Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 First post introduction 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    My name is Rob, I am new to MCM. I live in Tasmania which is a state (like a province) of Australia. Tasmania is an island state with a small population (500,000) about the size of England and great for riding.

I was the first to buy a Cfmoto 650TK here in Tasmania which is why a forum like MCM is an important source of information for me. I have read all posts on this site and feel that I should reciprocate with my experiences with this machine.

IMG_0027.jpg

I am 56 and only started riding 2 years ago. I believe that if you have not grown up by the time you are 50 then you don't have to.

I started on a Suzuki GS500 before buying the 650TK. In Oz they call it the TK, it has some differences to the TR mainly colour and power. The TK is throttle limited to 40HP so that anyone can ride one, only 2 year plus riders are allowed on more powerful motorcycles. Cfmoto have decided on the limited version in Australia only because this is the largest market segment although it is very easy to remove the throttle limit to get the full 60HP.

I bought the TK site unseen based on internet info and the very attractive price. The TK is about 60% cheaper here than say the E6N or Honda 700 De-ville. My GS500 naked is a fantastic commute but most of my riding will be touring which is why I looked at the TK. Now I have one I am more than happy with what it offers.

I have a mechanical and electronics background and have spent more time modifying than riding. I am tuning it to fit and suit me, most of what I have done or will do would benefit most riders. I will post details of mods in the appropriate forums which include ;

• Sidestand mod - lengthen 30mm, a larger foot and removed the slack in the pivot.
    • Windscreen - added an X-Creen spoiler extension because we get the short screen here.
    • DRL LED lighting - added a LED spot and flood on the forks to increase viability and add more low and high bean light.
    • Brake lights - added flashing module to strobe, flash then steady when brakes applied.
    • Top Box - added matching top box.
    • Power sockets - mounted USB and lighter sockets in side pannier.
    • Charger power - added socket in RHS glove box to connect a trickle charger.
    • Heated hand grips - added Oxford grips (3 sizes, use Adventure grips only)
    • GPS - Zumo 660 ( give me the trip meter and clock as well as GPS )

Still on my todo list is :
    • Seat mods - reshape the seat and add gel and memory foam inserts.
    • Upgrade low beam with 35W HID and high beam with 55W halogen.
    • Foot pegs - lower by about 40mm and forward 10mm.
    • Remove throttle limiter.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by trebor; 10-18-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added a few items to the list.