Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The side stand used on the CF650 is far too short making it heavy to stand up and at least some (if not all) have far too much slop in the joint. My bike slips 75mm due to the slop until it settles which can be unnerving because it feels like it is going to go over when you set it on the stand.

Based on the bigfoot mod which uses a machined block of aluminum, I added 30mm to the stand using some nylon blocks and a 6mm steel plate. I cut the nylon from an old 12mm thick food cutting board.

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

Two nylon blocks glued, the top one a bit bigger than the original foot and the second larger and then a steel block the same size as the top block. The result is 30mm of extra height with minimal weight added due to the light nylon but still has a strong metal base plate for wear. I made the second nylon block larger to act as a pad in soft ground if the steel pad sinks. I tapped the original foot and used 3 stainless steel 6M counter sunk head metal threads to bolt on the extension. I added nuts on top but could have cut them level. A coat of paint hides all.

When I pulled the side stand apart I discovered that the slop was a result of too much clearance between the arm and the frame and clearance between the bolt and the frame hole. The side clearance is easily fixed with a suitable washer but the bolt needed to be turned down on a lathe and sleeved to match the size of the frame hole. It was easier to build up the diameter of the bolt than weld and drill the frame hole. As a result of these 2 adjustments, the slop has disappeared whereas you could move the stand 75mm sideways before the mod.

The lean is now much better. My mod was 30mm you could go to 40 like bigfoot and get more upright. The larger pad on my foot is a bit ugly but great for soft ground and does not interfere when folded up.

IMG_0016.jpgIMG_0023.jpg

2. #2 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Nice effort...

Mod linked to the CFMoto CF650TR compilation thread

3. #3 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Added - I use a rear paddock stand to service the chain etc but I also have a front wheel stand which I ride into to lock the bike upright with no need to use the side stand at all.

This stand is good for:
    • parking
    • maintenance
    • supporting the bike and use the paddock rear stand on your own

I have the stand bolted to the floor so you could use a chain to lock it up. They are also work well in a trailer to hold the bike upright. Simply ride into the stand and it self locks the tire into the bracket.

20131111_180228.jpg
    If you haven't grown up by the time you are 40, you don't have to!

4. #4 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for posting about the side stand foot plate mode.

I note you have a SHAD top box.

Which model is it?
    Was it difficult to fit?
    Did you need to buy a top plate and do any mods to it?

Thanks

5. #5 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have a Shad 35 and just by luck the red matches perfectly. It comes with a mounting plate but the holes do not line up so I had to drill the 650TK plate using the Shad plate as a guide. Very easy. I have since added the Shad brake light kit which mounts onto the Shad plate and stays there even if you remove the top box. Very neat. I pulled the brake light apart and added a strip of 6 LEDS on each end and covered them with orange film and wired them to my indicators. Works great and was also easy to do. I bought one of those LED PCB strips which can be cut into segments.
    If you haven't grown up by the time you are 40, you don't have to!

6. #6 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    The side stand used on the CF650 is far too short making it heavy to stand up and at least some (if not all) have far too much slop in the joint. My bike slips 75mm due to the slop until it settles which can be unnerving because it feels like it is going to go over when you set it on the stand.

Based on the bigfoot mod which uses a machined block of aluminum, I added 30mm to the stand using some nylon blocks and a 6mm steel plate. I cut the nylon from an old 12mm thick food cutting board.

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

Two nylon blocks glued, the top one a bit bigger than the original foot and the second larger and then a steel block the same size as the top block. The result is 30mm of extra height with minimal weight added due to the light nylon but still has a strong metal base plate for wear. I made the second nylon block larger to act as a pad in soft ground if the steel pad sinks. I tapped the original foot and used 3 stainless steel 6M counter sunk head metal threads to bolt on the extension. I added nuts on top but could have cut them level. A coat of paint hides all.

When I pulled the side stand apart I discovered that the slop was a result of too much clearance between the arm and the frame and clearance between the bolt and the frame hole. The side clearance is easily fixed with a suitable washer but the bolt needed to be turned down on a lathe and sleeved to match the size of the frame hole. It was easier to build up the diameter of the bolt than weld and drill the frame hole. As a result of these 2 adjustments, the slop has disappeared whereas you could move the stand 75mm sideways before the mod.

The lean is now much better. My mod was 30mm you could go to 40 like bigfoot and get more upright. The larger pad on my foot is a bit ugly but great for soft ground and does not interfere when folded up.

IMG_0016.jpgIMG_0023.jpg

Hi! There,

Would you please share with me the total length of side stand before and after mod. look good, not sloppy and easy to hold up the bike.

7. #7 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruang Sak View Post
    Hi! There,

Would you please share with me the total length of side stand before and after mod. look good, not sloppy and easy to hold up the bike.

PM me have 1 left of these type see link

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...4705#post64705
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    PM me have 1 left of these type see link

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...4705#post64705
    Do you still have the side stand extension?

Regards

9. #9 Re: CFMoto 650TK/TR/NK side stand mod 
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Do you still have the side stand extension?

Regards
    Hi Dave
    sent you a PM ...
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"