Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Roads to take or to avoid 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi,

Few months ago I was cruising around China constantly wondering what road I should take. I figured I could go through all the RR here and i could find some nice ones all around China but it would take forever to read them all.
    So I had an idea that it would be nice to have a thread/data base with all the roads that are worth riding on (or best avoid) if you are in the area. MCM members would post some detail of roads that are, in their opinion, worth taking including maps and some pictures of the road (scenery). Each post would start with province name, this way one wouldnt have to read everything to find area of interest.
    Of course off-road riding areas would be a good addition too.

Lets say this idea picks up and we create good size date base. Next time when futianshenzhen will plan to go somewhere (as he always does) he could simply go through this thread and find places worth visiting without a risk of being stuck on some shitty, crowded road.

greets

2. #2 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    ZHEJIANG

I will start.
    I live in Taizhou in Zhejiang and as most of you know roads in this province are pretty good. Every week when I have some time I try to go to a different place around Taizhou and here I highlighted some of the most interesting roads of the area. They all are pretty good (tarmac or concrete) with amazing scenery and interesting villages/countryside. Lots of wooden houses, rice on roads in autumn. Orange, pomelo, kiwi and shi zhi trees along the roads. Can also get some nice, home made, smoked bacon if you lucky ;)
    Im posting pictures of google maps cos when i save it it doesnt work but in case someone knows how to make it work heres the link click

Last edited by modron; 11-01-2013 at 09:14 AM.

3. #3 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    This is something Chinabiker and I talked about extensively a couple years ago. If you dig around, you will find a thread here where we discuss the fact that a forum is not the best way to hold this kind of information. We need something more like Sundaymorningrides.com, an interactive map which shows the routes people have taken and the kind of roads they can expect while traveling there. Given the fact that we can barely get people to post ride reports with pictures, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for people to post detailed route information. The other big problem with this is the fact that there are so many roads in China that change from year to year, it's very difficult to know if the road will be like it was the last time someone came through.

Great idea, but hard to get people on board.

Cheers!

4. #4 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    Thanks for the initiative and the beautiful pics. As China'?' mentioned we tried this before, without great success. Here are a few threads where the topic was covered.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-feature-(you)
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...t-biking-roads
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...s-Roads2Go-com

5. #5 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    I join in! We have some roads to go.
    There is a blog: www.roads2go.com
    Some of us have already posted there. Do it here also!

6. #6 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    The problem with China is other than some very small roads and city streets all the trucks are extremely overladen and smash most new roads to pieces within about three years. Also maintenance is generally treated as a dirty word meaning every road is rebuilt on average every five years, so unless someone has ridden a particular road in the last six months it's a complete crap-shoot whether you'll be riding on pristine tarmac, concrete or a lunar landscape.

I know practically every road in central Shandong and I get caught out by road conditions now and again. Although there are some roads which are consistent.

7. #7 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    Thanks Sabine, I have added my routes to roads2Go.com. We should all post our favorite roads.

8. #8 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Beautiful, beautiful pix, Modron. A million thanks for posting. Zhejiang rocks, once you get there.

cheers
    euphonius
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Good to know that you guys like the pictures. I will be posting some more from my rides ;) I bought a new camera and discovered photography again!!!! my old, big professional one brought my passion to an edge of a black hole but now Im rescued by this amazing little thing. You just wait.

As for the main idea itself, its a shame that the reality is so cruel. I will trust your experience. Will post my tracks at roads2go

10. #10 Re: Roads to take or to avoid 
    Great idea, i have a few highlights from this year that I can put up. Here's a local one for now - just outside of Shenzhen.

localloop.jpg

The road below the Heyuan reservoir is a proper racetrack and has hardly any traffic. It has also just been resurfaced so get it while it's hot!

The reservoir at the bottom of the picture is near Baipenzhu, apparently there is a loop around the north of the reservoir but I've never done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast