Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Traveling to China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all.
    I am an avid motorcyclist who has ridden 10s of thousands of miles over north america.

In 2014 I will be starting an asian adventure in Shanghai, China. I would love to bring my V-strom along but I feel it would be a lot of trouble and cost to bring it into china.

I am now entertaining the idea of buying a moto in china and riding it around china, vietnam, laos and thailand.

I have found this forum from a post on stromtrooper.com and thought I would see if anyone had any advice.

Is this Idea too crazy for a white american who speaks no asian languages?

Cheers,
    Andy

2. #2 Re: Traveling to China 
    Greets Andy,

Problem 1:China doesn't recognize foreign driving licenses or International driving permits either. So this means you have to transfer your overseas license, but you need a certain time left on your visa. This is uncertain because each area interprets/makes up their own rules as they see fit. Some time left between three to 6 months seems the norm, so this means a business visa or some other visa 6-12 months in length might be enough.

Problem 2: Big cities have English speakers and good bike availability, but bike costs especially registration are off the dial. Small cities are cheaper and easy to get the paperwork as a smile and white face can go a long way in these country areas and small cities. But the language barrier and sourcing a good bike or a warranty is a PITA.

Problem 3: V-Strom is perfect bike for China touring, but I bet they won't allow it in. You already researched this and you're correct.

Problem 4:Chinese drivers are not so good and it could be dangerous for you to adjust to this from a fairly sane American driving style.

Personally I'd suggest renting in Thailand first, then maybe try the Philippines, or buying and touring India. Then maybe try China at a later stage. In depth research is important. China is doable, it ain't easy though.

3. #3 Re: Traveling to China 
    C-Moto Noob
    Very good points ZMC.

Thanks for the heads up.
    I will probably only be able to get a 1 month touring visa. I was not planning on staying in china more than a month so it would probably be unreasonable for me to attempt to ride there legally.

Would Vietnam, Laos, or Thailand recognize my US drivers license?

4. #4 Re: Traveling to China 
    forget it.. Buy yourself a local legal bike and ride it with extreme care..

5. #5 Re: Traveling to China 
    C-Moto Noob
    how big is the biggest legal bike?

6. #6 Re: Traveling to China 
    Strom, you should be good to go in Thailand Vietnam or Laos. IDP is fine in those countries, as far as I am aware.

1000cc bikes are legal and available but very rare. A fair few locally made 600cc bikes for a reasonable price. However if you were only in China for a month you'd be likely barely even have the plates for a new one by the time you had to leave, and have no Chinese license.

Your best bet would be to have a temporary car license and buy a 2nd hand bike, but even those are not a given.

7. #7 Re: Traveling to China 
    C-Moto Noob
    I think I could handle a smooth 500 or maybe a 250.
    Perhaps I will have to wait untill I get to vietnam or thailand to make a purchase.

8. #8 Re: Traveling to China 
    Quote Originally Posted by super_strom View Post
    I think I could handle a smooth 500 or maybe a 250.
    Perhaps I will have to wait untill I get to vietnam or thailand to make a purchase.
    Hi Storm

Renting bikes in Thailand and Vietnam is easy and you dont need IDP , but is always best to have one . you can find out more about what,how,and when from this forum .

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...earchid=266344

But you will find out that all bikes which are rented out in Thailand will not be allowed to leave Thailand and most rental guys when not in big citys like BKK and Pattaya will hold your passport, you will find this more to happen up north of Thailand and on renting big bikes, if you do make it to China and you need to rent a legal bike, if you come to shandong province i have a local friend who rents out bike and sort out a Chinese DL for you so pm if you need help, i am just of on 4 months riding in north Thailand my self , you will love it hope you make it .

If you do make it to Thailand and need to rent a bike up north then try this guy he is a friend and will sort you out ok

http://crbigbikerentals.com/
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"