Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    Well i've finally got round to it. This ride was my first anywhere and started a love affair with bikes and China. At the time we were all living in Yangshuo and riding our taxi bikes to the river and on some small day trips around the area when we had a collective brainwave and decided to go on a proper trip. We had no gear and even less of an idea but that's what made it! Still probably the best trip I've ever done.

We shipped the bikes to Chengdu on the train from Guilin then headed west through Kangding and eventually Litang where we headed south and on to Zhongdian (Shangelila) then Lijiang, Dali and finally Kunming.

here's the route...

route.jpg

109_0991.jpg
    On the train from Guiln to Chendu. the bikes had taken the same route a week ahead of us.

109_1000.jpg

109_1023.jpg
    We arrived in Chengdu with enough time to get the bikes from the train station, find a hotel and go out and get shitefaced. We stayed in one large room in a crappy hotel and some of us were more worse the wear than others..

109_1024.jpg
    ...Bill paid the price with his eyebrow
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.

2. #2 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    109_1037.jpg
    Outside the hotel in Chengdu the morning after the night before. All ready to start our adventure proper with literally no idea what was in store for us!

109_1049.jpg
    Bong on dude! West of Chengdu

109_1064.jpg
    The first problem - a leaky petrol tank on Ozzie Paul's ride

109_1083.jpg
    Somewhere near Kangding

109_1102.jpg
    As we gained altitude we stopped to add wires to the main jet in the carbs. Here I'm in watch and learn mode!
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 12:45 PM.

3. #3 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    DSC_0026.jpg
    Me exploring a pikey kitchen near the hotel on out first night.

DSC_0039.jpg
    Our hotel on that first night, just past kangding. We were outside drinking and causing general mischief when the coppers came up and went through all our passports. Things were looking a bit sketchy but after we told them we were humble English teachers they said good luck on your trip and even gave us their business cards with instructions to call if we experienced any difficulties.

DSC_0045.jpg
    Filling up with petrol

DSC_0053.jpg
    First high pass on day #2

DSC_0074.jpg
    Shortly after the previous photo was taken Nick's rain condom, which was wrapped around his handlebars after a brief shower, blew up in his face blinding him completely, but not before he saw a truck coming his way! He naturally veered to the right and ended up in a drainage ditch. Luckily the bike suffered minimal damage and his 40 quai helmet saved his noggin.
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 12:54 PM.

4. #4 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    DSC_0092.jpg
    Meeting up before a turning over a bridge. This was way way before any of us owned smartphones or had any experience with GPS. We had a crappy little map and relied on locals and short term memorisation of town names.

DSC_0075.jpg
    Nick's drainage ditch

DSC_0079.jpg
    Temple viewed from up high

DSC_0085.jpg
    getting some repairs to Nick's bike post crash

DSC_0086.jpg
    Can you smell what the rock is cooking?!!
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.

5. #5 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg
    First view of the big mountains

DSC_0117.jpg
    Nick picked up a local hitchhiker

DSC_0123.jpg
    I think Nick took the daughter on his bike, brother Bill chauffeured the mum!
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 02:49 PM.

6. #6 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    DSC_0114.jpg
    Plateau scene

DSC_0131.jpg
    After coming down from a particularly cold and windswept mountain pass we were saw a young boy by the road selling some random stuff so we stopped and asked where we could stay in the area. He said we could all stay at his family's house and we had had more than enough for the day so we all piled in having parked the bikes on the ground floor with the livestock. It was a great front room with a sofa/bed around the outside and we got stuck into some yak and butter while an uncle was sent off to fetch some beers. We had a few and Bill and Ozzie Paul were feeling the effects of the altitude a bit but nothing too serious so after a while we just spread out the bedding and slept where we were sat in the living room.

I'm a light sleeper at the best of times and even more so above 4000 metres and I woke at dawn to see the matriarch of the family tidying up the tables, I thought nothing of it and tried to get back to sleep. Shortly afterwards everyone was up and about and we had a bit more yak then started to pack the bikes up. We'd had a lovely evening and our guard was certainly down, I'd left my CB radio on the sofa deliberately as my hands were full with gear to be bungeed onto the bike. I came back upstairs to pick up my radio and helmet and it was nowhere to be seen. The mum was tidying up the cushions and I said I'd just left the radio there and had she seen it. She deftly then rustled around a bit, produced the radio from under her clothing pretending it was under the cushion. Nice try but not good enough! I didn't make a big deal out of it and we were soon on our way. Later on it turned out that Timmy and Missy's sunglasses had been swiped from the table right under my nose! They were unsure in the morning and just assumed that they'd packed them on the bike somewhere. Of course it now made perfect sense; the random stuff the kid had been hawking on the roadside was the loot robbed from the previous passers through! Later on that day Missy had her helmet stolen from the mirror of the bike while we had noodles and quickly learned that Tibetans can be quite light fingered, or rather if it's not bolted down they'll have it away!

DSC_0137.jpg
    The man of the house

DSC_0140.jpg
    If you ever wondered how high shit can be stacked the answer lay under here!
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 03:25 PM.

7. #7 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    109_1121.jpg
    Missy with the light fingered matriarch, although I suspect the whole family were at it!

109_1126.jpg
    Messing around in the robber's lair!

109_1157.jpg
    Mountain roads - a mix of good tarmac and dirt roads

109_1163.jpg
    These Red Indian looking fellows were very taken by Paulie's tattoos
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.

8. #8 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    DSC_0150.jpg
    My bike developed an electrical fault and a new CDI from a much larger bike was bodged on and did the trick.

DSC_0152.jpg
    I can see my house from here!

DSC_0161.jpg
    Boys at the top - photo by Missy

DSC_0168.jpg
    Tim and Missy nearing the summit

DSC_0173.jpg
    More stunning scenery
    Last edited by futianshenzhen; 10-20-2013 at 03:15 PM.

9. #9 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    DSC_0187.jpg
    More tattoo appreciation

DSC_0190.jpg
    This fellow was apparently drink driving and caused some deaths.

DSC_0192.jpg
    The punishment was a walk of shame through the town followed by god knows what.

DSC_0194.jpg
    An interesting array of medicine. Piles Sir? I've got just the thing!

DSC_0198.jpg
    We hit a blizzard coming up to this mountain pass and things all went a bit crazy. Ozzie Paul had a slide and was only saved from a 1000 metre fall and a short sharp stop by a concrete stanchion on the side of the road. My bike couldn't handle the altitude or the huge incline and the carb was flooding so I had to keep stopping, taking off my gloves and draining the excess fuel. By the time I reached the top my hands were completely frozen, I think I just had a couple of pairs of white workman's gloves on, which were obviously hopeless. At the top of the pass there was a large tent filled with some Tibetans singing KTV! Definitely not what we were expecting, but they were very kind and gave us some tea and we returned the surprise by pouring it over our frozen fingers and toes. Our mixed reception from the Tibetans continued with some guys helping us repair a puncture on Tim's bike and some others taxing some spare oil and tools that were in my crash bar compartments.

10. #10 Re: Chengdu - Kunming via Litang, Tiger leaping Gorge and more 
    DSC_0200.jpg
    Fixing the puncture on Tim's bike

DSC_0203.jpg
    A rather surprising location for a KTV tent but we were very glad for the tea.

109_1198.jpg
    Some filthy KTV singing kids

109_1203.jpg
    Old bloke

109_1219.jpg
    Another shot of the puncture, the lesson to be learnt is never take your eyes off your bike, even for a moment....ever

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast