Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    This is how I see the press release going down. Boss cant speak English so tells jimmy new graduate guy to write it. Jimmy got his job based on his bullshit CV where he claims to have passed Cet 6 or something like it. Jimmy has far to much QQ chatting to be getting on with , so runs the press release through bing translate and submits to boss . Job done ! Back to goofing off, playing cards and skiting on Wechat about how easy his job is......
    +1
    TIC... so long as it looks the part...

2. #12 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    The general poor English is mostly an attitude. 'This is China, we are Chinese and in our territory we can use any language we like in any way we feel fit, as this is our right'. OK fine but you lose MONEY when you export goods with incorrect English, because it makes people less willing to buy.

Of course Zhu is right about the kid goofing off instead of working, but he's allowed to get away with it because the boss is too lazy/dumb to care about things that matter. You're in a marketplace with companies that have exact attention to detail you have to raise your game.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 11-03-2013 at 01:24 PM.

3. #13 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    I have no idea what nationality wrote that, I can see Italian and English and the Italian reads different then the English version.

What is the last line in paragraph one referring to “casa natale del Leone” ?

4. #14 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    The general poor English is mostly an attitude. 'This is China, we are Chinese and in our territory we can use any language we like in any way we feel fit, as this is our right'. OK fine but you lose MONEY when you export goods with correct English, because it makes people less willing to buy.

Of course Zhu is right about the kid goofing off instead of working, but he's allowed to get away with it because the boss is too lazy/dumb to care about things that matter. You're in a marketplace with companies that have exact attention to detail you have to raise your game.
    Yet Qianjiang has yet to release any official information about either of the two bikes in Chinese. Some Chinese bikers have caught on to this and there has been a bit of a backlash on motorfans with a lot of people being pissed off at Qianjiang for giving the cold shoulder to the domestic market.

5. #15 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Re Chinglish.

Even Suzuki can't get it right. I managed to get my hands on the English owner's manual for the GW250 (written in China for the export bikes). It isn't a bad example of Chinglish, but there is enough of it to make Suzuki look bad. Reading it, I have a funny feeling that it was done by a committee of CET-6 and white faces.

"Native speaking" white faces can be misleading. Lots of my native-speaking countrymen from back home can barely compose a sentence. How would a Chinese manufacturer know if their staff (or an MCM netizen) was any good? In a similar vein, I'd have no way of knowing if a Chinese guy on Motorfans has Chinese-writing skills. Seems that a company should pay the price and use professional writers and editors. If I'm not mistaken, that is the typical game plan for companies back home - many use professional writers for user manuals, without any need for translation services.

You're correct - it really makes a company look bad. Like they just don't care.

Re Felix's "Riders against beaks" ... sounds too negative ... "Pug dog lovers" seems softer.

6. #16 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Chinglish press releases from multi million dollar companies goes beyond pathetic.
    This is how I see the press release going down. Boss cant speak English so tells jimmy new graduate guy to write it. Jimmy got his job based on his bullshit CV where he claims to have passed Cet 6 or something like it. Jimmy has far to much QQ chatting to be getting on with , so runs the press release through bing translate and submits to boss . Job done ! Back to goofing off, playing cards and skiting on Wechat about how easy his job is......
    +1
    TIC... so long as it looks the part...
    The general poor English is mostly an attitude. 'This is China, we are Chinese and in our territory we can use any language we like in any way we feel fit, as this is our right'.
    I am sorry to rain on your parade guys, and I am doing this against my own kind, but we are not facing a case of TIC here. Instead, we are looking at the sloppiness and lack of talent of the Italian subsidiary, which has its press releases redacted by an intern/fresh-graduate-in-business-management or by a secretary-major-in-foreign-languages-whos-never-been-abroad. Certainly not by a translation pro. And poor them, it's not their fault, their English is good enough to carry out their everyday job more than OK.

What is even worse, the Italian version of the press release has probably not been written by a professional either, for I wouldn't say it is perfect. It could be the same person that first wrote the Italian, and than translated word-by-word into English, doing exactly what they teach you not to do at your first translation class.

If you have some skills in both languages, compare the same paragraph and see for yourself: questionable syntax in the Italian version and word by word translation.

Per il 2014 la gamma moto Benelli è stata valorizzata ed arricchita di nuovi modelli, soprattutto per quanto riguarda la famiglia BN. La prima novità è BN600GT, versione Gran Turismo della BN600R, di cui ripropone il propulsore a quattro cilindri in linea, quattro tempi. Si tratta di una sport-touring lungimirante, di media cilindrata, la moto intelligente che si adatta ad ogni tipologia di pilota e che garantisce contenimento dei costi. BN600GT sarà disponibile da metà del 2014.
    For 2014, the Benelli motorcycle range has been enriched with new, especially for the BN series. The first news is BN600GT, the GT version of BN600R, which reproduces the inline four-cylinder engine. This is forward-looking sport touring, mid-sized, the intelligent and smart motorcycle suitable for any type of rider, that guarantees also cost containment. BN600GT will be available by mid-2014.
    It's a shame nonetheless, I totally agree with the MCM consensus.

Cheers and ride safe

7. #17 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    http://download.hexun.com/ftp/all_stockdata_2009/all/063/212/63212252.PDF

translate that and then interpret the values....

8. #18 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    Vale, it's an translation which has been done on auto-translate, its an embarrassment to Benelli/QJ. Tried it in both Bing and Google, unsurprisingly it's an exact match to the Italian/English translation from Google translate.

We can never know who translated it, a sloppy Chinese kid, or an Italian fed up with their new Chinese overlords. There is no person with passable English 'doing their best'. It shows a lack of care and will damage their sales. That press release was sent to motorcycle media across the world.

9. #19 Re: Two new Benelli bikes 
    OH I see its the the home of the the Lion.
    “casa natale del Leone”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12