Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Kawasaki Z250 stripping 
    Hey,

I'm into naked bikes, but don't feel reasonable, experienced and rich enough for something over 40hp.

So I'm getting a Z250 this December.

Problem is, I don't like her head & fairing, makes me feel like she isn't a real naked bike, and could use some "trimming" as a 32hp bike sure will benefit from losing a few pounds.

Also I hope to make it straight out of the shop somewhat less valuable to thieves, as I'm getting it just before CNY...

So before to start boring y'all with I think I'm gonna do this and I hope I can do that, here's an illustration of the whole thing done:

Z250DeMesReves.jpg

I'd like it all to be 100% reversible to stock.

Mostly it's all about unscrewing stuff off, then screwing an old school head-light on, crash bars to dress a bit the skinny body, fitting a pair clip-ons and a skinny muffler.

I think the clip-ons are gonna be the biggest challenge, probably gonna have to forget that, since the coolant liquid tank is under the right hand, and there's probably something important too under the left one, couldn't get a peak at what yet.

I also know zip about how to update the ECU after fitting an after market slip on, as my computing skills stop when I close Photoshop... So I'll probably leave that to the Japanese guys on Tianshan rd, or will get one of those u don't need to cut the pipe nor update the ECU...

No, you're right, I don't really know what I'm talking about, still I hope it makes sense and looks doable especially to the old school members of this forum who actually can build a bike with a drill and a hammer from pile of crude metal...

Please let me know what u guys think.

Peace.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

2. #2 Re: Kawasaki Z250 stripping 
    There is always much more in these little tweeks then expected.
    You might need some new panels, as removing the old ones will leave gaping holes, hoses need to be replaces as they are always just too short after replacing the expansion tank, cables are never the correct length if you change handle bars, electric cables mis-match ... etc.

It all depends how professional you want to do this, but if you want to have the "clean" look, you will need to replace all the parts now fitted under those wings.
    The reward that you should be able to use clip-ons without interference.

On the exhaust, you might want to see how it works out.
    If the ECU is fitted with AFV (Adaptive Fuel Value), then you might be good after some riding (the ECU will probably enrich the mixture over the whole range).
    If not, you can always start to tweak the maps, but be sure it is done by someone who knows what he is doing.

Nice little project!

3. #3 Re: Kawasaki Z250 stripping 
    Your idea makes complete sense, but like 998 says those fuel tank side panels are going to be a pain. Also you won't really save much weight, and also make you less aero dynamic so lower your top speed unless you duck right down. Those panels don't weigh much and any muffler mod will probably make you lose torque unless it's been dyno tested.

You'll need to remove the fuel tank side panels to get the right look, but underneath them it's ugly maybe with a water reservoir under one of them, plus some ugly hangers, so the bike will only look pretty if you do things non-reversible, personally I wouldn't advise that. Also if you don't remove the panels you'll be restricted on the bar or clip-on height you can have. The easiest thing is to remove the lower panels and change the light, but obviously when you have the bike you can see what can be done more clearly. I'm judging based on photos, like a Chinese pastry chef.

4. #4 Re: Kawasaki Z250 stripping 
    Thanks for ur advices and remarks.

I know it won't be simple, and probably can't even get 10kg weight off.

Under those panels the water coolant tank must go somewhere else, all hoses will have to be changed indeed, on the other side the battery and god knows what...

Anyways, I'll follow up here in January when I start.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

5. #5 Re: Kawasaki Z250 stripping 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    Thanks for ur advices and remarks.

I know it won't be simple, and probably can't even get 10kg weight off.

Under those panels the water coolant tank must go somewhere else, all hoses will have to be changed indeed, on the other side the battery and god knows what...

Anyways, I'll follow up here in January when I start.
    All that work to save 10kg would you be better off with a treadmill between now and January could save 10.5 kg

Also the girl on the bike had the right thinking could save 6kg more

"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Kawasaki Z250 stripping 
    Hahaha!!

I'm already as skinny as a shrimp, and want to strip a bike, nothing more, lol..

Also it ain't just about the 10kg but also about the looks, I like to see the engine almost as much as we all like to see a female rider like above, almost...
    Georges Brassens

7. #7 Re: Kawasaki Z250 stripping 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    Hahaha!!

I'm already as skinny as a shrimp, and want to strip a bike, nothing more, lol..

Also it ain't just about the 10kg but also about the looks, I like to see the engine almost as much as we all like to see a female rider like above, almost...
    Fair point good luck with the strip and i mean the bike .........
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"