Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    After viewing Prince666's side stand mod, and Robs side stand mod, I decided "hey, I want one of those" as I was getting a little sick of having to carry, place then retrieve a suitably fashioned block of wood, placed under the side stand to alter the lean angle of the TR while parked or when refuelling - the latter of which results in a little more fuel added to the tank when refuelling. So I contacted Prince666 who offered to help me have one of the adaptors fabricated. Discussion has also occurred concerning having these manufactrued through a mates CNC/metalwork factory, since we are investigating the possible fabrication of a centre stand for the NK/TR's. On the TR at least there is what appears to be a mounting point for a centre stand, that is obscured by the exhaust collector box.

Turns out that there may have been a longer side stand made for the CF650 as one has been seen in the wild, which according to the owner came supplied from the CFMoto factory 'like that'.

If I had to hazard a guess as to why there'd be two different length stands at some point, it might be that the shorter stand was engineered too allow for more lean so that shorter riders (a fairly common stature in PRC) to mount/swing a leg over the CF650. Just a guess though.

Kindly received the side stand foot adaptor, which I've affectionately names clubby (club-foot) from Prince666. Thanks Prince666.

This adaptor has been modified with bigger cuts into the base, resulting in weight saving of some 30% over the same style adaptor that Prince666 first had fabricated. Also differs by using only two mounting points/bolts to secure the adaptor to the side stand foot.

The photos tell the rest of the story... so enough waffle...

CF650TR_Clubfoot_01.jpg

CF650TR_Clubfoot_02.jpg

CF650TR_Clubfoot_03.jpg
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-27-2013 at 03:33 AM.

2. #2 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    CF650TR_Clubfoot_04.jpg

With bike up on racing stand, removed the fake 'frame' plastic 'cover' to allow better access to the side stand mount.

CF650TR_Clubfoot_05.jpg

Using an 8mm socket, removed the bolt holding the side stand switch. Then removed the 16mm hex nut from behine the side stand mount. Lastly removed the 12mm bolt securing the stand to the frame mount.

CF650TR_Clubfoot_06.jpg

Securing the side stand foot in my portable work bench, set about marking the adaptor holes to the underside of the side stand (foot plate), before removing the adaptor and proceeding to drill out the holes).

CF650TR_Clubfoot_07.jpg

Part way through the drilling process.

CF650TR_Clubfoot_08.jpg

The four different sized drill bits used to drill out to a 7mm dia. hole. Keeping in mind the side stand is cast steel, and likely the foot is made from a hardened steel.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-27-2013 at 03:21 AM.

3. #3 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    CF650TR_Clubfoot_09.jpg

Adaptor attached with a couple of flat washers and Allen/Hex key headed bolts. The adaptor itself has a thread tapped into it, so no securing nuts needed.

CF650TR_Clubfoot_10.jpg

Side stand reattached to bike, with the plastic 'tupperware' back in situ.

CF650TR_Clubfoot_11.jpg

Bike still on race stand, with side stand fully extended, and checked both for operation and if there was any issue in regards to extra weight. Side stand flicks up without any other assistance other than the OEM return spring combo, and there is no slack evident.

CF650TR_Clubfoot_12.jpg

The adaptor does not sit flush to the ground, given the angle of the side stand foot plate. I intend to modify this to get the adaptor to sit flush. I don't feel this will place the bike in a compromising lean angle as the wood I was using, had the bike leaning less.

Welcome clubby/club-foot, expect it'll be getting plenty of use.

One more photo with bike parked from the rear to better show angle yet to come.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-27-2013 at 03:24 AM.

4. #4 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    You are welcome Bikerdoc nice to help a fellow member on MCM 2 more are made ready to ship to other members cost 400 rmb + shipping cost
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    You are welcome Bikerdoc nice to help a fellow member on MCM 2 more are made ready to ship to other members cost 400 rmb + shipping cost
    Hi prince666, do you still have the leg stand extension? Would like one for my 650TK.

Regards

6. #6 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Hi prince666, do you still have the leg stand extension? Would like one for my 650TK.

Regards
    CFMOTO have a slightly redesigned longer side stand available which apparently rectify's the issue
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-24-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #7 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks to Mr engineer Prince about the side stand improvement...it is working when fixed on bike.....issues solved

i like it very much ....tq prince

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    After viewing Prince666's side stand mod, and Robs side stand mod, I decided "hey, I want one of those" as I was getting a little sick of having to carry, place then retrieve a suitably fashioned block of wood, placed under the side stand to alter the lean angle of the TR while parked or when refuelling - the latter of which results in a little more fuel added to the tank when refuelling. So I contacted Prince666 who offered to help me have one of the adaptors fabricated. Discussion has also occurred concerning having these manufactrued through a mates CNC/metalwork factory, since we are investigating the possible fabrication of a centre stand for the NK/TR's. On the TR at least there is what appears to be a mounting point for a centre stand, that is obscured by the exhaust collector box.

Turns out that there may have been a longer side stand made for the CF650 as one has been seen in the wild, which according to the owner came supplied from the CFMoto factory 'like that'.

If I had to hazard a guess as to why there'd be two different length stands at some point, it might be that the shorter stand was engineered too allow for more lean so that shorter riders (a fairly common stature in PRC) to mount/swing a leg over the CF650. Just a guess though.

Kindly received the side stand foot adaptor, which I've affectionately names clubby (club-foot) from Prince666. Thanks Prince666.

This adaptor has been modified with bigger cuts into the base, resulting in weight saving of some 30% over the same style adaptor that Prince666 first had fabricated. Also differs by using only two mounting points/bolts to secure the adaptor to the side stand foot.

The photos tell the rest of the story... so enough waffle...

CF650TR_Clubfoot_01.jpg

CF650TR_Clubfoot_02.jpg

CF650TR_Clubfoot_03.jpg

8. #8 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    AFAIK the other adapters have sold. However CFMOTO have a slightly longer side stand available which apparently rectify's the issue
    I will check with CFMoto Australia if it is available. If not, can help me in getting one from the factory? Thanks

9. #9 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    No worries...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

10. #10 Re: CFMoto 650TR side stand lengthening mod 
    My dealer confirmed that CFMoto Australia has the longer side stand available. Has asked them to get it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast