Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 First post introduction 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My name is Rob, I am new to MCM. I live in Tasmania which is a state (like a province) of Australia. Tasmania is an island state with a small population (500,000) about the size of England and great for riding.

I was the first to buy a Cfmoto 650TK here in Tasmania which is why a forum like MCM is an important source of information for me. I have read all posts on this site and feel that I should reciprocate with my experiences with this machine.

IMG_0027.jpg

I am 56 and only started riding 2 years ago. I believe that if you have not grown up by the time you are 50 then you don't have to.

I started on a Suzuki GS500 before buying the 650TK. In Oz they call it the TK, it has some differences to the TR mainly colour and power. The TK is throttle limited to 40HP so that anyone can ride one, only 2 year plus riders are allowed on more powerful motorcycles. Cfmoto have decided on the limited version in Australia only because this is the largest market segment although it is very easy to remove the throttle limit to get the full 60HP.

I bought the TK site unseen based on internet info and the very attractive price. The TK is about 60% cheaper here than say the E6N or Honda 700 De-ville. My GS500 naked is a fantastic commute but most of my riding will be touring which is why I looked at the TK. Now I have one I am more than happy with what it offers.

I have a mechanical and electronics background and have spent more time modifying than riding. I am tuning it to fit and suit me, most of what I have done or will do would benefit most riders. I will post details of mods in the appropriate forums which include ;

• Sidestand mod - lengthen 30mm, a larger foot and removed the slack in the pivot.
    • Windscreen - added an X-Creen spoiler extension because we get the short screen here.
    • DRL LED lighting - added a LED spot and flood on the forks to increase viability and add more low and high bean light.
    • Brake lights - added flashing module to strobe, flash then steady when brakes applied.
    • Top Box - added matching top box.
    • Power sockets - mounted USB and lighter sockets in side pannier.
    • Charger power - added socket in RHS glove box to connect a trickle charger.
    • Heated hand grips - added Oxford grips (3 sizes, use Adventure grips only)
    • GPS - Zumo 660 ( give me the trip meter and clock as well as GPS )

Still on my todo list is :
    • Seat mods - reshape the seat and add gel and memory foam inserts.
    • Upgrade low beam with 35W HID and high beam with 55W halogen.
    • Foot pegs - lower by about 40mm and forward 10mm.
    • Remove throttle limiter.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by trebor; 10-18-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added a few items to the list.

2. #2 Re: First post introduction 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Gidday Rob,

Welcome onboard the MCM crAzies BuS...

Noticed from a close look at your red TR/TK (same colour as my 650TR BTW aside from engine and some plastics around the frame) that you have the added pannier components, so seems you have some of the additions just announced on the 2014 model TR/TK, though perhaps not all given your upgrade wish list?

Here in PRC I've been advised by CFMoto contact that the TR can be upgraded for only a few thousand kuai more with some of the extras that are now standard on the 2014 model. I should mention before some one picks holes in the previous sentence, that the few thousand kuai remark might be referring to a possible production cost difference rather than any MSRP/OEM cost for the different upgrade items in total. If one factors in the likely cost of continental tyres, replacement instrument panel and the tall screen, just these items alone might add up to between a couple to several thousand kuai.

The engine and the main running gear aside from the brakes remain the same between the old and new models (no engine or gearbox changes):

• Spanish designed brakes
    • LED day running lights extended to the indicator/mirror pod modules
    • Accessory electrical charger plug
    • Improved/redesigned panniers
    • Redesigned exhaust/muffler
    • Redesigned instrument panel (inclusive of clock, trip-meter)
    • Continental tyres as standard
    • Taller screen (more touring orientated) which will be available to purchase for older models (available in PRC end of October).

When myself and another MCM member spent time looking at the 650TR that Buck and Amy were provided for the Great Ride of China, we counted at least 11 differences.

Anyway Rob, when/if you get round to posting about all your upgrades etc, link back to this thread if you can and I will add them to my compilation thread.

CF650TR-thread-compilation
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-18-2013 at 04:29 PM.

3. #3 Re: First post introduction 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The TK version in Oz has 2 latches on each pannier but still has the clumsy key latch. The extra latches ensure that they can not come open but are marking the paint work all ready. I don't think there are any other differences, I don,t have the trip meter, clock etc. My TK is red with all black under carriage whereas I think your TR is silver.

I should also mention that I have also added heated grips and an airhalk seat pad on top of polar mesh seat cover which is great for summer.

4. #4 Re: First post introduction 
    Nice entrance Rob, welcome to mycfmoto.

Looking forward to reading more about your mods, particularly the strobing brake light. I want one on my new bike too but haven't looked into how it's done yet. It's one of those rare mods that not only looks badass but is also safer. Good stuff.

5. #5 Re: First post introduction 
    The rear tail/brake light strobe effect works well. Last weekend, one of the guys who rode over to Taohuadao (group ride of 8 bikes and 12 people) had this fitted to the rear tail light on a R1150GS. When ever the rider of the GS applied the brake, the tail light would flash in a strobe pattern maybe about half a dozen times, before illuminating fully on for the duration the brake was being applied. Once the brake was let off, the tail light would return to normal operation (he rode with head light on as did most of the group).

I'd imagine that such an effect would be even more noticeable if the topbox has an LED in it that is wired/spliced into the brake light in tandem with the strobe controller too.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-18-2013 at 11:27 PM.

6. #6 Re: First post introduction 
    Hi Rob, welcome to the CFMOTO club!

About your mods, I was thinking bring the pegs forward 10-15mm. But then again you could just make the shifter that much longer. Also you can change the shifter angle.

Also according to the parts guide the LAMS version has different throttle bodies and a differently programmed ECU. This is not a job for an amateur. Some people have thought that the difference is in the throttle grip, muffler or air-box restriction and have attempted to unlock their extra power, but I think these methods will just reduce torque and create a lean engine condition or do nothing.

7. #7 Re: First post introduction 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have been told by a CFMoto official in Oz and my CFMoto mechanic and have seen a few comments on the net that the throttle restriction is on the injector body. It is a simple bracket with 1 screw. This limits full throttle and has no effect on fuel to air ratio or torque below the limit setting. Also the ECU does not need to be altered or replaced. The rated torque in the spec is the same for 40HP or 60HP which confirms that it is not a remap issue but a simple limiter. The restriction is defiantly not at the grip end.

I have not done the mod yet but will at first service when I remove all covers to get access and will then confirm what I hope and believe to be the case. Despite this, I don't really need the top end speed and have the full torque range now. If you wanted to race then you would want it un-restricted.

Keep you posted.

8. #8 Re: First post introduction 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    More info on my brake light flasher.

I bought it on e-bay from china for about $4US. It is called GS-100A Strobe Controller for LED stoplight. You simply splice it in line with the stoplight wiring. I did mine under the seat between the ECU and the light. When you apply the brake, the LEDs quickly strobes for 0.6 sec then flashes for 3 seconds and then steady on. The effect is great, if this does not get their attention, nothing will.

Strobe module.JPG

Cheers Rob

9. #9 Re: First post introduction 
    Flash strobe controller flasher module for LED brake light 12-16v (SKU-RC1)

Flash strobe controller Taobao search 频闪灯刹车灯闪光器