Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Quick introduction 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone,

I'm the new kid on the block. Living in Shanghai, I still have to figure out how and which bike to ride here.

Before coming here I had to sell my beloved bikes that I miss dearly. They were
    • 1998 Suzuki GSX 750 AE (my tourer for longer trips in the Alps and central Europe)
    • 1986 BMW R80 RT (cruiser for the black forest and Vosges mountains)
    • 1978 Honda XL250S (inner city fun)

Currently im studying to get my Chinese drivers license since China does not accept my international one.
    Once I get this done I'm looking for a light, affordable, and fun ride for Shanghai city.

Cheers,
    Stefan

2. #2 Re: Quick introduction 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi Stefan,
    Welcome/welkome aboard the MCM lunatic asylum, as we're all crAzIes in 'ere...

Not sure if you have seen the Getting a PRC drivers licence thread yet by ZMC888 et al.?

Getting-a-Chinese-Motorcycle-License

Worth your time and effort to explore some of the sticky's in the Ride Prep area of MCM

Ride-Prep-and-Making-Tracks

3. #3 Re: Quick introduction 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi doc,

Thanks for your advice. I haven't done much research on how to obtain my drivers license since I'm working for a Chinese car company and they are helping me with that. I learned that only have to take the written exam of 100 questions. If I pass I get the license. I was assuming that would be true for both car and bike since I have both from my home country. Is that wrong?

4. #4 Re: Quick introduction 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I see. You need to explicitly make it clear when you have your home country/original overseas licence translated that you want to apply for a motorcycle and car, as most translation offices will automatically assume car.

C1= car
    C1E = car and 2 wheeled motorcycle (2 wheeled motorcycles only excluding 3 wheels)
    C1D = car and 3 wheeled/sidecar motorcycle (which also includes 2 wheelers) meaning you can ride 2 or 3 wheeled motorised bikes).

Read the threads I listed in my reply above as the information you need to be conversant with are outlined within.

5. #5 Re: Quick introduction 
    Stefan.. Get your license and then get a small heap of crap to ride around on for a year. Something that does not go fast. Then you may stay alive long enough to think about being more adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by stfn View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm the new kid on the block. Living in Shanghai, I still have to figure out how and which bike to ride here.

Before coming here I had to sell my beloved bikes that I miss dearly. They were
    • 1998 Suzuki GSX 750 AE (my tourer for longer trips in the Alps and central Europe)
    • 1986 BMW R80 RT (cruiser for the black forest and Vosges mountains)
    • 1978 Honda XL250S (inner city fun)

Currently im studying to get my Chinese drivers license since China does not accept my international one.
    Once I get this done I'm looking for a light, affordable, and fun ride for Shanghai city.

Cheers,
    Stefan

6. #6 Re: Quick introduction 
    When you take the test just make sure you have applied for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by stfn View Post
    Hi doc,

Thanks for your advice. I haven't done much research on how to obtain my drivers license since I'm working for a Chinese car company and they are helping me with that. I learned that only have to take the written exam of 100 questions. If I pass I get the license. I was assuming that would be true for both car and bike since I have both from my home country. Is that wrong?

7. #7 Re: Quick introduction 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks guys, I feel welcome already. Good to see that bike rides are one of the strongest communities worldwide since we share the same passion.

Staying alive seems like the most compelling concept. However, I find the traffic less scary than expected. I've been riding scooters on Bali which was fun. Riding a Royal Enfield bullet 500 (inverted rear brake and gear levers, inverted directions of gears) in traffic in New Delhi was scary.

So what are your recommendations for a fun, reliable, used bike? I've been thinking super motard or something that is light, agile, and handles well. I don't care about top speed (never did) but prefer decent acceleration. Any piece of advice?

8. #8 Re: Quick introduction 
    It all depends your budget.

My friend still got this bike for sale, basically brand new, and going for a very low price: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...a-CBF150-worth

Picture of the same bike: Honda%20150F.jpg

9. #9 Re: Quick introduction 
    Hi Stefan - welcome to the middle kingdom!

With regard to your bike questions....

IMO the best touring supermotard is the Qingqi 'liger' 250 - I have a couple of friends with them and they are very reliable and are a proper go anywhere do anything bike. The only problem is getting one, as far as I know they are still an export only model although that may have changed. But don't let that deter you, as anything is possible in China as I'm sure you'll find out! Qingqi are a big government company who made their money making AKs I believe, as such they couldn't give two shits about their customers.
    suzi02.jpg

Another option is the yingang 250NF - now IMO this is by far the best value 250cc bike currently on the market. It retails for 16,800 I believe which is several thousand less than the competition. It's very reliable, fantastic fun through the twisties and is OK (slowly) off road. Another massive plus is that yingang are an awesome company to deal with, they have the best customer service I've ever experienced.
    YG250NF3.jpg

You can read about both bikes in this RR

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...hot-to-Chengdu

You've come at the right time as the Chinese motorcycle industry is really starting to produce some cool machines. The motorcycle trade show is currently on in Guangzhou so hopefully someone will post some photos here. If not I'm sure there'll be pics on some Chinese forums. I went last year and the range was impressive, from 250s - 650s. IMO a 250 is enough for most rides in China and a good engine size to start with.