhou at the moment, and it seems I am getting no where. It seems that the authorities in their wisdom are not accepting applications from foreigners at the moment.

I live near Autou, just east of Shenzhen, i can find you a great place to store your bike once you have it.
    If you already have a China car license, I may be able to point you in the right direction in Huizhou. I did mine last year in Huidong, live in Shenzhen and have CBR 250 in Huizhou.

8. #8 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    The first answer to anything in China is always "NO". Never ask, TELL them, I am here to get a C1E license and I'm not leaving until you prove it can't be done. Since every city in Guangdong hates motorcycles, I wouldn't be surprised if it IS impossible for ANYONE to get a C1E in Guangdong.

That said.... I will say it one more time, JIANGMEN is the largest motorcycle city in Guangdong and has a very pro motorcycle government because a HUGE volume of their tax revenue comes from the motorcycle industry. I have registered several bikes there over the years without issue. I do not know about the licensing thing because I've had a C1E since the days when Chinese people thought owning a motorcycle was acceptable and they were easy to get. I do know that a whole bunch of people got their licenses and regs done there as late as 2011

Cheers!

I have a few friends who ride in China already and when I asked about a license they said Hai Nan for some reason. Not sure if they meant buy one there for 10,000 rmb or be able to get a bike license officially and registered etc... Saying that, Jiangmen sounds like a likely bet. I guess getting a license and registration there would mean going there to do the tests both practical and theory etc, as I don't have a home country bike license, only car license..

9. #9 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    China V.

I agree with No is normally the first answer but in this case one of the driving schools has tried really hard to sort this out for me, maybe ti had something to do with my promise of a red envelope :-). Actually my girlfriend signed up at this driving school to take her Motorbike license.

It does seem like I will be going elsewhere to get my license.

10. #10 Re: Newbie to this Forum, Living in Shenzhen 
    China Traveller1,

Exactly my thoughts when I saw these storage units, I need a place to do things and these are perfect. Yes there are security guards at the gates and they do patrol regularly, they keep poking their heads around the door when I'm doing things in my unit to check that all is ok. My unit it right at the bottom of the lift from my apartment, so easy to check up on a regular basis.

I think I have spoken to the same agent that you mention, I get the idea that you will get a license with them whether you have a motorbike license or not from a different country.It all seems really dodgy but if the license is valid it must be ok !

I am planning on getting a Dual Sport bike, something like the Honda CFR250L but it seems that the Suzuki V Strom 650 will be available at the Suzuki dealers in China early next year so I might wait and get a real bike. I visited my local Suzuki dealer this afternoon and asked him about the V Strom, he had no idea but was straight on the phone. He will get back to me asap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast