Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Shanghai, Anhui, Jiangxi and Zhejang, or how I spent 1300km on my new X5 (day 5) 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Great, that you found accommodating people willing to give you a hand. So the black stuff you never worked out what it was from the starter? May have the material been something that got into the starter from elsewhere? Besides that, what was the final determination as to what was causing the bike not to start (was it the starter in the end?) and why the bike engine would cut out above 3500 RPM?
    Hi, yes... we never worked out what the black stuff was... I suspect some poor material which was scratched off during driving, or some really poor fat/lubricant whihc got too hot and cooked together.... really not sure

The bike didn't start because of 3 things:

1) the start button gave up his job
    2) this melted the electric starter engine I guess with some short circuits
    3) the starter couldn't spin with that black stuff in there

The 3500rpm thing is a bit weird as well as it's not the engine nor the fuel injection. But it was the other way around:

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    why the bike engine would cut out above 3500 RPM?
    It cut out BELOW 3500 RPM...

I suspect that even while driving the starter spins with the engine and as it was only fixed temporarily it sometimes blocked again and caused the engine to drop dead as the RPM went so much down in those situation and killed the engine... (i.e. when I was fast enough to pull the throttle the bike coughed a bit and all was good again )

Ah, one addition: we replaced all 3 things and the bike is rattling soft and sweet as a cat again...
    Last edited by Snev313; 10-29-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added comments

2. #12 Re: Shanghai, Anhui, Jiangxi and Zhejang, or how I spent 1300km on my new X5 (day 5) 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Well done and nice ride!

So did that black shit get in there whilst riding, or was it 'original from the factory'? If it's the former, i'm guessing it could be rocky bits of sticky tarmac. Did you go through road works where they were laying down fresh tarmac? I find that shit stuck on my bikes sometimes.

Funnily, my first trip around anji ended up with my bike on a truck too. Exploded front hub...
    Ouch not nice... is it Anji...

About the tarmac... The starter is a pretty much closed system and I haven't found any "tarmac" on the bike elsewhere nor that I remember driving through some road construction... I reckon poor material from the beginning...

3. #13 Re: Shanghai, Anhui, Jiangxi and Zhejang, or how I spent 1300km on my new X5 (day 5) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snev313 View Post
    Hi, yes... we never worked out what the black stuff was... I suspect some poor material which was scratched off during driving, or some really poor fat/lubricant whihc got too hot and cooked together.... really not sure

The bike didn't start because of 3 things:

1) the start button gave up his job
    2) this melted the electric starter engine I guess with some short circuits
    3) the starter couldn't spin with that black stuff in there

The 3500rpm thing is a bit weird as well as it's not the engine nor the fuel injection. But it was the other way around:

It cut out BELOW 3500 RPM...

I suspect that even while driving the starter spins with the engine and as it was only fixed temporarily it sometimes blocked again and caused the engine to drop dead as the RPM went so much down in those situation and killed the engine... (i.e. when I was fast enough to pull the throttle the bike coughed a bit and all was good again )

Ah, one addition: we replaced all 3 things and the bike is rattling soft and sweet as a cat again...
    Weird huh?

At least though it sounds as though it was a fairly easy fix. Interesting about the starter button getting stuck and then short circuited. Similar thing occurs on the Suzuki Burgman 650's. Starter button gets stuck from time to time, usually from accumulated grime and such like (easily fixed with a spray of lubricant into the switchgear). The starter though does not stay engaged ones the engine fires, so no harm done to the starter motor itself. Generally one only becomes aware that the starter is stuck is when one notices the starter hasn't 'popped' out/returned after being pressed, or the headlights are off. Headlights on the Burgman 650's are permanently wired on, and only go out in normal operation when either the starter is engaged or headlight fuse is blown. The burgman 650 has separate fuses for high and low beams.

Anyway good to know you got your X5 sorted. Watching developments with interest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12